History of the eMTB

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
EMBN kinda reminds me of the old "Top Gear" motor show not only in presentation style (dumbed down like they're talking to children, although not as bad as of late) and that TG deliberately singled out one particular auto maker (Nissan) and refused to feature them.

I've heard EMBN won't feature any Giant eMTBs because it will upset their sponsors Specialized and Haibike. Could this be true?
Come to think of it, I think they only featured a Giant once - when Nico Quere won the World Enduro Series in 2019 on a MY2020 Reign.
Just speculating... perhaps EMBN had to concede because of persuasion from Michelin and DT Swiss??

Last edited:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
.................I've heard EMBN won't feature any Giant eMTBs because it will upset their sponsors Specialized and Haibike. Could this be true?..............
If that is true, it is depressing. If they are reviewing bikes, how can they not review the latest bike from Giant? And why Giant, why not all other bikes that are not Specialized or Haibike? Therefore it does not feel true to me. It would go against their journalistic instincts also.

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
If that is true, it is depressing. If they are reviewing bikes, how can they not review the latest bike from Giant? And why Giant, why not all other bikes that are not Specialized or Haibike? Therefore it does not feel true to me. It would go against their journalistic instincts also.
I can’t remember which of their videos it was, but I stumbled across a comments section where I recall some guys posed the question but didn’t get a proper answer. I was then when the same thought occurred to me.

But then I did see a 2020 Giant Reign which was the WES winning bike included in their 2020 eMTB shootout posted 2 months ago (but got snubbed big time despite that, haha). It had good and bad points just like the other bikes but apparently it had no appeal, so there you go.

I’m going to continue to casually fact check this out of curiosity. But their video presentation format is conversational in nature and often wordy - so not an easy task to watch thru them entirely with so many videos released. I do hope to find their reporting unbiased. Not that I can think of anyone who would really care if it wasn’t.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles