Hope floating rotors with Guide RE's

Hitby

Jun 22, 2019
North Yorkshire
Evening all, has anyone successfully installed hope floating rotors (200mm) with the levo comp guide RE brakes? I'm reading conflicting reports on whether they will foul or not?

Many thanks in advance

Hitby

Jun 22, 2019
North Yorkshire
Doh. I presume the Vitus has RE’s as well? I was afraid that might be the case. Planned upgrade was to try and sort the awful squeal the stock rotors make when wet and also, add a bit of bling.

Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
yes 200mm discs with Guide RE - I too read varying reports, but when I mounted them up the just rubbed, and I wasn't interested in sanding down my callipers or similar!

Levo-Lon

Jan 21, 2020
Uk
Not a Hope then.... try different pads? Wet cold squeal is a pain but some pads work better , sinter in winter

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Taping some of the brake disk spokes with rubber tape helps reduce the resonance ScReAM.

There are still times when it happens though.

I've been trying different pad types with no "Zero ScReAM" success.

There was a thread about it .. search "ScReAM" ..

someone did say that upgrading to the 220 rotors also stopped it.

I did wonder about swapping the disks around, but then the spokes would be under compression rather than tension under braking, so it's quite a risk to try out if it fails !

Hitby

Jun 22, 2019
North Yorkshire
Does anyone know when Hope redesigned the rotor to fit on different braking systems? @R120 - was it the redesigned ones that you fitted?

I've decided to give it a bash, I can always send them back if they don't fit. ?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
When I tried it was about 18 months ago, so no idea if chawed since - the rotors do work with other calliper, but I think SRAM are the least compatible.

Hitby

Jun 22, 2019
North Yorkshire
When I tried it was about 18 months ago, so no idea if chawed since - the rotors do work with other calliper, but I think SRAM are the least compatible.

Thanks, If my googlefu hasn't deserted me it seems like they were redesigned in 2015/16 so you probably tried the same set I've ordered.

I'll just have to see where it rubs, if indeed it does and decide from there. Tweeks have despatched so hopefully they'll arrive tomorrow.

Worst comes to the worst I suppose I could just get Hope brakes to match :unsure:

Levo-Lon

Jan 21, 2020
Uk
Are they 200mm or 203mm.
I've put RT 76 shimano rotors on my levo .
Shimano are 203mm so I needed to fit small washers to raise the caliper.
They fouled the caliper otherwise.

You can buy rotor specific caliper mounts if you don't like using washers shims.

DS.

Mar 15, 2019
Devon
couldn’t get my SRAM disc to stop rubbing so I thought I would try a hope had to shave a bit of calliper and now it runs free the best it’s run since having the bike

Hitby

Jun 22, 2019
North Yorkshire
I had one glass of wine too many last night and ended up ordering some hope Tech 3 V4's. They're on back order for a week so I'll just wait to fit the rotors and get them fitted all together. I should never have ordered those rotors ??‍♂️

Hitby

Jun 22, 2019
North Yorkshire
That is a stunning bit of machining.

Screenshot 2020-02-12 at 10.20.22.png

Hitby

Jun 22, 2019
North Yorkshire
Well, the moral of the story is always listen to @R120
They rivets do indeed rub on the caliper...but, they look awesome! Attached photos below to show where they rub. I didn't spend any time trying to adjust and make it fit as the Guides will be going shortly anyway.

It doesn't look like you'd need to file off too much caliper - 1-2mm, having said that, I wouldn't chance it.

IMG_1483.jpeg
IMG_1484.jpeg
IMG_1485.jpeg
IMG_1487.jpeg

Hitby

Jun 22, 2019
North Yorkshire
Well, my V4s finally arrived. They've come with 3 sets of pads - Sintered, presumably standard (red back) fitted and an e-bike specific pad as well ?? Does anyone know anything about these as I can't find anything on t'interweb.
IMG_1494.jpeg

Hitby

Jun 22, 2019
North Yorkshire
I love them, pull them hard enough and you can lock them both but it’s really easy to modulate them to bring you to a quick stop with no drama. The adjustability is brilliant, and, in my opinion, then look great.

Due to the replaceability of each part this is definitely a set of brakes for life. Assuming they don’t clash miserably with whatever I buy in future. Perhaps I should have bought black ?

MrMarzocchi

Apr 26, 2021
Wales
couldn’t get my SRAM disc to stop rubbing so I thought I would try a hope had to shave a bit of calliper and now it runs free the best it’s run since having the bike
Mines touching a bit. Was this the same as yours?

IMG_20220205_005842.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles