Hi there from Arlington Virginia..

VaseLEVO

Aug 20, 2018
Arlington, VA, USA
I am really new to this. I just got a 2018 Levo Carbon Expert. I will be picking it up tomorrow or Wednesday. Already buying mods for it. I have done some mountain biking way back over 20yrs ago in Olympia, Washington state. I have since added nearly a 100 lbs and not the same young dude anymore. :( Will need to get reacquainted and relearn how to do this.

Anyway I chance rode a demo levo comp couple weeks back and was sold within the first 15 min. I so wanted it. I found out the 2019s are not here, searched, and happened on this gold mine, watched almost all the videos. I decided not to wait any longer. After all I am noobie probably can't appreciate any of the changes anyway, plus I can always upgrade in future to the 2020 or 2025 version that is going to have wings and autopilot. :D

I am stoked! I Loved Tori's videos and ordered the same mods she did on her bike. ( More on this later). Anyway my goal is loose weight and get fit on an e-bike. I have a Specialized Sirrus Carbon Expert, but unfortunately I don't ride it as much as I'd like. Lack of motivation mostly. I am hoping the Levo will change that.

While reading and learning a ton is exciting and great, like a new medical resident who suddenly starts thinking they have every decease because they imagine they have all the symptoms, when you are new to something like this and just dropped nearly 8K on a bike then read a ton of literature on problematic suspension, one can only hope and wish they don't suffer the same fate. Apparently the Monarch RT3 rear shock does not play well with big dudes. I weigh 210 lbs and I will be really really disappointed if I experience all the reported issues. Here is to hoping I escape the curse of the monarch! Pitty no one tells you this and I found out after the fact that weight is a problem. Anyway my skills are probably bad enough I won't notice, and by the time I might notice I will have dropped 50 lbs and it won't be a problem. Thats my hope.

thank you to all of the people who have contributed a ton of knowledge on this site! It really does help all of us. My bike is being prepared now and I am like kid who can't wait for his new toy. Excited with anticipation.

njn

Founding Member
Mar 14, 2018
USA
Welcome.

The rear shock will be fine. They spec the same one on the sworks. I weigh in at 215 and have a Monarch Plus RC3 on my Stumpjumper and it's great. It's similar, but with an external reservoir. Only a little fade at the end of long downhills. Make sure you get a decent shock pump, mine only goes to 300 when the shock can go to 350. I'm currently running 280 psi with 27% sag.

VaseLEVO

Aug 20, 2018
Arlington, VA, USA
Thank you. Am too new to notice any problems but am a quick learner and as my skill level improves I’d notice any issues immediately. Luckily I won’t be doing jumps or aggressive smashing any time soon. By time am able to do so, I’d have lost some of the weight maybe.

Picked up the bike today. It’s just gorgeous and perfect in every way. It doesn’t actually look exactly like the pictures on the specialized website. It’s more of a matte look to the carbon frame ( website says satin carbon ), the rear arm is a bit more solid matte than the rest of the frame, but the difference to my eyes at least is not as dramatic as it looks in the specialized site. It’s a work of art. It attracted a small crowd and everyone was just admiring it. Without the battery it feels roughly about as heavy as my Sirius Carbon Expert. Am very very satisfied so far and whole heartily recommend it. When the mods are installed I will take pictures and post em here.

VaseLEVO

Aug 20, 2018
Arlington, VA, USA
Just got back from my first ride. 42 miles!! ( 54% battery left. More range than I will realistically ever use ). I am sure I won’t be able to walk tomorrow. I ran it in eco, and last 4 I rode uphill with battery off. I was going through the modes even hitting turbo and wondering why the damn thing was a bear to wrestle! I stopped at a store and was there for a little while. I never turned it off so I didn’t even think to check. Does it turn itself off after a long pause or is it that battery dropped out?

Another question is how do I know if am bottoming out? Am heavy at 210 - 215 lbs. LBS set it up for me and first thing I noticed is tires were basically flat ( barely any air ). Not sure if it would leak new I pumped it to 24psi. It felt fine to me and rode plush. I see the rear rubber band is way below the numbered markers on the shocks side that’s why am wondering if that means am bottoming out.

The LBS gave me 200 miles to ride and return it if I was not happy with it. Needless to say it’s not going back. It’s a keeper. I am a complete novice and even I can tell you bike is fantastic and a crowd puller. I have ridden quite a few bikes and I chose thing thing on pure feel alone. Isn’t that how we ought to judge things anyway? How the feel to you and how the make you feel? I will go as far as saying it’s best bike I have ridden by miles. My experienced bike buddy said “bike is money” after riding it.

Last edited:

Levorunner

Jun 16, 2018
Canada
Just got back from my first ride. 42 miles!! ( 54% battery left. More range than I will realistically ever use ). I am sure I won’t be able to walk tomorrow. I ran it in eco, and last 4 I rode uphill with battery off. I was going through the modes even hitting turbo and wondering why the damn thing was a bear to wrestle! I stopped at a store and was there for a little while. I never turned it off so I didn’t even think to check. Does it turn itself off after a long pause or is it that battery dropped out?

Another question is how do I know if am bottoming out? Am heavy at 210 - 215 lbs. LBS set it up for me and first thing I noticed is tires were basically flat ( barely any air ). Not sure if it would leak new I pumped it to 24psi. It felt fine to me and rode plush. I see the rear rubber band is way below the numbered markers on the shocks side that’s why am wondering if that means am bottoming out.

The LBS gave me 200 miles to ride and return it if I was not happy with it. Needless to say it’s not going back. It’s a keeper. I am a complete novice and even I can tell you bike is fantastic and a crowd puller. I have ridden quite a few bikes and I chose thing thing on pure feel alone. Isn’t that how we ought to judge things anyway? How the feel to you and how the make you feel? I will go as far as saying it’s best bike I have ridden by miles. My experienced bike buddy said “bike is money” after riding it.
Welcome to the ebike club! I still have a grin on my face every time I ride mine! 1200kms+!

levity

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Founding Member
Feb 15, 2018
SoCal
Does it turn itself off after a long pause or is it that battery dropped out?

I pumped it to 24psi. It felt fine to me and rode plush.

I see the rear rubber band is way below the numbered markers on the shocks side that’s why am wondering if that means am bottoming out.

1. Yes, the Levo will shut itself off after about 10 min of not being used. Just restart and be on your way (but note that you will again start off in Turbo power mode).

2. Assuming you have the 2.8 Butcher Grid tires 24psi is OK for street riding, but you'll get a better ride (cushioning and traction) off-rod if you drop the pressure to about 14-18 psi. Try different pressures to see what works best for you and your terrain.

3. The best way to determine full shock travel is to let all the air out and fully compress the shock. Mark the shaft below the o-ring with a sharpie and you can check max travel achieved at different times during your rides. It's very easy to set the sag on your shock (and fork), but if you don't know how to do it you can just search "how to set sag mountain bike" and you'll find lots of videos demonstrating how it's done. You can then play with pressures to get the sag and performance you want.

VaseLEVO

Aug 20, 2018
Arlington, VA, USA
I am over 200 miles and on todays ride I noticed something peculiar. The suspension suddenly felt a lot more compliant, but from the rubber bands, it doesn't appear that I used any more travel than usual. Is there a break in period for thew suspension and has anyone noticed this? Bike over all as stiff as day one, the suspension however feels a lot more compliant and flowy. its slackened enough i noticed even on relatively flat paved trail.

Last edited:

CvK

Jan 13, 2022
USA
I am over 200 miles and on todays ride I noticed something peculiar. The suspension suddenly felt a lot more compliant, but from the rubber bands, it doesn't appear that I used any more travel than usual. Is there a break in period for thew suspension and has anyone noticed this? Bike over all as stiff as day one, the suspension however feels a lot more compliant and flowy. its slackened enough i noticed even on relatively flat paved trail.

You might want to check the air pressure in the fork and the shock to ensure that it’s not that.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
So you’re saying there’s still a chance?😉
Strange you say that ... I did think afterwards that my reply might have been completely unreasonable, he could have been the ultimate MTB procrastinator. Then again, he'd bought a bike, so he couldn't have been or he'd still be waiting for next years model.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles