Hi, considering an Ebike, can it replace my current bike??

Jonah

Dec 23, 2018
Abergavenny
Hi been thinking of an ebike for a bit have watched all the videos and reviews, EMBN, all of Robs videos. Demo on a 2018 Levo the other week round Cwmcarn in filthy weather. Not convinced I can fully replace my Whyte s150, so ebike could be an additional bike, which lowers my budget below the 2019 Levo range. So looking at canyon spectral on 6.0 for 3.5k, but you lose the shop support on what is still emerging tech it seems reading a range of posts. Any guidance for you guys out there???? Cheers

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Simple answer is yes it can, and probably has for most of the members on here, but at the end of the day you won't really know until you own one and have out some miles on it.

The Levo is a great bike, but as you have no doubt clocked a lot of money, especially when compared to similar specced bikes.

Full 29'r EMTB's are still something of a rarity, most being moderate plus size these days - the closest like for like bike probably is the Commencal Meta Power 29 if you want to go don the 29 inch route, another direct sales brand.

META POWER 29 - Shop

TBH I wouldn't be concerned about going direct sales, I have twice with emtbs, and and there are as many problem threads on here about shop bought bikes as direct sales, most of the direct sales complaints being about ordering tracking more than anything else.

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
Yeah, I had the same dilemma, but I had an intense primer. Would it replace the amazing trail bike. I'm very much a one bike does all person, so you don't have to change styles, techniques etc...

Well I jumped both feet in and I've no regrets. I am riding more, got my mojo back. I'm doing crazy challenges, hitting trails backwards, so new trails in my eyes and just having fun. It's different fun, which is why my mojo is back, it's fresh and different.

Yes I miss the intense, but I can't see me picking that over the levo for a ride.

I miss the nimbleness, how easy it was too manual and coaster wheelie everywhere, the pop, pump and float.

Would I go back in time. Nope. I'm a convert. The best thing when I'm not doing crazy stuff is the fact I can session certain trails over and over, because the climb back up is not intimidating. I can hit ecru downhill as aggressive as if it was the first because I've rested on the way up.

Hope that gives you a few ideas and help makes the decision.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
If you are open to the good and bad eMtb ownership brings, then yes, it can be your only bike. My eMtb is my only bike, and it will be my next bike too.

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
Why do you think it can't replace your current bike?

I thought the same thing, haven't ridden my regular bike more than 3 times since I bought my kenevo in june

Northumbrian

Sep 3, 2018
Rothbury
Don’t think I could go the one bike route ( probably down to getting a hardtail e- bike) , still need the simplicity and feel of my Whyte 130c.
Love the e bike, but need to keep my manually propelled toys.

Jonah

Dec 23, 2018
Abergavenny
I’m not much of a forums and posting type, so blown away by how quickly people have helped out with constructive and interesting comments, so thanks. I thought about this more while in the cafe at glyncorrwg after do8ng whites level in nasty conditions. What would have been different on an ebike. I’m quite dynamic while descending liking to pop and hop over into stuff and would I be able to ride in a similar way say on a Levo which is an equivalent 150mm 29er. Weight would be a factor, but positioned as such low on the bike frame that it could have lesser impact. I only did 1 lap, but if on an ebike would I have done 2 or 3. I can’t buy for a couple of months as few more payments on the current Whyte s150 crs so I’ll continue to research and take on board a lot of wisdom that’s out there on the forum,cheers

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
Ive not ridden the 19 levo, but have ridden the 18 and the kenevo, they've all felt fine for that sort of riding. Today was off piste jumps and flow at FoD, kenevo felt fine for that. Usually it's more technical stuff, rocks and drops, again is fine.

Jonah

Dec 23, 2018
Abergavenny
Cheers dax, good to know. I think another demo on the cards somewhere, hopefully in better weather so I can concentrate on the riding experience rather than drowning in violent rain! Be even better if I can track down a 2019 Levo to demo, cheers

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
I think if you really like to jump a lot of big stuff you will probably still want to keep your S-150 (awesome bike), as it will be better for that. If not you may find your analog bike getting rather dusty...

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
One place an Emtb can't match a regular mtb no one here seems to ever mention is elevation range.
You'll get roughly 4500ft of climbing from a 500wh Emtb so if you do long days out of more elevation than that you'll need to carry a spare. it's surprising how quick you can flat a fully charged #emtb battery if you're out shutling steep descents.
The spectral will do everything your Whyte can (including big jumps) it's just different. different pre-load/timing/weight placement.
The only place they loose out to a regular bike is above 15mph (sprinting or flat riding) when the assist cuts out but that can be sorted.
The other thing to take into account is will you miss the lighter bike and all it's handling traits (as @All Mountain Coaching covered). I know I do. but I have kept all my regular bikes and still do ride them all.
Warranty is better on the Whyte.
Read the small print on the Spectral warranty. it's quite eye opening what riding they suggest it is not covered for

GuyBerry

Sep 26, 2018
Belgium
Riding experience is completely different between my Levo FSR '19 and Scott Spark RC 18', but I like both. It depends on my mood and terrain to make the choice.
The Levo also doubles as commuter.

Jonah

Dec 23, 2018
Abergavenny
Thanks, I think I’ll find it hard to give up the Whyte as I’ve invested in good wheels and put Time in maintaining it well, and am quite fond of it, so it’s going to be a ebike I can afford and ride in a different way is in my mind after doing a bit of reflecting, so canyon spectral on 6.0 does seem good spec/cost point. Cheers

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Just a thought but you might be able to share your nice wheels with the Canyon depending on how small a rear tyre you like to run on the Whyte.

Jonah

Dec 23, 2018
Abergavenny
I’ve looked at the range and the extra for the 7.0 for me is the fork, as other components such as sram means I can share wheels, maintenance kit. As it’s cash to buy over a finance I’ve got to draw a budget line unfortunately. Thanks

galaga187

E*POWAH Master
Apr 15, 2018
Wroughton
I’ve looked at the range and the extra for the 7.0 for me is the fork, as other components such as sram means I can share wheels, maintenance kit. As it’s cash to buy over a finance I’ve got to draw a budget line unfortunately. Thanks
I rode the Canyon 7.0 at the NEC cycle show and really liked how it handled on the single track short test track, they were offering 5% off demo day discount. I’d already ordered a levo which I’m really happy with, it got me safely around W2. I wonder if Jeff at Afan a Blast bike shop will sort out some demo days for ebikes.

Jonah

Dec 23, 2018
Abergavenny
Thanks, W2 would be the ideal Emtb route for me. Good idea at Afan blast, I went to every demo day Skyline used to hold and bought a yeti and Santa Cruz off the back of a demo there. Cheers

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Last New Year’s Day I rode cwm carn after a hard day at bike park , struggled to the top while the youngsters went off and did the pedalhounds and caut me up . I was feeling so knackered at the top when 3 older guys on ebikes arrived having a great laugh , on thier 3rd run they said ?
It was then I decided to try an ebike .
After a very weak demmo Levo I ended up buying a commencal and never touched my full Susser again . I still ride my hardtail lots on easy trails and tracks and the roadbike but slogging up mountains and steep mtb climbs is now ebike only territory and Iam having so much more fun , and I can enjoy riding with the young ones again .
As for warranty etc , I’ve just been looked after very well indeed by commencal , sending me a new motor direct from their stock while they are sorting out shimano with an intermittent fault .

MarkH

Patreon
Aug 12, 2018
Manchester
Bought the Levo and sold my Capra pretty much straight away. Only other bike I ride is a YT Tues for days at Revos.

ggx

Dec 10, 2018
Sintra
Hello
Yes and no.
It´s a bike , does what a bike does. Does diferente thinks also.
A very fun tool .
Try one :)

VaseLEVO

Aug 20, 2018
Arlington, VA, USA
I had a carbon road bike. I road a demo Levo comp 2018 and was sold instantly. Wound up ordering a new 2018 carbon expert. Love the bike. I kept my road bike because I missed going fast on flats. Then I discovered derestricting. Mine set to 75mph but thinking I only ever saw 37mph so I will lower it to 40mph next time I take it out. Warranty, eh I dunno ?‍♂️. Anyway I never rode the road bike since I discovered derestricting and going to a bigger 36T chainring. It does everything I could ever ask it. I have never felt limited in any way on this bike, so I sold my carbon roadie and I honestly have never once missed it or thought maybe I like to ride one. The EMTB is just fantastic.

Of course you might be or feel differently but it surprised the heck out of me. I had previously tried a trek commuter ebike and didn’t like the power delivery and general feel. I tried a city specialized ebike too. It was ok but felt too heavy and too much like a motorcycle. The emtb hit the sweet spot. My Lbs I bought 3 bikes from before discouraged me saying all mikes were either roadie or hybrid so emtb wouldn’t be suitable. I switched to different more open minded shop and rode a variety of their bikes. The emtb turned out to be an even better city bike because of the full suspension. And I can go on trails I couldn’t take my other bikes on. What’s not to like?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Don’t be silly. Nobody has mentioned the formula which applies here;

Ib = n+1, where Ib is the ideal number of bikes and n is the number of bikes you have now. Remember, mathematics is never wrong :)
Exactly, and my problem is that I already have 2 EMTB's, so my man maths tells me that 3 is the magic number :cool:

MarkH

Patreon
Aug 12, 2018
Manchester
Exactly, and my problem is that I already have 2 EMTB's, so my man maths tells me that 3 is the magic number :cool:
You forgot the other formula
Ib = wd - 1
Where lb is ideal number of bike and wd is the number that will cause the wife to divorce you.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
You forgot the other formula
Ib = wd - 1
Where lb is ideal number of bike and wd is the number that will cause the wife to divorce you.
I also forgot that my wife doesn't know I have 2 Emtb's, she thinks I only have the one!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles