Buying a Thok Mig...

routrax

E*POWAH Master
Jun 15, 2019
Uxbridge
Some of you might have read my thread about problems with my YT Decoy order, that's done and dusted, fast refund from YT and kudos to them for sorting that out so fast at what must be a very, very, very busy period for them.

Anyway, on that thread @Zimmerframe reminded me of the Thok MIG (I have a hazy memory of seeing a Ducati branded MIG on some website or something, but it was not on my radar as a potential emtb purchase), and with a little more research, I realised the MIG ticked almost all of the boxes on my requirements list, the main problem with it was it was from a DTC brand, which really put me off.
So I decided to call the UK Thok Point (UK rep, I guess?) and they didn't answer, which helped my growing bias against DTC brands. But, despite me not leaving a message, Emma from the TP (FC UP Sports) called me back later that day, in the evening and said she'd try to get me a bike within a week. I got two further messages on Sunday evening(!) saying that it's sorted, and we'd do the payment and other stuff in the morning. That all happened this morning and I've already had the DHL notification that my bike should be delivered on Thursday. Six days from making a single phone call.

The point behind my post is that nobody could ever expect the sublime level of customer service I've had from Thok and their representatives during the purchase process, but conversely, nobody wants the level of customer service I'd had from other DTC brands when trying to buy a bike.

So, I thought I'd share that, and a big thumbs up for Thok's sales process. I just hope the bike doesn't fall apart and cause me to throw me toys out of the pram again....

tretopflir

Jun 20, 2018
Shedonopollis
IMG_1072.jpg

Rented one in Finale. Great ride

TimVW

Jul 11, 2019
Warwickshire
Hi, Which one did you go for?

I was looking at these (among others) but can’t decide whether that as a novice emtb’er I should still consider the jump to the MIG R from the base MIG at nearly £1k extra.

routrax

E*POWAH Master
Jun 15, 2019
Uxbridge
Thok are an often overlooked brand, seems everyone who has dealt with them on here has nothing but good things to say about the company and the bikes though.
Hi, Which one did you go for?

I was looking at these (among others) but can’t decide whether that as a novice emtb’er I should still consider the jump to the MIG R from the base MIG at nearly £1k extra.

I just went for the MIG. I'm probably not of a riding level to notice the difference!

routrax

E*POWAH Master
Jun 15, 2019
Uxbridge
IMG_20190717_185626.jpg

She's here!
Less than five full days from making a call to the UK Thok point, Mandy the MIG joins Tracy the Trafic in my stable of badly named machines.

Looks pretty good in the flesh (well, ali and plastic). She's a medium which and fits perfectly for my 5' 7" ish height (I'm sure I was 5' 8" at one time) with the seatpost slightly out. Came in a very large box with only the bars to fit. Brakes on the euro/US way, which is how I roll and with the usual crappy plastic pedals in the box (red chesters going on tomorrow).

Looking forward to having a decent ride on Friday, which is my next day off.

TimVW

Jul 11, 2019
Warwickshire
That (she?) looks great.

I’m really torn between one of these and the Spectral:ON, due to the higher spec of the Canyon v lower price in the current sale. Fabulous service from Thok.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Mandy the MIG

Welcome Mandy the Mig, she looks like she has the potential to make you very happy !!! Congrats again and pleased the whole process went smoothly and stress free as it should be .

Nice pic with the mountain backdrop.

I WANT ONE ! ... :) (even if it would most probably be wasted on me)

So, are all the toys loaded in the pram just incase ? :)

TimVW

Jul 11, 2019
Warwickshire
Finally looking at Canyon reviews made me nervous, so ........I have bought a Thok MIG today instead!

Great online chat with them about sizes; very reasonable upgrade cost for Lyric forks, in stock and 24 hour changeover of parts to dispatch.

I need to transfer some funds to make the payment and that can’t be done until next week now, but it looks like another Thok is coming to the UK. Can’t wait!

routrax

E*POWAH Master
Jun 15, 2019
Uxbridge
Welcome Mandy the Mig, she looks like she has the potential to make you very happy !!! Congrats again and pleased the whole process went smoothly and stress free as it should be .

Nice pic with the mountain backdrop.

I WANT ONE ! ... :) (even if it would most probably be wasted on me)

So, are all the toys loaded in the pram just incase ? :)

Hahaha, the toys are all put away, I'm off work for 3 weeks now, so stress level = 0

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Hahaha, the toys are all put away, I'm off work for 3 weeks now, so stress level = 0

Looks like it's all fallen into place ! If you find yourself in central Brittany (lac de Guerledan), not really where anyone would head as part of a mountain biking adventure ! Look me up and I can show you the local trails. I average 15-30 seconds off the acoustic bike KOM's so a perfect/slow recon speed for normal riders, then you can loop round and SEND IT ! :)

Congrats again .. did I mention I was Jealous :)

I have bought a Thok MIG today instead!

Great news Tim ! I can't begin to imagine what you've been through mentally and physically. I hope this all works out and will be following your progress if you're willing to keep us uptodate.

TimVW

Jul 11, 2019
Warwickshire
Great news Tim ! I can't begin to imagine what you've been through mentally and physically. I hope this all works out and will be following your progress if you're willing to keep us uptodate.

@Zimmerframe - Thanks for the thoughts and happy to update as I go along. Can’t believe that I did three Triathlons last year and then get clobbered with this, but being positive, I’m over half way through chemo so should be all ‘downhill’ from here?

@routrax - sorry to jump in on your thread and have a great holiday.

myskovon

Aug 12, 2018
Leeds
I’ve had mine close to a year now and have only positive things to say about it. I’ve just put the decal kit on it to tidy up chainstay rub and general wear and tear marks.

6702EA88-3EEA-4835-AA4A-4F095E15EFA9.jpeg

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Finally looking at Canyon reviews made me nervous, so ........I have bought a Thok MIG today instead!

Great online chat with them about sizes; very reasonable upgrade cost for Lyric forks, in stock and 24 hour changeover of parts to dispatch.

I need to transfer some funds to make the payment and that can’t be done until next week now, but it looks like another Thok is coming to the UK. Can’t wait!
Nice work, good stuff. I had one in the basket to look at option prices myself this week, and it appeared the Lyrik's were about a 450 Euro upgrade, correct? Sounds like a better option to me than going for the Mig R as all the rest of the kit on the base model looks plenty solid enough for a rider of my ability.

TimVW

Jul 11, 2019
Warwickshire
I was in exactly the same place re my ability v spec, but don’t want to be immediately thinking that I ‘want’ to upgrade. It seems to me that apart from, possibly, the fork damping on the Yari, the spec on the MIG would be good for me too.

Even better, when I spoke to Thok the upgrade cost was €130.00 rather than €450.00 so a bit of a no contest really. Also added a bottle cage.

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
I was in exactly the same place re my ability v spec, but don’t want to be immediately thinking that I ‘want’ to upgrade. It seems to me that apart from, possibly, the fork damping on the Yari, the spec on the MIG would be good for me too.

Even better, when I spoke to Thok the upgrade cost was €130.00 rather than €450.00 so a bit of a no contest really. Also added a bottle cage.
Wow, that is very good value - a no brainer at that price. Sorely tempted, but we are trying to move house so it will have to wait a bit...

Last edited:

routrax

E*POWAH Master
Jun 15, 2019
Uxbridge

Is that for the whole fork or just change the damper?

TimVW

Jul 11, 2019
Warwickshire
I guess we will see, but the quote was to upgrade to the Lyrik fork. As I understand it, the fork externals are the same, so I wouldn’t be unduly troubled if it was a damper upgrade.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Its because they take off the price of the stock fork, so you are only paying the difference in price between the two on top

TimVW

Jul 11, 2019
Warwickshire
Yes, that would be the upgrade cost as you say, but in GBP retail the difference would still be c£200.00 or more, so €130.00 seems good value (including swapping on the bike as they are assembled and in stock apparently). There will be some margin on the cost price to Thok which will have helped.

I think it is an interesting point, as it would appear that MIGs are manufactured in the Far East and so the Lyrik upgrade is unlikely to be from a bulk parts consignment held at Thok in Italy unless maybe the final assembly takes place in Italy.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Its the price difference to them that they pass on with a small mark up - look on their parts section of the shop, the rear shocks are about as cheap as I have seen

TimVW

Jul 11, 2019
Warwickshire
That is my point about cost price, and I agree about the rear shock prices on the website. However, the Lyrik forks are shown as being €475.00 which is low for a Lyrik retail (maybe they have a back stock to get rid of) and, once the upgrade cost was agreed they sent me a revised proforma as the site just adds €475.00 to the sale price.

I’m not complaining anyway that it works out ?

Jaygam

Feb 14, 2019
Hampshire
Do it, is really a great bike. well made. do recommend it and dont see many of them yet.
Thok offer 2year crash damage replacment on the frame.
They are built solid.
Check all your bolts on arrival as recommended and get a suitable torque wrench that can apply <10-20>nm.
Check the through axle shaft caps occasionally.
Shimano-Ice tec pads slip stright in the m6000 calipers.
5'11 on a large is fine the frame is at a forgiving angle towards the seat stay.
Would advise to get a spare hanger with the purchase as general postage on parts and accessories is around £20 after (hangers seem unique).
6 months on, my friend and I do not regret the purchase at all.

20190801_144213.jpg

20190801_141005.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles