Hope, any good or average and overhyped??

CrunchBytes

Subscriber
Oct 7, 2021
Warwick, UK
Have Hope F20 pedals, Tech 3 E4 (not the latest version) and Hope Pro 4 hubs. Had a sticking piston in a calliper that prompted a rebuild with new seals - a little messy, but this is after 5 years of use. And you can’t do with Shimano (I’ve replaced callipers because of leaks with Shimano). The Hope hubs are in Stans rims and after 6+ years are still bulletproof. The pedals aren’t the grippiest (I think my OneUps take hat title), but are absolutely bomb proof! ‘Robust’ just doesn’t do them service. All items have been swapped from my Jeffsy (5yrs) to my Rise, and are still going strong. Also have Hope brakes on my Capra, which are also brilliant (after a little TLC with a bleed and silicon lubing the pistons). If you want serviceability, I don’t think you can beat Hope. The brakes aren’t the most powerful, but they have been consistent, even when the pads wear down.

Stoneilove

Jan 27, 2023
England
Good stuff that is overhyped and overpriced...

I couldn't make sense of paying $260 for their cranks versus $90 for Miranda.
Over priced? Yeah like most things in life. Overhyped? Nah dont agree, being using Hope parts for decades and had very few issues, customer service is outstanding, getting replacement parts is a doddle. I guess you can buy cheaper but replace more often, i class that as a false economy.

Stoneilove

Jan 27, 2023
England
Have Hope F20 pedals, Tech 3 E4 (not the latest version) and Hope Pro 4 hubs. Had a sticking piston in a calliper that prompted a rebuild with new seals - a little messy, but this is after 5 years of use. And you can’t do with Shimano (I’ve replaced callipers because of leaks with Shimano). The Hope hubs are in Stans rims and after 6+ years are still bulletproof. The pedals aren’t the grippiest (I think my OneUps take hat title), but are absolutely bomb proof! ‘Robust’ just doesn’t do them service. All items have been swapped from my Jeffsy (5yrs) to my Rise, and are still going strong. Also have Hope brakes on my Capra, which are also brilliant (after a little TLC with a bleed and silicon lubing the pistons). If you want serviceability, I don’t think you can beat Hope. The brakes aren’t the most powerful, but they have been consistent, even when the pads wear down.
F22's beat Oneups for grip imo and also look outstanding.
Also the Tech4 V4 brakes crush any other brakes on the market, ive had the other well known top end brakes and none come close.

FirstAscent

Apr 5, 2023
Portland
I’ve been happy with anything Hope I’ve used so far which is their brakes and rotors mainly.

For their brakes I like how they also offer customizable parts such as anodized adjustment knobs. They have good modulation too if you fancy that.

Aside from my Turbo Levo, I actually run their floating rotors on all my other bikes. They work great, they look great, and have good color options. The only reason I didn’t opt for them for the emtb was because they don’t offer them in 2mm thickness. They do however offer a 2.3mm I believe but not the same floating style with fun colors :)

Stoneilove

Jan 27, 2023
England
I’ve been happy with anything Hope I’ve used so far which is their brakes and rotors mainly.

For their brakes I like how they also offer customizable parts such as anodized adjustment knobs. They have good modulation too if you fancy that.

Aside from my Turbo Levo, I actually run their floating rotors on all my other bikes. They work great they look great, and have good color options. The only reason I didn’t opt for them for the emtb was because they don’t offer them in 2mm thickness. They do however offer a 2.3mm I believe but not the same floating style with fun colors :)
I'm using the V4 floating 220mm/220mm rotors on a chipped Turbo levo and have never once wished the rotors to be 2.3mm, they are more than capable and even on the most insane runs hardly get warm to the touch.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I'm using the V4 floating 220mm/220mm rotors on a chipped Turbo levo and have never once wished the rotors to be 2.3mm, they are more than capable and even on the most insane runs hardly get warm to the touch.
Some folk love or need brakes and are hard on them I never have been. I had cantis long after the v brake was invented .

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
I've been riding Hope kit since the mid 90's and TBH thats all I use. Wheels,brakes and the other bits I favour them over any other brand.
Their first hydraulic brake - The C2, you can still buy parts for.Admittedly not all parts, but seals and the like.

Last edited:

Yorkshire Heathen

Oct 31, 2022
UK
To be fair it was a general question, but to give some context….
stems look great, would I swap my Renthal Apex, not sure.
I’ve read numerous threads about Hope brakes squeaking.
Hope F20 & F22 pedals look superb, but reviews suggest they are not as grippy as others that cost significantly less. I’m currently running Sam Hill Nukeproof and they stick like sh1t.

I suppose you’re right in that it depends what you are in the market for, how blingy you want your ride, and how deep your pockets are. 🤔

I get personal preference, just wondered how others found the products
My bike mechanic reckons Hope brakes are great.

FirstAscent

Apr 5, 2023
Portland
Sweet, good to know! I went with Magura MDR-P's on my Turbo Levo because I was running the MT7's, not that I had to use their rotors, which are 2.0mm.
When it's time to replace these I will throw on some Hope floatings because I still think they are the best looking. and besides, I'm only 160lbs anyway so I don't need the beefiest brakes ever, but I do like a good brake because my preferred trails are steep/tech going downhill of course.

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020
South East Northumberland
On a personal note I’ve never been a fan of their brakes….but I’ve bought Hope hubs and pedals and found them to be bomb proof.
Here in the Uk spares are readily available and home servicing is straightforward with the help of their in house videos.
But like everything their quality comes at a price.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
On a personal note I’ve never been a fan of their brakes….but I’ve bought Hope hubs and pedals and found them to be bomb proof.
Here in the Uk spares are readily available and home servicing is straightforward with the help of their in house videos.
But like everything their quality comes at a price.
Previous brakes were not great in terms of stopping power but the new V4 are next level.

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
Previous brakes were not great in terms of stopping power but the new V4 are next level.
Thats down tot he Tech 4 lever, probably got little to do with the caliper.

But anyway, as to 'not great' We have M4's, and Ti6's. Both excellent brakes. Hell even the C2 puts many of today's brakes to utter shame.

Last edited:

emtbPhil

Jun 20, 2021
UK
The new brakes are fantastic, I don't own any but have fitted some for a friend - very progressive and tons of power
The hubs and mechanical stuff is good because it's very rebuildable and easy to service. I see people running hope hubs for a decade+ and I can see mine lasting longer than the bike

The wheels are a bit heavy but seem very strong, mine have had some proper abuse

The rest of it like cranks, stem etc.. really I think are just light which IMO doesn't really matter when you've bolted a huge battery to the frame and most emtb riders (to stereotype heavily) aren't that light ;)
They do look pretty though!

Reactions: Dax

Duke

Feb 15, 2021
Germany
I ride a Turbo Levo Expert Gen3 and i had the Sram brake with the Galfer wave disks and the Galfer green pads front and ebike pads rear. I didn't like the Galfer wave and i didn't like the Sram code rs. I was thinking about changing the disks and the brake itselfs. I found some information about the new hope tech4 v4 but not a lot, just a few videos on youtube but not that much as normal. What happend? Isn't the brake that good, or didn't hope invest that much in the influencers?
May be better a Saint? Or a MT7? Or trying the new hope?
I had to figure out, if that brake is the price worth or is it overhyped. So i bought a pair tech 4 v4 and a pair of the regulare brakestuff disks in 2.3 mm (not the punch) and went with the hope ebike pads front and rear.
Jesus, what a brake!!! The modulation is so nice and precise, unbelievable. In combination with the rest the stopping power is hard if you like to, wonderfull!
This brake is every penny worth and gives me so much more security, downhill and even in technical uphills.
Go with it and enjoy.

Last edited:

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Used hope brakes on last 3 bikes so 12 years use and very little maintenance. They usually sell used for a good price in UK. Hope hoop wheels on last Nicolai and now using fortus ones. I broke rear hub just under a year old my fault I sent it directly to them and got a new hub on warranty . Had about 3 sets of pedals as well .

daju

Apr 21, 2019
manchester by the sea, ma
Here on the East Coast of the Troubled States of America I stopped upgrading with Hope brakes, even thought they performed very well, because parts replacement were very difficult to get.

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
Hope offer solid well made, usually cnc machined, products. Price is in the high side (but not stupid high) and weight is usually reasonable to slightly heavier than a similar priced/spec component.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles