Hi, potential ebiker from Cannock Chase.

Lexinoo

Sep 21, 2019
Cannock chase
Hi all, long time mountain biker from Cannock Chase , looking into buying an ebike before long but wondering if I'm doing the right thing after reading all the problems people on here have been having! Might just stick with the normal bikes.
I have been considering the canyon spectral on 6 or 7,any opinions?I'm a little worried about having no local dealer support.
Which motors are the most reliable? Cheers.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Hi all, long time mountain biker from Cannock Chase , looking into buying an ebike before long but wondering if I'm doing the right thing after reading all the problems people on here have been having! Might just stick with the normal bikes.
I have been considering the canyon spectral on 6 or 7,any opinions?I'm a little worried about having no local dealer support.
Same thoughts I had . But bit bullet flew London drove home with bike 500 miles. No locals could source bikes I wanted and speaking to them realised they did not know too much about ebikes
Took my chance so here's hoping 600 miles later it has put even more fun factors in to mountain biking . You won't get many negative vibes on here

JetSetDemo

🍦Two Scoops🍦
Patreon
Apr 1, 2018
Ashby de la Zouch
Hi and welcome to the forum, I am also a Chase regular and have been ridding Levo’s Up there for nearly 3 years. I am on my second one now. I have 2017 that my wife now uses and I’ve just done over 1k miles on my 19 Expert, no issues with the 2019 at all.

My 2017 did need a new motor and battery last November when it was 18 months old after the wettest day I ever had up the Chase, all sorted by Birkshire cycles under warranty.

You won’t regret taking the plunge, just make sure you are happy with the warranty.

Thanks D

dwr budr

May 29, 2018
UK

I’m up the chase maybe a couple of times a month on my spectral on 7, love it, put a smile back on my face and i’m enjoying my riding a lot more - i’ve also bumped into another chase regular who rides a spectral on 9 all tricked out.
It’s a great bike, only problem i’ve had with it was the seat post collar shaking loose after a few peak district rides but that is soon tightened up by hand.
Would i recommend one? certainly would.... the only problem you MAY encounter are delivery woes, they can be a bit sketchy on that side if you read the canyon thread.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France

You will see people on here with motor problems, but you have to keep that in perspective. There's hundreds of thousands of emtb's out there, they don't all fall apart with motor problems on a daily basis - it's actually quite a tiny number. I spent a while trying to work out which was more or less reliable than the others, but in the end they all seem to have some potential issues where things could go wrong. One week there might be 6 people saying their brose has stopped and the next week there might be 6 people saying their giant or yamaha has gone wrong.

Generally pick your motor based on it's individual performance characteristics, they all have positives and negatives. But ultimately all the motors are good, so pick the bike based on it being what you want and what you like.

The Spectral On has the E8000 shimano, so you have 2 years shimano warranty with that - so any problems you can also take it to a shimano service centre to be sorted out.

Canyon seem to be working hard on their support side, so it's unlikely you'll run into problems. You might also take a look at Thok, another direct to customer supplier.

Another member bought one a few months ago and wrote about their experiences.

Buying a Thok Mig... - EMTB Forums

An Alpine Roadtrip with a Thok MIG - EMTB Forums

Funkeydunk

Subscriber
May 28, 2019
Uk
I’m up there three times a week on my Levo, my riding buddy has a Whyte e150. Both are outstanding. Any bike you choose will be great, I bought mine from the Spesh concept store at the fort. My mate bought his from leisure lakes. I’ve has great support from the guys at Spesh. As for ebiking At Cannock, it’s insane, regular 25 mile loops, only thing holding us back is fitness. After 3000” climbs, were toast.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles