Hi all, I’ve had a nightmare today on the trails🙈can someone please advice what I need to get? Cassette or new hub? Thanks in advance

Grimmtb1

Mar 23, 2022
Wales
D1F47B2E-4C03-448D-9B25-C3FBCBC66F29.jpeg
D1F47B2E-4C03-448D-9B25-C3FBCBC66F29.jpeg

Aikone

May 28, 2021
UK
Looks like the thru axle came loose and freehub body came away from the hub.

Freehub body, pawls and springs might be enough, worst case the teeth the pawls engage with in the hub might have some damage, though like the pawls they’re hardened steel so likely ok.

Looks like a Bontrager hub so your local Trek store should be able to get spares and check the thru axle and frame.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
That's a pretty dramatic failure. Hopefully you didn't have to hike too far.

It's the hub that's jacked. While you could buy a new hub and lace the existing spokes and wheel to it, you might be better off just buying a whole new wheel. Another new Bontrager Line Comp 30 isn't very expensive.

The other consideration is what you can expect from replacing the failed part with another "inexpensive" hub. If it's true that you get what you pay for, buying something a little more robust might be the wisest option.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I had a similar failure on a Whyte T130, one week old and the hub axle sheared. I removed the wheel and the cassette fell on to the floor! Replaced under warranty in 7 days. Steel axle this time, not aluminium alloy. If you look carefully at the centre of the hub, you can see where the last part of the axle sheared, (between 12 and 1 o'clock in the picture).

Eagle non drive side inner.jpg

Funkeydunk

Subscriber
May 28, 2019
Uk
I’d try and get a new freehub body, it should slide right back on,, you’ll need to take the cassette off the old one first. Make sure that it’s all tight when the wheel is fitted as it looks like this has been coming loose for a while by the signs of the damage.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles