Home Servicing

Zippy

Aug 5, 2019
Wiltshire
Hi all

It occurs to me that I ought to do a little more than just clean and lube my chain and wondered if anyone had a home servicing schedule that they adopt? I don't know whether I should be doing anything specific with the pivots for example (eOne-Twenty, by the way), and I read in a Merida manual that I should be wiping the shocks over with hydraulic oil once cleaned.

My bike mechanic friend says that the pivots do need a proper disassembly and service periodically otherwise they wear and you end up with a big bill in replacing the bushing but I have no experience on any of that.

Any thoughts?

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
Just to kick off,
After every ride or at least as often as you do your chain etc, clean suspension stanchions and seat post and spray with lube (my favourite is Juice Lubes Fork Juice).
Every week check bolts, spoke tension (just ping em to find lose ones) any play in bearings, chain length. Specialized recommend a systematic M check, front wheel, headset and controls, motor area, seatpost area, rear wheel area.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Before each ride, I go over the bike with some brushes to get dried mud off (5mins?). Then I go over it with compressed air; blast out the calipers, all the bearings around the forks etc. Wipe down hydraulics (suspension and dropper). Touch of brake mineral oil on hydraulics, work them, wipe off the dust ring that the new oil collected. Tyre pressures.

Since going to wax, my chain is still good at 100km! I used to clean and lube it every 30km.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles