Hi... I was wanting to buy a Core 4/3 Mx but all sold out.... should i consider the Core 4/3 29.....

DaveNz

Apr 18, 2023
Nee Zealand
I'm 46, love flowing man made trails like the Redwoods in NZ, no park rat. Like to just ride, try to pop but no thrill seeker. Currently on a trance 2018 non ebike, wanting an ebike, through more of an Enduro bike would be fun but really like the look and sound of the YT plus great value for 2022 models.... but mullets all sold out. Question is it worth considering the 29 version? Or would a specialized levo or similar be more fun if I can get the yt mullet?

j8ch

Jan 6, 2023
arizona
Hi, Dave- I personally have the 29 (front and rear wheel) Decoy- I have ridden mullet bikes and think the slight (very slight) advantages lie in weight-savings, downhill agility (a little easier to get out over the back of the bike) and "flickability", if you like getting it off the ground- There may also be benefits for shorter riders but that doesn't apply to me, personally.
I have quite technical and rocky terrain where I live in Arizona and feel that a full 29'er makes climbing easier.. and with an ebike, weight-savings aren't really noticed much. There's a lot of fuss about mullets but if you're a flow rider that stays on the ground, a mullet bike won't be of much benefit- unless you're a shorter rider. A 29er front/rear should suit you just fine- and I agree, when comparing emtb's, it's hard to beat YT for value. Hope my insight helps a bit

Last edited:

DaveNz

Apr 18, 2023
Nee Zealand
Hi, Dave- I personally have the 29 (front and rear wheel) Decoy- I have ridden mullet bikes and think the slight (very slight) advantages lie in weight-savings, downhill agility (a little easier to get out over the back of the bike) and "flickability", if you like getting it off the ground- There may also be benefits for shorter riders but that doesn't apply to me, personally.
I have a quite technical and rocky terrain where I live in Arizona and feel that a full 29'er makes climbing easier.. and with an ebike, weight-savings aren't really noticed much. There's a lot of fuss about mullets but if you're a flow rider that stays on the ground, a mullet bike won't be of much benefit- unless you're a shorter rider. A 29er front/rear should suit you just fine- and I agree, when comparing emtb's, it's hard to beat YT for value. Hope my insight helps a bit
Hi J8ch, thanks so much for your insight, I'm definitely no air thrill seeker, don't mind a small jump but definitely in it for the flow, same as on a snowboard. So sounds if the 29 would do just fine as not short but not tall either at 5,10 and shrinking.... thanks again, so many reviews out there for all bikes good and bad it's nice to hear from people that are actually riding the bikes. The YT is currently on special with an extra battery, I'm too slow and the core 4 is sold out but still got the core 3. The others bikes I have considered and looked into were the Specialized Levo Comp Carbon, the Trance E + 0 and the Rail 9.8 xt. All which are similar but different, pretty much the same price point except the Specialized which is more.... but there is a shop locally which i guess gives piece of mind. What model and year are you riding?

j8ch

Jan 6, 2023
arizona
For sure- I have the '22 core 3 29er- I would think you'd get a better component spec for the money by going with YT (fork and shock, drivetrain) and price and spec were the deciding factors for me- if the components are all of comparable spec/quality, i'm sure you'd be happy with any of the other 3 brands. I was between the Decoy and a Rail 9.8XT and went with the Decoy bc it was about 2k less expensive at the time I was shopping (at my LBS and online). Rails are great and Trek's customer service is outstanding, so if you can get a Rail @ your LBS, that might be the play!

Apr 14, 2023
Oregon
My analog bike was a 27.5+ and is now a mullet with a 29" wheel but my Decoy is a full 29 and honestly I'm just fine with the 29 front and rear at age 50. I had a pretty hard crash last fall (on the analog bike) that resulted in a concussion and some pretty bad bruises but luckily no broken bones. It was a reminder that I'm not 25 anymore and should just enjoy the rides. I like to pop a few little jumps here and there but mostly I like a bike that is solid, handles well, and gets great traction and the Decoy 29 does that very well.

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
Spend your money elsewhere.. yt does not stand behind its products.. batteries are basically permanently out of stock unless you get "lucky" refreshing website every day.

Total failure on yt.. wouldn't be surprised if they go belly up soon.... industry is collapsing.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles