Need sizing advice please on Levo SL

davec

May 3, 2020
uk
Hi All
Im looking to get a turbo levo SL on the basis of its bike-like feel. Been to a couple of shops but in these lockdown times no-one lets you actually ride the bikes. I sat on a large and a medium SL (and a rail 7 medium). Im somewhere over 5' 10" (10.5?) tall with a 31" inseam as far as I can tell.
I was on toes with dropper in lowest position on large. On medium feet nicely flat on ground at lowest point. Everyones talking longer reach is better but I seem to be in between on inside leg and height.
Its a lot of money - I want to get it right.
What do you think? Medium or large? Appreciate peoples input.
dave.

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
so youre right on the cutoff size from M to L, I was in a similar position so ill tell you my experience.
I am right on the cutoff point for L and XL, I could fit on both and ride both at the shop and they felt equally good and seeing as I wasnt planning at the time to do any bike park stuff, I got the XL.
that was a mistake, I spent ages trying to adjust the fit of the bike with more headset spacers, higher rise bars, moving the saddle etc and it was great for 30 minutes but after that I would get neck and back pain, then pain in the wrists etc..
so in the end I gave up and sold it, bought the same bike (a Levo) in size Large and never looked back.. fits me perfectly and I did a 4 1/2 hour ride on sunday, no problems at all, im 6'1" and 34" inside leg.

davec

May 3, 2020
uk
Thats really helpful thanks. My gf (knows a lot about MTBs from racing years ago) thinks medium is a better fit.

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
Have a look through the Levo SL owners thread, there’s quite a lot of discussion in there about it that will help you.

For you, don’t even consider the medium unless you want a bike to flick about and have the skill to do that. I’m 176cm 30” inseam and the medium is too small for me.

And, you don’t need to touch the floor from seating on a bike. I really don’t understand where people get this from. Especially in the age of the dropper post.

davec

May 3, 2020
uk
I read the thread and most seem to be sizing up.
Basic problem is standover height I think Im M and reach maybe L. I was on toes with dropper post all way down on L but I see your point.
In terms of skills, well, Im a beginner and not that young but am lucky to have a range of trails locally from easy to very technical, so no excuse not to learn.

speedkills

May 17, 2020
Boulder, CO
I think you really need to wait or find a way to ride one. To share a similar but opposite experience to DobbyHasFriend, I have always liked to ride bikes on the small side, I am 6'1 with a long torso and shorter legs, 32" inseam, and have traditionally rode a medium or large. With the Levo, my knees almost hit the bars on a medium, a large was ok, but cramped, and the XL that DobbyHasFriend could never get to work for him fit perfect out of the box. Which is only to say, bike fit is hard, and while we can give you advice based on our experiences, if it's important to get it right, I'd make sure I rode it first. Try enough bike shops and someone is bound to let you ride one.

davec

May 3, 2020
uk
Yes I think you’re right. It’s too much money to take a punt. No body seems to be letting you try anything right now so looks like I’m going to have to wait till ...who knows when. :confused:

paquo

Jul 31, 2018
usa
Yes I think you’re right. It’s too much money to take a punt. No body seems to be letting you try anything right now so looks like I’m going to have to wait till ...who knows when. :confused:
i couln't find a levo to ride but a stumpjumper is really close so i tried one of those, it's even closer to an sl with the shorter chainstays. Maybe you could find a stumpy to try. The other thing is if you do size up you get a bit more wheelbase that makes it slightly less twitchy

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL
i couln't find a levo to ride but a stumpjumper is really close so i tried one of those, it's even closer to an sl with the shorter chainstays. Maybe you could find a stumpy to try. The other thing is if you do size up you get a bit more wheelbase that makes it slightly less twitchy

That was my solution when I couldn't find a SL anywhere within 200 miles. The Stumpjumper M fit ok so I ordered a M Levo SL and couldn't be happier with it (after the switch to 27.5" wheels).

Bmwgsboy

Aug 26, 2019
USA
so youre right on the cutoff size from M to L, I was in a similar position so ill tell you my experience.
I am right on the cutoff point for L and XL, I could fit on both and ride both at the shop and they felt equally good and seeing as I wasnt planning at the time to do any bike park stuff, I got the XL.
that was a mistake, I spent ages trying to adjust the fit of the bike with more headset spacers, higher rise bars, moving the saddle etc and it was great for 30 minutes but after that I would get neck and back pain, then pain in the wrists etc..
so in the end I gave up and sold it, bought the same bike (a Levo) in size Large and never looked back.. fits me perfectly and I did a 4 1/2 hour ride on sunday, no problems at all, im 6'1" and 34" inside leg.
Now I’m confused I’m 6’2 34 inseam and I’m told Xl for the turbo Levo ( I’m a beginner).

bguevarra064

Aug 11, 2020
Los Angeles
5'10' with shoes and shorter legs (30 in. inseam). Found a great deal on a medium Levo SL off Pinkbike so I snatched it up. Just got back from my LBS today and hopped on a large SL. Whoops! I always do this lol. Luckily, my shorter friend is buying this medium off of me and I'm putting an order in for a large (carbon comp SL). Specialized 100% sizes their bikes more on the conservative side in terms of stack and reach.

You have to really pedal them in person and do some stand up sprints. You'll know right away. Luckily, even with the 40mm increase in seat tube and the Manic 150mm dropped to the collar, it still fits me at full extension with my feet flat on the floor when dropped. It's perfect.

If you're in between sizes, I would definitely upsize on these Levos.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles