Hi all, looking for first eMTB, have specific requirements though :)

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
Yeah you can. I do all of the time
Random, according to a long term test it said it wasn't removable.

Still an EP8 though.
Bargepole for me those, like the Brose, every single person I know with them have had to have replacement (s).

Last edited:

robguide

Nov 20, 2022
Wales
As the OP is finding, it’s so frustrating that all the 2023 bikes with the new Bosch System (Bluetooth Mini Remote & Controller) all seem to come with fixed batteries.

Janc

Oct 22, 2019
Dorset
I'm over 100kg before kit and can get 1000m out of e8000 with 504w battery in the summer - 3.5 year old Commencal Meta, but that is mostly in Eco. If it's your first eBike , note that which power mode you use, the trails softness and your own power output massively impact your range. Having the choice of high power blasting vs Eco longer cruising is one of the great benefits of eBikes.
Take look at :
Torque-ON
You could keep a second battery at the bottom and benefit from the lighter 504w battery for more nimble feeling.
Haven't tried the Torque but have tried the Spectral and its very playful and capable. There are quite a few reviews on the Torque On.

Janc

Oct 22, 2019
Dorset
I'm over 100kg before kit and can get 1000m out of e8000 with 504w battery in the summer - 3.5 year old Commencal Meta, but that is mostly in Eco. If it's your first eBike , note that which power mode you use, the trails softness and your own power output massively impact your range. Having the choice of high power blasting vs Eco longer cruising is one of the great benefits of eBikes.
Take look at :
Torque-ON
You could keep a second battery at the bottom and benefit from the lighter 504w battery for more nimble feeling.
Haven't tried the Torque but have tried the Spectral and its very playful and capable. There are quite a few reviews on the Torque On.
In ther outlet store Torque:ON 9 and add second battery
Batteries

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
As already mentioned, up to 2000m climb is no problem on an e-bike as long as you limit yourself to eco or tour (Bosch Motor). It is tempting to up the power and up the speed, but then you can't do the climbs.
Just remember the slower you go, the further you can go, as you have more time to add your leg power into the equation of Total power = Leg power + Motor power.
Total Power required remains constant for any bike ride.
I have a Cube Stereo TM with a 625 battery (It is a few years old now). Highly recommended from me as the Price / Feature ratio is unbeatable. However the 160 / 170mm has 27.5 wheels, and also has Magura Mt 7 brakes (Which I find to be pretty good)
I forgot to add: Just because you have a motor, doesn't mean you HAVE to ride with it in assist mode.
I start all my rides with the motor off, and get used to the bike and the effort to roll at a constant speed without motor assist. There is no reason this should be more than a normal bike when at a constant speed. Then I toggle the motor on only when I need it. This saves a HUGE amount of battery power, and means you can easily do rides of up to or over 100 km or climbs of 2000m

Last edited:

paquo

Jul 31, 2018
usa
Random, according to a long term test it said it wasn't removable.

Still an EP8 though.
Bargepole for me those, like the Brose, every single person I know with them have had to have replacement (s).
yes, although i would guess the failure rate of the levo is worse than the ep8 by a fair margin where most people have had multiple motors go; at least that's what i told myself when i got an ep8 bike recently

BeBiker

Aug 26, 2020
Belgium
  • something with at least 160mm rear travel and ideally 170mm front (160-180mm)
  • fork must be 38mm, ideally Zeb Ultimate as that's what i have on my current enduro bike
  • removable battery as i'll be flying with the bike and will have another battery in my destination
  • battery should be >=700wh as i'm close to 100kg ride ready with shoes, helmet, backpack etc.
  • must be able to change stem/handlebars as a tall guy i like a high rise bar
  • 29" front wheel, rear i'm open to either 27.5/29"
  • ideally shimano brakes but worst case i can always change them out
That's like my Cube 160 27.5", except the front 29" wheel.
Then go for the Cube 140 29", but then you have less travel.

Sounds like you will have to spend another 800eur to buy an extra 29" 160/180mm front fork in both cases.

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
2022 Trek Rail 9.8XT, Done.
  • something with at least 160mm rear travel and ideally 170mm front (160-180mm) 160 F 150 R, Can increase to 170F, 165R
  • fork must be 38mm, ideally Zeb Ultimate as that's what i have on my current enduro bike Has Zeb's can upgrade to Ultimate
  • removable battery as i'll be flying with the bike and will have another battery in my destination Has Trek removable battery
  • battery should be >=700wh as i'm close to 100kg ride ready with shoes, helmet, backpack etc. Has 750wh Bosch Powertube
  • must be able to change stem/handlebars as a tall guy i like a high rise bar (Easy to add whatever you choose)
  • 29" front wheel, rear i'm open to either 27.5/29" Bike is 29" F & R but you can mullet with flip chip in low
  • ideally shimano brakes but worst case i can always change them out Has shimano XT M8120 4 pots
IMHO the Trek rail ticks all the boxes down to the ground (AS ABOVE). Check out Rob's Rail on youtube. 170mm Front and 165mm rear weapon. Ticks all your boxes

jxrx

Dec 12, 2022
Zürich
Hey everyone thanks a heap for all the awesome feedback and thoughts. I got derailed from my search by a TON of work recently but taking Xmas and NY to start the search again. I appreciate you all giving your input as this eMTB Noob is learning a lot! I think I need to borrow one to try it out but the snow here in Switzerland isn’t going to make that easy…

Cheers everyone and I’ll Be back soon

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles