Hi from Bristol.... or is it Whitby :)

Whitby Chris

Subscriber
Jul 13, 2021
Whitby
Hi all I'm Chris, currently living in down south for many years but returning to Whitby soon so leaving the local haunt of FoD and I suppose Dalby will he my new local but going to have to check the area for new places to please feel free to let me know where is good in the North :). I ride a Whyte e160rs v2 and still settling to it as I just got it a week ago and it's my first emtb. Oh well hello all... I will probably be asking lots if newbie question over the coming months :)

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Welcome to the forum. Dalby Forest is a very pleasant environment with great soil & trails but not particularly challenging once you get used to the route & features, although there are plenty of off piste routes to be found. It’s still well worth going though

Guisborough Woods is closer to Whitby and is extremely popular with the off piste downhill crowd. The Cleveland Way and Cleveland Hills are popular too, the northern edge of the moors, although loads of walkers on the paths

Numerous XC routes to be found across the North Yorkshire Moors, visit the Yorkshire Cycle Hub in Fryupdale for friendly advice for the local area and a fantastic little cafe. They’ve been busy building their own small enduro route on their land, not sure if its open to the public yet, but they have big plans & ambitions for the future

Exploring Dalby, Guisborough & the NY Moors will keep you busy for a good while but there’s plenty of other options once you explore further afield such as Kilburn Woods / Hood Hill, Yearsley Woods. Hamsterley is a fantastic day out and only around 60 miles away

Whitby Chris

Subscriber
Jul 13, 2021
Whitby
Welcome to the forum. Dalby Forest is a very pleasant environment with great soil & trails but not particularly challenging once you get used to the route & features, although there are plenty of off piste routes to be found. It’s still well worth going though

Guisborough Woods is closer to Whitby and is extremely popular with the off piste downhill crowd. The Cleveland Way and Cleveland Hills are popular too, the northern edge of the moors, although loads of walkers on the paths

Numerous XC routes to be found across the North Yorkshire Moors, visit the Yorkshire Cycle Hub in Fryupdale for friendly advice for the local area and a fantastic little cafe. They’ve been busy building their own small enduro route on their land, not sure if its open to the public yet, but they have big plans & ambitions for the future

Exploring Dalby, Guisborough & the NY Moors will keep you busy for a good while but there’s plenty of other options once you explore further afield such as Kilburn Woods / Hood Hill, Yearsley Woods. Hamsterley is a fantastic day out and only around 60 miles away

Thanks Tubby much appreciate:) will be happy to travel around when I finally get up there :)

Whitby Chris

Subscriber
Jul 13, 2021
Whitby
Welcome from another Yorkshireman (but I know Bristol too well also)

All as Tubby G's post above.

I am more XC than gravity adrenaline fuelled big boy BMX, and I never tire of Dalby and the endless XC in our corner of North Yorkshire.
Also on a Whyte E150, when I can drag myself off the fat knacker powered hardtail, road and gravel bikes.

cheers :) not sure if I'm going to be more gravity or xc yet as just upgraded to the e160 but om sure I will give everything a go haha :)

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
we are heading to Scarborough for a few days - probably need to hire bikes - is Dalby the best bet please?

Probably yes, but bear in mind a full suss emtb daily hire charge is around £75 so quite an expensive day out, especially if you have to hire multiple bikes. They hire e-hardtails too at around £50 a day. Look at Dalby Forest Cycle Hub’s website

If you’re heading to Dalby from Scarborough go the back route via Bickley Gate, passing through Hackness, it’s a much nicer drive than via the main road towards Thornton-le-Dale

A pleasant ‘family ride’ from Scarborough is the old railway line to Whitby, the Cindertrack, passing through Robin Hoods Bay. It’s not an adrenaline filled trail but a nice easy pedal through the moors offering fantastic views of the Yorkshire Coastline and passing a great pub, the Hayburn Wyke. Not sure where you could hire bikes for that though, maybe give Richardson Cycles a call, a Scarborough based bike shop

galaga187

E*POWAH Master
Apr 15, 2018
Wroughton
Probably yes, but bear in mind a full suss emtb daily hire charge is around £75 so quite an expensive day out, especially if you have to hire multiple bikes. They hire e-hardtails too at around £50 a day. Look at Dalby Forest Cycle Hub’s website

If you’re heading to Dalby from Scarborough go the back route via Bickley Gate, passing through Hackness, it’s a much nicer drive than via the main road towards Thornton-le-Dale

A pleasant ‘family ride’ from Scarborough is the old railway line to Whitby, the Cindertrack, passing through Robin Hoods Bay. It’s not an adrenaline filled trail but a nice easy pedal through the moors offering fantastic views of the Yorkshire Coastline and passing a great pub, the Hayburn Wyke. Not sure where you could hire bikes for that though, maybe give Richardson Cycles a call, a Scarborough based bike shop
Brill thanks @Tubby G I just watched the Trailfinder video and Dalby looks perfect for my lad and his mate - might save a few quid and get them HT bikes. That trail sounds great along the coast will see if we can all do clockwork that day.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Brill thanks @Tubby G I just watched the Trailfinder video and Dalby looks perfect for my lad and his mate - might save a few quid and get them HT bikes. That trail sounds great along the coast will see if we can all do clockwork that day.

Hardtails are fine at Dalby. There’s a few rock features that’ll be a bit bumpy (two drops at Section 1, Vera Lynn & Medusa’s Drop) but other than those they’ll be bombing around & loving it! Enjoy ??

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Just looking at the site “Hire bikes must not be ridden at Dixon Hollow” that piqued my interest ?

Don’t get too excited about Dixon’s Hollow, there’s not much there apart from a tabletop jump line, a pointless berm / tabletop route that takes about 10-15 seconds, a small pump track and another bermy section with a decent 500mm ish drop. It could be excellent, with a little bit of investment & tlc

smokin joe's

Jun 21, 2021
north yorks
Hi all I'm Chris, currently living in down south for many years but returning to Whitby soon so leaving the local haunt of FoD and I suppose Dalby will he my new local but going to have to check the area for new places to please feel free to let me know where is good in the North :). I ride a Whyte e160rs v2 and still settling to it as I just got it a week ago and it's my first emtb. Oh well hello all... I will probably be asking lots if newbie question over the coming months :)
Hi Chris I live near Dalby forest ride in there sometimes you are lucky to be going back to Whitby there is some really good riding near you one place you must visit is the Yorkshire hub farm near Danby they have some maps of local rides round there very modern outfit bike shop gear brilliant cafe.was going up there very soon again give me a shout if you like I am always available for a ride (retired )text me on 07769633787 happy trails

j3ayy

Oct 10, 2020
North Yorkshire
We did the Rosedale Rambler yesterday & what a beautiful ride ??

A146C1A4-3C5B-4CCD-99BE-13D7F7229151.jpeg

DEFB234B-FBD9-4210-8BE4-B80EBCAAB3D1.jpeg

02D04ADB-63B9-49D7-96A1-4044B5BA7698.jpeg

2E256268-B8F3-4A70-B9A8-2D06D532DD44.jpeg

Whitby Chris

Subscriber
Jul 13, 2021
Whitby
Hi Chris I live near Dalby forest ride in there sometimes you are lucky to be going back to Whitby there is some really good riding near you one place you must visit is the Yorkshire hub farm near Danby they have some maps of local rides round there very modern outfit bike shop gear brilliant cafe.was going up there very soon again give me a shout if you like I am always available for a ride (retired )text me on 07769633787 happy trails
thanks Joe will do when I'm back up there :)

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
We are blessed

Did Dalby Red this morning on the regular Hardtail, absolutely ace
Damn site easier than in the heat last Friday afternoon ? ? ?

And did Bransdale Loop, plus a bit of gravel last night, on the new(ish) Gravel Bike.
Got a mile in (photo) before I realised I had the skinny road wheels on... who needs knobby tyres :eek:

View attachment 67194
As said previously ..
cant "like" a road bike ..?
However what has made me laugh is the sign about ground nesting birds..
Wouldn't it have been more honest if it had read " Please take care not to disturb ground nesting birds ..we need the eggs to hatch and the birds to reach maturity so we can blast the poor fuckers out of the sky in a few short months time " ?

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles