Hi From the bearing guy

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
As a newbie on this site, I thought I would introduce myself here first and say a bit about what I do and why I did it!
A few months ago I had a crankshaft bearing fail on my Bosch motor, no problem I thought, as it's out of warranty, I'll strip it down and buy a new bearing.
Turned out it wasn't as simple as that! Bosch had manufactured a bearing with a bespoke size that was unavailable anywhere:(. After spending weeks searching every bearing company I could find (Worldwide!) I still couldn't find the right sizes.
So, I had them manufactured. As I had to buy a 1,000 at a time, I ended up with a few left over, so I started www.performancelinebearings.com mainly to help others in a similar situation.
I have since gone on to make or source every bearing, O-ring and circlip in these motors and have just started on the Yamaha system too!
I have added full how to videos and bearing identifiers to help people do their own bearings because I don't believe its right that if you're out of warranty, you have to buy a new $600 motor for the sake of a $20 bearing!
I hope my site helps you, and if you have any questions I am happy to answer what I can.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Hi and welcome.
Awesome site and service.
Do you have any plans to do similar for the Shimano E8000 steps motors?

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
Thank you, yes, eventually I would like to include as many motors as possible. The hardest thing for me is getting hold of the motors to be able to measure and source the parts. People tend to go a bit quiet when I tell them they would be the first. I have even offered to repair their motors free of charge but until someone steps forward I guess the others may have to wait :(

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I did my last motors bearing in in under 800 miles. I'd much rather be able to replace them here than go through the pain and month without the bike warranty replacement means.

Have you thought about asking Madison? They must have a few warranty returned motors there by now.

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
Sadly Gary, the dealers don’t really want to play with me :cry: But you’re right, I get a lot of people who don’t want to wait 3 weeks or more for their motors to be fixed under warranty and they do like you, just sort it! (y)

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
This would be awesome if we could find someone near you who'd let you open their motor to assess what's needed.

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
Very cool story. I love it when someone finds a problem that they are willing to solve for themselves. And it looks like you’ve started a nice little side business out of it

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
Could you figure out what needed on the Shimano by cracking open a perfectly good motor?
Technically, yes. The good thing with all these motors is they would appear to be fairly bullet proof except for the bearings. If I could start there and then maybe source circuit board repairs for the Yamahas and drive gears for the Brose etc. We should cover every thing, eventuality (y)

Last edited:

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
Nice site and welcome,
Must have been some investment you had to make ...
It has been so far, but I am hoping as more motors come out of warranty and more people get to hear about us, I will eventually get some of it back :)

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
Very cool story. I love it when someone finds a problem that they are willing to solve for themselves. And it looks like you’ve started a nice little side business out of it
Thanks Al, Lets hope so (y)

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Technically, yes. The good thing with all these motors is they would appear to be fairly bullet proof except for the bearings. If I could start there and then maybe source circuit board repairs for the Yamahas and drive gears for the Brose etc. We should cover every thing, eventuality (y)
Where are you based?

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
My warranty ends in November. Got a Yamaha, so when I get a problem, maybe I can fix it myself (with your help).
I have got the main motor bearings for the Yamaha motor and this seems to be the most likely one to fail. I would be happy to help if you decide to fix it yourself (y)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles