Hi from the north east of Scotland

Sencha

Jun 24, 2021
Scotland
Hi everyone, have been out today for the very first ride in my new ebike, a Trek Rail 9.8 XT. What can I say………..its a completely different world from riding an acoustic bike…………I love it! As far as the extra weight goes, I never noticed it at all. It is so much more nimble and easier to turn than my acoustic bike, a Trek Slash 8. I’m in heaven, what fun!

Would like to hear from other Rail users what suspension settings they are using. Cheers! ??

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Please Sencha ...its not a bloody guitar you've been riding ..its a mountain bike ..the usual abbreviation being an mtb ..
You have now added an emtb to your collection ..
Hope you continue to enjoy it ..

Sencha

Jun 24, 2021
Scotland
Ah Hodgie, did someone not have his weetabix this morning and is a touch tetchie? I always loved the term ‘acoustic’ bike and stole it from the great Irish folk musician Luca Bloom who had an album called, ‘The Acoustic Motorbike’. But hey, if you don’t like my humour or style of writing just move on and read another thread. Yours was such a lovely welcome to my first post on this emtb forum, let’s wait and see what others come along, maybe this is not the place for me if thread crapping is the name of the game. Maybe you’re young and communicate mostly by acronyms, many do nowadays. Hey-ho, enjoy your ride. ???

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
Hi Sencha,

Welcome!

You are lucky living up there with all the quality riding and trails... I lived there for 14 years.

Hodge wasn't being disparaging, just his style of humour... He's actually quite nice when you get to know him and I had that pleasure last Saturday.

On here most people don't particularly like the term 'acoustic' as semantically it doesn't make sense, he was just pointing out most on here refer to them as MTB and e-MTBs...

We need pics of this bike of yours out on the trails - jump into the Trek forum and/or Pic of the Day thread to post. We also accept video footage in the Let's see your ride footage thread.

Chill out and enjoy it here, we're all pretty friendly but you do have to get used to the 'style' some people have (as happens in real life).

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
Sencha ..let me ask you a question..
You say you've always loved the term " acoustic " ..indeed you claim to have borrowed the term and invented it for mountain biking purposes..prior to owning your brand new purchase did you go around telling folks that you were going for a ride on your acoustic or perhaps like the rest of us who had normal bikes you were going out for a mountain bike ride the abbrevation for which has always been mtb ?
For what its worth I didnt think I was unwelcoming ..even used the word please and wished you continued enjoyment on your new emtb ..
Perhaps it should be me feeling all hurt & upset ?
Anyway ..hope you enjoy both the forum and your new bike ..

Sencha

Jun 24, 2021
Scotland
I guess not knowing someone, the lay of the land here, posting my first post and being told “It’s not a bloody guitar you’ve been riding” did feel a tad like a telling off. Without knowing someone or getting used to someone’s writing style ahead of time, abstract or aggressive humour often does not translate well in in short paragraphs, something that is often not thought about or considered on many forums it seems. And yes, I have often used the term ‘acoustic bike’ to differentiate from my motor bikes when telling friends I had been out for a ride. And come on Hodge, you have to admit, it is a good term!! ?

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
North East Scotland. Lucky you, what fantastic places you have to ride on your doorstep. Welcome to the forum

I just spent the weekend up at Glenlivet and absolutely loved it, not just the trails but the location, scenery, vibes ???????

Sencha

Jun 24, 2021
Scotland
Hey ebiking brother, no bother. I intend to enjoy it here and will look forward to getting acquainted with other posters. Would be great to see you on the trail sometime and get used to your particular brand of humour first hand. And who knows, you might even get used to mine although I’m not promising anything. Very best, S.

Sencha

Jun 24, 2021
Scotland
North East Scotland. Lucky you, what fantastic places you have to ride on your doorstep. Welcome to the forum

I just spent the weekend up at Glenlivet and absolutely loved it, not just the trails but the location, scenery, vibes ???????

Tubbs, to be honest we are spoiled for trails here, there are so many fantastic places that are often really quiet. Glenlivet is great although there are only a few trails there so can feel like you’re going round and round the same routes. The Spey valley is gorgeous and a great place to relax and unwind when you are off the bike. A friend of mine has a house in Tomintoul which comes in very handy. ?

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Tubbs, to be honest we are spoiled for trails here, there are so many fantastic places that are often really quiet. Glenlivet is great although there are only a few trails there so can feel like you’re going round and round the same routes. The Spey valley is gorgeous and a great place to relax and unwind when you are off the bike. A friend of mine has a house in Tomintoul which comes in very handy. ?

Yes I can imagine if you’re local to Glenlivet you’d soon get a little bored of doing the same route over & over again. We must have done the blue around 8 times this weekend, just wanted to go faster each and every time. We only did the red twice but thats because the climb killed me, even on an eBike! Can’t imagine what that climb would be like on an acoustic (just to wind The Hodge up!) bike. The drops on that red route were awesome though, the ones that take you flying off into the steep transition landing. The orange line was pretty special. The biggest and smoothest berms I’ve ever seen & ridden

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
Yes I can imagine if you’re local to Glenlivet you’d soon get a little bored of doing the same route over & over again. We must have done the blue around 8 times this weekend, just wanted to go faster each and every time. We only did the red twice but thats because the climb killed me, even on an eBike! Can’t imagine what that climb would be like on an acoustic (just to wind The Hodge up!) bike. The drops on that red route were awesome though, the ones that take you flying off into the steep transition landing. The orange line was pretty special. The biggest and smoothest berms I’ve ever seen & ridden
git..

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
Hey ebiking brother, no bother. I intend to enjoy it here and will look forward to getting acquainted with other posters. Would be great to see you on the trail sometime and get used to your particular brand of humour first hand. And who knows, you might even get used to mine although I’m not promising anything. Very best, S.
Love travelling North ..Ive ridden a few trails in the North East ..Glenlivet , Moray Monster , Ballater ( Heartbreak Ridge, Green Mile ) Loch Muick , Tour of Ben Avon ..then Aviemore trails .
but believe it or not I prefer the North West Highlands ..& Islands ( hope we arent going to fall out again haha..)..
Torridon ,Knoydart, Harris ,
Applecross, Skye ..love it up there..but not one Im afraid on my ebike yet..so the likeliehood of meeting on the trail is quite real ..?
See you around ..

Sencha

Jun 24, 2021
Scotland

Aye, I have been breathing out of my arse a few times going up the red route on my Slash, I’m sure it will be easier on the rail. I find the orange route a bit intimidating, I can’t say I’m much of a jumper just yet and it has some pretty steep take offs.

Sencha

Jun 24, 2021
Scotland
Love travelling North ..Ive ridden a few trails in the North East ..Glenlivet , Moray Monster , Ballater ( Heartbreak Ridge, Green Mile ) Loch Muick , Tour of Ben Avon ..then Aviemore trails .
but believe it or not I prefer the North West Highlands ..& Islands ( hope we arent going to fall out again haha..)..
Torridon ,Knoydart, Harris ,
Applecross, Skye ..love it up there..but not one Im afraid on my ebike yet..so the likeliehood of meeting on the trail is quite real ..?
See you around ..

I haven’t been over to the west coast cycling yet, a trip sometime for sure. ??

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles