Hi all. Trail building in the uk.

Orange phase rider

Apr 15, 2023
Portsmouth
I’m toying with the idea of adding some more trails next to the off piste trails at my local. These have been made without permission and therefore I would also be doing the same.

Just wondering if any trail builders have a tips for me.

Cheers

theremotejuggernaut

Aug 2, 2022
UK
Not a trail builder but I'd say top tip is don't get caught. It's criminal damage.

Tip 2 would be don't be a dick about it. If you build something that's perceived to be dangerous, big mandatory gaps, drops etc and the landowner finds it, they'll probably destroy not just your trail but the established ones too. Avoid wrecking the place and damaging trees. Make sure it's well away from any public rights of way or popular walking trails. You don't want to cause conflict with other users of the area, that's a surefire way of getting MTBs kicked out of an area. Avoid building structures like ladders etc.

Do you know who owns the land? Can you ask permission?

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
My tip would be to try & make contact with the established "crew" who might not take too kindly to someone new coming along and by the sound of it has zero experience ( you're asking for tips so I'm assuming this is the case) and starts digging up a section they had future plans for..

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
What pisses me off about this topic is when other illegal trail builders (like me) use the materials that I have collected and incorporated into my own features to build their own! Don't be a dick, don't rob materials from other features! I am not saying that you would do, but don't be one of those dicks that do!

Orange phase rider

Apr 15, 2023
Portsmouth
Not a trail builder but I'd say top tip is don't get caught. It's criminal damage.

Tip 2 would be don't be a dick about it. If you build something that's perceived to be dangerous, big mandatory gaps, drops etc and the landowner finds it, they'll probably destroy not just your trail but the established ones too. Avoid wrecking the place and damaging trees. Make sure it's well away from any public rights of way or popular walking trails. You don't want to cause conflict with other users of the area, that's a surefire way of getting MTBs kicked out of an area. Avoid building structures like ladders etc.

Do you know who owns the land? Can you ask permission?
It’s Forest of England so they would say no. I just intend to follow the flow of the hill side going in and out of the trees exc. single trail, no jumps just natural features

yorkshire89

E*POWAH Master
Sep 30, 2020
North Yorkshire
It depends on your area but some of our forestry guys are happy with it (and ride the trails themselves). It is illegal though and you could potentially get a telling off.
Check the area over first. Will you be disturbing any wildlife (ground nesting birds, badgers etc). Any rare flora in your area shouldn't be pulled up for your trail.
Don't build gaps that can't be rolled. You can still make a fun trail with rollers that can be doubled.

Can you make the trail so that it naturally drains? Berms on a traversing trail usually end up full of water and hige ruts appear in no time, so have a think about how you can make it drain.

Orange phase rider

Apr 15, 2023
Portsmouth
I wouldn’t be touching or interfering with existing trails or anything that looks like of been collected. It is more about giving back to the mtb community and having a few more trails to ride locally.
I will try and find the trail pixies but that hard 😂

Cheers for all your comments

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
There are so many things to consider before building a trail. The list can be long and sometimes the personal cost and legal consequences are enough to deter anyone from beginning a project such as trail building.

In our area, BC Provincial Park, there’s a reason for this. Getting approval for a sanctioned trail can take up to three years. That’s a deterrent right there. However, previous logging has provided access roads but has also caused some drainage damage. The regulations for past logging practices were not as significant as they are today. Therefore, joining a volunteer group of trail builders can be helpful and satisfying.

We have about three groups in our area who know the trails, can navigate the bureaucracies and ensure that all users are happy 😃 (somewhat), when a new trail is built.

Maintenance of a trail is key. Overgrown vegetation, downed trees, water erosion, are only some factors that need regular attention. And then there’s the features. Some are well built and some can be a liability to the landowner.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
I’m toying with the idea of adding some more trails next to the off piste trails at my local.

Are you saying that the existing trails are difficult, so you intend to build p-lines? There might be ethical implications in taking a trail where someone put in a lot of thought and effort, and then building detours around the parts you can't ride. Rather than messing around with someone else's work, why not figure out where to build a completely new trail? Start from scratch, make it your own, be proud when others ride and enjoy "your" trail.

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
Here's my 5 cents on bootleg trails.

Make the entry and exit not openly visible. Ideally the track is not visible from standard walking tracks. Out of sitght out of mind.

Make only natural tech trails. A tech trail can be walked by a walker and garners less attention and complaints. walkers/hikers may enjoy the addition and that aids to the lack of complaints. Plus once its bedded in it looks like its always been there and becomes part of the trail network.

Do not build structures and massive jumps. Leave this stuff for the official bike parks. This is the stuff that gets complained about and the aurthorities come in and pull it down. If you want gnarly features. Look for it in natural terrain like natural drop off and rock rolls. Natural features can't easily be destroyed.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Here's my 5 cents on bootleg trails.

Make the entry and exit not openly visible. Ideally the track is not visible from standard walking tracks. Out of sitght out of mind.

Make only natural tech trails. A tech trail can be walked by a walker and garners less attention and complaints. walkers/hikers may enjoy the addition and that aids to the lack of complaints. Plus once its bedded in it looks like its always been there and becomes part of the trail network.

Do not build structures and massive jumps. Leave this stuff for the official bike parks. This is the stuff that gets complained about and the aurthorities come in and pull it down. If you want gnarly features. Look for it in natural terrain like natural drop off and rock rolls. Natural features can't easily be destroyed.
I agree. We have a handful of builders on this mountain and I’m probably guilty of being one of them. This Provincial Park is for hikers and mountain bikers. No one can claim a trail to be exclusively their own or exclusive to a specific group. But some trails are built to favour one group or another.

This incident happened about 2 years ago to a specific feature. Built on a popular trail by an ambitious young builder. The addition of this feature limited use of this trail to bikes only and no hikers. There were no “chicken lanes” around this feature and signs were posted at the entrance and exit.

During wet and rainy conditions the builder would block the trail and feature with wood debris. Sometimes he wouldn’t return to remove the barricades for days or weeks.

And then he added a “No Hiking” sign at the exit and entrance.
IMG_5086.jpeg

It didn’t take long for someone tear down the sign and chainsaw the ramp in half.

The feature has since been rebuilt but there is now a “chicken lane” and no signs.
IMG_5085.jpeg
I like this feature …but not when it’s wet.

Orange phase rider

Apr 15, 2023
Portsmouth
Are you saying that the existing trails are difficult, so you intend to build p-lines? There might be ethical implications in taking a trail where someone put in a lot of thought and effort, and then building detours around the parts you can't ride. Rather than messing around with someone else's work, why not figure out where to build a completely new trail? Start from scratch, make it your own, be proud when others ride and enjoy "your" trail.
Just making more trails. I ride all the trails at my local. Gets a bit boring riding the same trails all the time so just putting down some new lines.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Do not build structures and massive jumps. Leave this stuff for the official bike parks. This is the stuff that gets complained about and the aurthorities come in and pull it down.

Let me tell you a story of an area near me. It's an urban mountain bike trail. It meanders through a series of green areas and offers a "slight" wilderness vibe. Really, it's not very good for experienced riders unless you're planning on a casual jaunt or riding as fast as humanly possible. Anything else is boring.

Adjacent to one area are a couple square miles of undeveloped space. It's private property, but holes were cut into the fences in several locations and a series of trails were developed. It was nothing epic, but it offered a little more variety. There were some short downhills that required a bit of skill, and it was a fun place to ride.

Eventually some guys started cutting in more trails. That was fine. Then they started going over the top. Truckloads of lumber were hauled in, concrete, wagons for hauling boulders, and huge tool stashes. Within the space of six months, it looked like a bike park, with wood ramps, jumps, signage, and giant gaps. The only thing missing were burgers, beer tents, and bike bunnies. Before long, the injuries started happening. Broken bones and rescues, were not uncommon.

Remember, this was on private property that was fenced with no trespassing signs. When there were only a few riders poaching natural trails, the company that owned the land looked the other way. But when it started looking like Rampage, the company pulled the plug. Holes in the fences are now promptly repaired, and security guards patrol the area at random times. Ride there often, and you'll find yourself outrunning the popo. You can't blame the company. The trails were an attractive nuisance that could easily lead to litigation.

The moral of the story is that you can bend the law, but if you flagrantly flout the rules, you'll eventually get smacked down.

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
Let me tell you a story of an area near me. It's an urban mountain bike trail. It meanders through a series of green areas and offers a "slight" wilderness vibe. Really, it's not very good for experienced riders unless you're planning on a casual jaunt or riding as fast as humanly possible. Anything else is boring.

Adjacent to one area are a couple square miles of undeveloped space. It's private property, but holes were cut into the fences in several locations and a series of trails were developed. It was nothing epic, but it offered a little more variety. There were some short downhills that required a bit of skill, and it was a fun place to ride.

Eventually some guys started cutting in more trails. That was fine. Then they started going over the top. Truckloads of lumber were hauled in, concrete, wagons for hauling boulders, and huge tool stashes. Within the space of six months, it looked like a bike park, with wood ramps, jumps, signage, and giant gaps. The only thing missing were burgers, beer tents, and bike bunnies. Before long, the injuries started happening. Broken bones and rescues, were not uncommon.

Remember, this was on private property that was fenced with no trespassing signs. When there were only a few riders poaching natural trails, the company that owned the land looked the other way. But when it started looking like Rampage, the company pulled the plug. Holes in the fences are now promptly repaired, and security guards patrol the area at random times. Ride there often, and you'll find yourself outrunning the popo. You can't blame the company. The trails were an attractive nuisance that could easily lead to litigation.

The moral of the story is that you can bend the law, but if you flagrantly flout the rules, you'll eventually get smacked down.
Yep seen it plenty of times. Even in the bike park that's set aside for mountain biking. Bootleg builders have built dangerous non approved structures that have been torn town by the local trail building crew/committee.

I agree bending some rules every now and then is usually frowned upon by rarely instigates action. Obvious and gratuitous flouting generally leadings to an immediate response.

Base

Jul 21, 2023
Toronto
Gotta love youtube since you can find a video on the subject but of course you have to shift through what is actually trail building vs making features/jumps.

Some things like Plummet, Stihldog and others said ring out. Like on my local trail in the city here theres a section (among many others) with a nice long fast downhill, which alot of people think its been there forever but a few of us know that wasn't always the case.

The city got involved and rerouted some of the trails but thankfully their "vision" only went so far and stopped before making too many changes further along.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I can certainly understand the concern that governments or private landowners might have. The liability could be severe towards them even though they try to look the other way or pretend they didn’t know. There comes a point (with a crazy feature) when they just can’t. We have to be careful that we don’t place them in jeopardy or force their hand.

I can’t ride down a double black diamond trail. Only a few can. That’s fine, but some inexperienced individual will try. I don’t think we can stop this but we could (the builder) provide chicken lanes, go arounds or warnings.

I’ll use one particular trail as an example; I discovered a 2x black diamond trail 5 years ago. I watched this trail for a year and decided that it was abandoned. No tracks, no maintenance …not a single user. I decided to carve out some go-arounds without interrupting the original trail features , or the massive jumps and multiple gaps (25’ to 55’). I used some portion of his trail but carved out switchbacks and berms where needed. When I was complete, it was a steep, fun and rideable trail. The massive features were fun to look at.

About 6-8 of us ride this trail on a regular basis on our eMTB’s(3-4 times a week). Analog bikes would never come down here because they would have to ride up and out. I resurrect another trail which created a loop suitable for eMTB’s. It’s awesome 😎.

I’ve since met the original builder and explained to him that his features were targeted for demolition. However, when I built the go-arounds, his features were no longer targeted. A win-win as far as I’m concerned 👍🏻.

He’s an ambitious builder and an extremely good rider (RedBull level). We now work together but separate (if that makes sense in trail building). He’s also a bike mechanic at a LBS …so that’s kinda handy 😉.

Jurassic

Subscriber
Jul 22, 2022
Helensburgh, Scotland.
I've been involved in our local trails a bit. It started out with just me wanting some better stuff to ride nearby but things exploded during lockdown with lots of other people building stuff. I ended up being the point of contact with the Forest Manager due to me being an Admin on our local MTB Facebook group (just shows that you can have an accidentally raised profile). The company managing the forest where our trails are situated were alarmed about the sudden expansion in trails in their forest and initially intended closing them but after some informal discussion they allowed us to modify/sanitise the features that they didn't like and the trails are now tolerated. Things have now settled back down with the "big feature builders" being able to go back to riding bike parks etc and the forest is fairly quiet again but with more trails to ride than before (but also more maintenance to do for those of us who still bother). I know the law is different up here in Scotland, you can effectively ride wherever you want as long as it doesn't cause damage but things do get more complicated when you start building stuff.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
It’s nice to see and hear that some users are putting in their part to maintain our trail network. 5-6 years ago there was the occasional trail sabotage and I was sometimes called a “cheater”. All of that has pretty much gone away.

I encourage anyone to contribute or volunteer to the organizations and groups that have become the stewards of our local trails. I know most of the builders and they all bring unique abilities and skills. And then there’s the regular users who maintain or adopt their favourite trails. I can only imagine that they get a similar satisfaction that I get.

All the users of our trail network have the same goal though. First-timers to regular daily users. (Except that jogging-guy with the white sweat band, blaring ear-buds and short shorts 🩳.🙄). The phone-gazers are usually first-timers and are generally confused by the complicated trail network. They appreciate some guidance to their destination. I usually glance down at their foot wear to put them on the right track. Flip-flops, street shoes and the rare hard-core-bare -feet, (wtf).

The biggest concern seems to be about bear-attacks. I don’t ever carry bear spray and I don’t judge anyone who does. Just be friggen careful as to when, where and how you use it. Most of the time these animals are looking for food. Don’t Feed The Bears! 🐻

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles