Hey, i'm a financially irresponsible Trek rail 7 owner from Wollongong, Australia (and loving it haha)

Battman85

Feb 10, 2022
Wollongong
Hey All

Wayne from wollongong. Just recently got back into biking after a 11yr hiatus (did a season in whislter while living in canada back in 2010 and loved every second of it). Ive become completely obsessed with MTB again and absolutely spewing that i didnt stick to biking after coming home from canada. So ive got some catching up to do.

Recently bought myself a 2021 Trek Rail 7 in Teal colour. Love it!

Bike - Trek rail 7.jpg

When i bought it i told myself (and my wife) i was going to keep it stock, well.... it was a nice thought lol. Luckily my wife knows me too well and had assumed i wouldnt be able to help myself from upgrading things without any regard for financial responsibilities hahaha

So far ive added;

- One up carbon bars with higher 35mm rise
- ODI grips
- raceface stem with shorter32mm reach
- Upgraded fork to 170mm air shaft
- Upgraded fork to charger 2.1 damper (so now basically a lyrik ultimate)
- Just bought a fox DHX2 rear coil shock which i will fit up once it arrives and ive got the spring
- Had a friend custom make me some new rim stickers in cammo pattern using the bikes colours (since added more to the rims after this pic which looks alot better)
- Went tubeless, and got some Maxxis tires sitting on the shelf ready to fit once i get some more use out of the stock ones

Thats about it for now. Well it'll have to be, as im out of money :ROFLMAO:

surely im not the only one right?.... right?

cheers guys. Happy riding!

Last edited:

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK

Nice bike :)
Can you give any feedback on what the 2.1 upgrade did for you? Any stand-out differences?
I would also suggest going for SKF wiper seals if you want the Lyrik Ultimate feel. I fitted them to my Yaris and they made a really big difference to SBC.

Mike Malanowicz

Feb 8, 2022
Warsaw, Poland
- Just bought a fox DHX2 rear coil shock which i will fit up once it arrives and ive got the spring
And please do a quick review on this upgrade. I'd like to put a coil shock to the rear and I'm curious how it will influence the bike. Generally I like a progressive way of air shocks which allow to do some big jumps and drops, but I'd like to have even more sensitivity as well.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Can you give any feedback on what the 2.1 upgrade did for you? Any stand-out differences?
I would also suggest going for SKF wiper seals if you want the Lyrik Ultimate feel. I fitted them to my Yaris and they made a really big difference to SBC.
I did this upgrade too with the SKF wipers.
Initially it was horrible (first ride) until I reduced the air by 5-10%. Set up the rebound and then it was great. The feel/response is so much better. Didn’t apply any Lyric stickers because they were $$ rediculous.

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
I did this upgrade too with the SKF wipers.
Initially it was horrible (first ride) until I reduced the air by 5-10%. Set up the rebound and then it was great. The feel/response is so much better. Didn’t apply any Lyric stickers because they were $$ rediculous.

You can get all manner of reproduced OE stickers off the bay :) I think Lyriks were about £8 when I looked.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
You can get all manner of reproduced OE stickers off the bay :) I think Lyriks were about £8 when I looked.
Wait …what! The LBS asked if I wanted the Lyric stickers also…for $60 CDN. ***k that. $15 CDN seems more reasonable. For now I’ll stay in sleeper-mode with the Yari stickers. E-bay eh?

Battman85

Feb 10, 2022
Wollongong

Funny thing is i havent had a chance to ride the bike yet (properly) with the fork upgrade and handlebars/stem.... As the bike was in the LBS getting the work done, i ended up with some leg issues from my morning runs which put me out of action. Then a week later i got the old wuhan flu and am currently at home isolating hahaha. I have however been riding up and down my street popping gutters and chattering across other peoples uneven driveways at speed and i can say for sure i can already feel the difference. Feels so much more plush and smooth across the small bumps. so im super keen to hit the trails next week and work on dialling it in.

will report back then.

Battman85

Feb 10, 2022
Wollongong
And please do a quick review on this upgrade. I'd like to put a coil shock to the rear and I'm curious how it will influence the bike. Generally I like a progressive way of air shocks which allow to do some big jumps and drops, but I'd like to have even more sensitivity as well.

no worries. I will report back for sure.

im getting a progressive spring. So should hopefully be best of both worlds :)

Battman85

Feb 10, 2022
Wollongong
Wait …what! The LBS asked if I wanted the Lyric stickers also…for $60 CDN. ***k that. $15 CDN seems more reasonable. For now I’ll stay in sleeper-mode with the Yari stickers. E-bay eh?

I have ordered my lyrik stickers off of Shop and customise mountain bike decals // Slik Graphics where you can custom choose colours or patterns to make the perfect sticker (they can even colour match bikes). They were $30/set for the custom colour ones i chose. reasonable if you ask me.

i will post with photos once i get them. i ordered 2 sets of stickers as i could decide what i wanted, so got 2 different ones haha

Battman85

Feb 10, 2022
Wollongong

well.... Just had a knock at my door and guess what just arrived. All the way from SWEDEN!

Lyrik Stickers.jpg

Ordered 8 days ago, printed custom colours, delivered to my door just now.

Website was super easy to use, stickers are super high quality, VERY impressed!

Cost $30 Australian each plus $15 shipping.

Now.... to decide which one to go with :ROFLMAO:

Battman85

Feb 10, 2022
Wollongong
Went with the Cammo. looks a bit more custom i think.... May go to the plain teal at some point in the future for a bit more of an OEM look. But otherwise stoked with the stickers. Definitely recommend Slik Graphics for custom stickers.

IMG_5261.jpg

IMG_5259.jpg

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK

Just checked - they were £6.50 but start at £7 now :)

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
Feels so much more plush and smooth across the small bumps.

Interesting, cheers.

I am only sceptical because I had the lowers off my Yari's recently and was able to carry out the highly technical process of grabbing the damper rod and moving it by hand in/out at varying damping clicks. I found it was incredibly smooth, zero cavitation and very little stiction. I am unsure how it could be much smoother (at least on low speed/small bump stuff) tbh but many who try the 2.1 says it feels smoother so... 🤔

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Since my bike colours are boring, I’d probably go with a dark-grey Lyric sticker and keep that stealthy look.😎🥷

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
I have however been riding up and down my street popping gutters and chattering across other peoples uneven driveways at speed and i can say for sure i can already feel the difference. Feels so much more plush and smooth across the small bumps.
Thats the immediate impression I got with my upgrade riding along my gravel driveway. Out on the trails the difference was huge. Heaps of plushness & great to have the ability to open up the LSC for the easy-on- the-wrists cruising & then dial up the HSC for the trails that need it.
I'm a stealth kinda guy so just took the yari stickers off and left the legs naked.
over here in NZ the upgrade was quite expensive. I did mine before the zebs & 38s were released & consequently there were a lot more new lyrics & 36ers on the 2nd hand market as people upgraded. In hindsight if I was doing it now I'd probably buy a new 2nd hand fork & sell the yari on. Mind you It's not often you see a yari on a bike now- they seem to have been replaced with the domains

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
Interesting, cheers.

I am only sceptical because I had the lowers off my Yari's recently and was able to carry out the highly technical process of grabbing the damper rod and moving it by hand in/out at varying damping clicks. I found it was incredibly smooth, zero cavitation and very little stiction. I am unsure how it could be much smoother (at least on low speed/small bump stuff) tbh but many who try the 2.1 says it feels smoother so... 🤔
I'm a sceptical kinda guy myself when it comes to the latest & greatest sometimes & in fact years ago got myself out of favour with my motocycle forum after doing some very basic experiments & calling BS on a new fangled suspension gizmo which I'd spent good money on. Anyway I'd recommend you have a ride on a 2.1 damped lyrik first before putting down the money just so you can get a feel. I definitely felt the difference from the initial installation & in my mind I think probably the wipers have much to do with the inital plushness. I used to think the Moco was a good damper - now I consider them adequate - not bad but they just get the job done

DeRailled7

Oct 27, 2021
Calgary, Canada
Back to … financially irresponsible
Remember the following truth from a wise old man:
You won’t get a medal for dying with a lot of money in your bank account.

Great looking bike. With the upgrades you did on your fork, in addition to improved plushness you might find it rides higher. Meaning it won’t ‘collapse’ or ride lower and lower in your travel when riding long gnarly downhills, keeping full travel available.

Cheers

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I definitely felt the difference from the initial installation & in my mind I think probably the wipers have much to do with the inital plushness.
@DeRailled7 might have an idea also.
I added the SPK wipers with the Lyric upgrade. When I reinstalled the fork I returned the psi, compression and rebound to the previous settings (as a benchmark start). The initial ride was terrible. I dropped the psi by 10-15% and fine tuned the rebound and compression slightly.
That made a significant difference. It was definitely better. The feel was much better than the Yari. But I wonder why a drop in psi helped? The sag was better/correct too after a drop in psi. New seals? Didn’t add any spacers either. 🤔

DeRailled7

Oct 27, 2021
Calgary, Canada
I added the SPK wipers with the Lyric upgrade. When I reinstalled the fork I returned the psi, compression and rebound to the previous settings (as a benchmark start). The initial ride was terrible. I dropped the psi by 10-15% and fine tuned the rebound and compression slightly.
That made a significant difference. It was definitely better. The feel was much better than the Yari. But I wonder why a drop in psi helped? The sag was better/correct too after a drop in psi. New seals? Didn’t add any spacers either. 🤔
Hi, the reason you had to reduce the air pressure to achieve the same sag after your upgrade, is because the positive air chamber (the one above the piston seal) is now smaller. The change in air volume will also affect the compression curve (progressiveness) of the fork. After the upgrade the fork might feel ‘stiffer’ and you might not use as much travel as before. Removing one token, like you did i think, will increase the air volume, add more plushness and allow you to access more travel. The following article explains it much better than i can.

Battman85

Feb 10, 2022
Wollongong

ive noticed similar with mine. setting the sag has required a lower pressure then before, significantly lower. To the point where ive left the pressure too high to get the sag i was after because it just doesnt seem right that the pressure would be that low. Going to ride it with the sag firmer than usual then dial it down once i know its not going to just slam into bottom out haha.

ilostmypassword

Apr 5, 2022
New Zealand
Hey All

Wayne from wollongong. Just recently got back into biking after a 11yr hiatus (did a season in whislter while living in canada back in 2010 and loved every second of it). Ive become completely obsessed with MTB again and absolutely spewing that i didnt stick to biking after coming home from canada. So ive got some catching up to do.

View attachment 81809

When i bought it i told myself (and my wife) i was going to keep it stock, well.... it was a nice thought lol. Luckily my wife knows me too well and had assumed i wouldnt be able to help myself from upgrading things without any regard for financial responsibilities hahaha

So far ive added;

- ODI grips
- Had a friend custom make me some new rim stickers in cammo pattern using the bikes colours (since added more to the rims after this pic which looks alot better)
- Went tubeless, and got some Maxxis tires sitting on the shelf ready to fit once i get some more use out of the stock ones

That's a great looking bike!

Lusciousleeta

Apr 15, 2022
Arbroath
Hey All

View attachment 81809

So far ive added;

- ODI grips

Love it. Now come do all that to mine which is still stock after 2 years!

Rubinstein

Apr 7, 2022
kent
Hey All

View attachment 81809

So far ive added;

- ODI grips

dude I’d love to buy you a beer but I haven’t got any money left 😁😭🍺

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles