Hi From Scotland

Stig

Jun 9, 2020
Forfar, Scotland
Hi all, looking to take the plunge very shortly but still trying to decide which bike to go for.. currently have Levo Comp on demo and love it however concerned at reports of motor failures. Not really sure of alternatives Trek 9 maybe ? but getting Demo at moment proving harder than I’d hoped. Have a 2015 Stumpy and previous Stumpy before that with no issues so Levo seemed obvious choice until I started researching issues ? suppose the question I have for those that have had Levo issues is would you still buy another?

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Hi all, looking to take the plunge very shortly but still trying to decide which bike to go for.. currently have Levo Comp on demo and love it however concerned at reports of motor failures. Not really sure of alternatives Trek 9 maybe ? but getting Demo at moment proving harder than I’d hoped. Have a 2015 Stumpy and previous Stumpy before that with no issues so Levo seemed obvious choice until I started researching issues ? suppose the question I have for those that have had Levo issues is would you still buy another?

Where about in Scotland are you?

I went from several Stumpy’s to a Trek Rail 9.9. Had it a couple of weeks and found it too powerful for what I needed.
Swapped it out for a Levo SL... and run that at 35% assistance. Gives me a good workout, but with a bit of help!!

Gordonrides

Jun 9, 2020
Norway
Hey Stig - I just bought a 2020 turbe levo comp and love it. Not sure what you are referring to re motor failure issues. I haven't come across that and researched the bike for several months before buying. The 29er wheels are incredible and the motor is a dream compared to my old Marida Shimano steps (six years old now). If there is a motor issue then I'm sure Specialized would fix it, as they have to maintain their market position viz. their reputation. All in all it's an amazing bike and I am hitting trails I never would have dreamed of hitting before. Good luck and keep riding.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I wouldn't over read into the motor issues. Yes, motors can fail - all of them. Just from reading forums you get a skewed view of numbers and end up in fear that you're going to buy something that WILL break .. so end up convincing yourself to buy what you've decided will be way way better reliability wise.

There's a LOT of Levo's out there and when someone has a problem, the first thing they do is flock to a forum to complain about it.

The reality is that most people won't ever have a motor failure and the difference in reliability between brands is only a couple of % in terms of overall failures.

I did a huge amount of research (and still do) on failure numbers and bought a Kenevo - knowing the Brose was about 1% more likely to fail than a shimano e8000 (which was my previous bike). I've honestly hammered the crap out of it and it's been ridden in the rain and mud nearly every day all winter and it's been entirely problem free.

Stig

Jun 9, 2020
Forfar, Scotland
Where about in Scotland are you?

I went from several Stumpy’s to a Trek Rail 9.9. Had it a couple of weeks and found it too powerful for what I needed.
Swapped it out for a Levo SL... and run that at 35% assistance. Gives me a good workout, but with a bit of help!!

Just outside Dundee so lots of local trails on my doorstep. Did consider the SL but haven’t found a demo yet. Really like the demo I have at moment and probably would have bought by now but just got a niggling doubt over reported failures beyond any warranty. Trek looks like a sorted package but probably also beyond what I actually require.

Stig

Jun 9, 2020
Forfar, Scotland
I wouldn't over read into the motor issues. Yes, motors can fail - all of them. Just from reading forums you get a skewed view of numbers and end up in fear that you're going to buy something that WILL break .. so end up convincing yourself to buy what you've decided will be way way better reliability wise.

There's a LOT of Levo's out there and when someone has a problem, the first thing they do is flock to a forum to complain about it.

The reality is that most people won't ever have a motor failure and the difference in reliability between brands is only a couple of % in terms of overall failures.

I did a huge amount of research (and still do) on failure numbers and bought a Kenevo - knowing the Brose was about 1% more likely to fail than a shimano e8000 (which was my previous bike). I've honestly hammered the crap out of it and it's been ridden in the rain and mud nearly every day all winter and it's been entirely problem free.

That’s good to hear and I know that nobody ever really writes about how reliable and trouble free ownership is. Nice to get a bit of perspective to balance things out ????

Stig

Jun 9, 2020
Forfar, Scotland
Hey Stig - I just bought a 2020 turbe levo comp and love it. Not sure what you are referring to re motor failure issues. I haven't come across that and researched the bike for several months before buying. The 29er wheels are incredible and the motor is a dream compared to my old Marida Shimano steps (six years old now). If there is a motor issue then I'm sure Specialized would fix it, as they have to maintain their market position viz. their reputation. All in all it's an amazing bike and I am hitting trails I never would have dreamed of hitting before. Good luck and keep riding.

Thanks for reply.. I could post the links to the failures but I’d only make you paranoid ?? I think as others have said there are so many Levi’s that you’re always going to get failures and most have reported Specialized have been excellent in terms of support. ??

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
but just got a niggling doubt over reported failures beyond any warranty
Anything can wear out or fail, it will be a risk with any e-bike as it's more complicated than a none e-bike.

Specialized also do assisted purchase outside of warranty on a sliding scale-for 5 years on electronic parts, so if it does blow up after 3 years, you won't be paying full price to replace it.

Stig

Jun 9, 2020
Forfar, Scotland
Anything can wear out or fail, it will be a risk with any e-bike as it's more complicated than a none e-bike.

Specialized also do assisted purchase outside of warranty on a sliding scale-for 5 years on electronic parts, so if it does blow up after 3 years, you won't be paying full price to replace it.

Didn’t know that! I’m being talked back into the Levo already ??

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Didn’t know that! I’m being talked back into the Levo already ??

The more bikes you can try before you buy, the better. Basically, whatever you get, it will be good ! There aren't many lemons out there now.

They all feel and look a bit different and we all like different things, so the more things your can try, the more you can be sure you're making the right decision.

If anything, the main problem you'll have at the moment is availability ! :)

Gordonrides

Jun 9, 2020
Norway
Thanks for reply.. I could post the links to the failures but I’d only make you paranoid ?? I think as others have said there are so many Levi’s that you’re always going to get failures and most have reported Specialized have been excellent in terms of support. ??
I'll keep youposted should I have any motor problems. At the moment the only thing I don't like about the bike are the Guide shifters on the handle bars. Shimano much better.

speedkills

May 17, 2020
Boulder, CO
I just bought one a month ago and would buy it again. I haven't heard of motor issues on the 2020 specifically, although it did seem like there was an issue on the 2019's but it's hard to be sure. Although that's part of the reason I went Specialized, their warranty service has always treated me well in the past so I have built up some trust with them that if it breaks, they will take care of it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles