General Servicing Question

RichardGB

Nov 28, 2019
West Midlands
She's started a couple of creaks and so it's time for a strip, clean and grease.

Wondering if anyone has any tips or recommendations for specific areas to check.

What problems have you encountered when doing this yourself?

Is it worth taking the motor out of the frame and giving that a thorough clean down or am I asking for trouble?

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Having a small torque wrench is handy. Also an adapter for that torque wrench and the necessary bits your bike uses (torque bits? hex bits?). And some thread locker - there are different brands but they generally work on thread diameter - smaller diameter uses a weaker loctite.

RichardGB

Nov 28, 2019
West Midlands
Having a small torque wrench is handy. Also an adapter for that torque wrench and the necessary bits your bike uses (torque bits? hex bits?). And some thread locker - there are different brands but they generally work on thread diameter - smaller diameter uses a weaker loctite.
Threadlock! Possibly the one thing I haven't got and keep forgetting to pick up. Thanks for the reminder and tip on different strengths.

Dan63

Feb 4, 2019
Brisbane
Most all the frame pivot bearings are sealed so there is no need to lubricate. The lower shock mount pivot needs to have the thru bolt regularly greased as this tends to wear if not cleaned and greased regularly.

RichardGB

Nov 28, 2019
West Midlands
I didn't know that. I'll add it to what I'm going to do.
Basically, I'm on the hunt for a creak which has only recently picked up but might be because something is overtightened.

Figure I can't go wrong with a torque wrench and re-lubing.

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
Is the creak always on, sometimes on, in time with your pedaling? May help narrow it down. I had one recently which I suspected was either seat post or front mudguard. Pulled out the post cleaned it and inside the top tube and reinstalled using carbon assembly post, also took off mudguard, cleaned everything and it was sorted - don't know which one it was. Yesterday had another, in time with pedaling, goes away with weight forward on the nose of the saddle so I'm convinced it is the saddle. All part of the fun.

RichardGB

Nov 28, 2019
West Midlands
Is the creak always on, sometimes on, in time with your pedaling? May help narrow it down. I had one recently which I suspected was either seat post or front mudguard. Pulled out the post cleaned it and inside the top tube and reinstalled using carbon assembly post, also took off mudguard, cleaned everything and it was sorted - don't know which one it was. Yesterday had another, in time with pedaling, goes away with weight forward on the nose of the saddle so I'm convinced it is the saddle. All part of the fun.

It's mostly when on rough ground and pedalling or turning. I'm suspecting the headset mostly.

I give the seat rails a spray after every ride as I'm a heavy guy so figure it needs a bit if help...

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
It's mostly when on rough ground and pedalling or turning. I'm suspecting the headset mostly.

I give the seat rails a spray after every ride as I'm a heavy guy so figure it needs a bit if help...

I have the same issue as you have described. I also now suspect the headset as there is no difference when the seat post is out of the bike.

You might want to view this video also just in case it’s the handlebars

RichardGB

Nov 28, 2019
West Midlands
All torqued up and put to bed. Many bolts not at correct torque but none devoid of grease where there should be and very little dirt ingress.

Downside is that my torque wrench is a little on the large side and I rounded a bolt off because I didn't keep it pressed in properly. It's only one of the ones under the saddle so not a big deal but irritating.

Thanks for the tips folks. She's all fresh and ready to ride again.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles