Hey, cant chose what brand/model

Hallberg

Jul 18, 2019
Jonkoping lan, Sweden
Hi I was sure i would go for a focus jam 2020.
but now i'm starting to doubt myself
and now whyte released a new one,
What would you have done?
It needs too be the new boch motor and 600watts battery
price somewhere between 4-5000 pounds
Just wanted to check in whit you guys.
Let me know =)

Hitby

Jun 22, 2019
North Yorkshire
I looked at both of these bikes and I think either would be great. The Whyte e-150S @ £4750 edged it out for me though, especially for the kind of conditions we get here in the UK.

In the end I went with a Levo for the dealer backup (and impatience).

Hallberg

Jul 18, 2019
Jonkoping lan, Sweden
Thanks for the reply!
Im from Sweden so pretty much the same weather
I also checked out a levo comp, but when boch released gen 4 and 625watts
it changed everything xD,
Lets see what some of the others thinks :=)

MuddyFunster

Jul 7, 2019
Uk
I looked at both of these bikes and I think either would be great. The Whyte e-150S @ £4750 edged it out for me though, especially for the kind of conditions we get here in the UK.

In the end I went with a Levo for the dealer backup (and impatience).

I did pretty much the same, except sub 'Whyte' for 'YT Decoy'. Really pleased with the Levo, but you're going to have to make up your own mind.

You can wait until Autumn / the end of the year for the 2020's or get something 2019 with some discount. My buddy has a Merida 160, which is a great bike and worth a look at.

/MuddyFunster

Hallberg

Jul 18, 2019
Jonkoping lan, Sweden
I did pretty much the same, except sub 'Whyte' for 'YT Decoy'. Really pleased with the Levo, but you're going to have to make up your own mind.

You can wait until Autumn / the end of the year for the 2020's or get something 2019 with some discount. My buddy has a Merida 160, which is a great bike and worth a look at.

/MuddyFunster
k will look into merida
Thanks

iainc

Jul 21, 2019
Glasgow
Similarly was set on a Jam2 6.8plus and along comes the Whyte E150RS. It costs a little more but once I factor in the changes I’d make to the Focus it’s negligible. For my size, 5ft 10 and a bit, short legs, the Jam in large is good, just, and the Whyte, in medium, looks fun and chuckable....

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
I have a Scott Genius eRide and a Levo Comp. Love the ride of the Scott and it is hugely stable bombing down fast, sketchy chutes but with my 110-112kg I was only getting just on 40k per charge. Bought the Levo as it will take the 700Wh battery available - pricey at $1500 NZD but I think worth it to get the extra distance required for some epic rides.
Shimano I believe is behind the curve. While the e8000 motor has wonderful power characteristics it is noisy compared to the Brose and with only the 504Wh or smaller batteries available is limited for some. For 2020 Scott is going to the new Bosch motor which is smaller, lighter & slightly quieter - plus has the 625Wh battery available.

33red

Jun 12, 2019
Quebec, Canada
I will read that. Puting all that money on something unproven?
I am glad my Ebike has wide rims and tires. I focus on range and traction.
And reliabilty is on my top list.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
As for the new 2020 Whyte.... what’s with the low slung cables, ready to be ripped out and damaged ?

911A3024-0F6D-4DC3-B6C6-F699D1AAC9C4.jpeg

33red

Jun 12, 2019
Quebec, Canada
I never rode those bikes so i am not commenting on those. Mine is Haibike with Yamaha 500 Wh and at 2,800 kms = 0 problem. The motor being new might have bugs just look at Specialized and Shimano those are not reliable. I never run my battery empty and i often ride over 4 hrs. I know i would stay away from Giant because they use long chainstay and it makes bikes less playfull but if you like that you might give them a test(they use Yamaha).

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
I never rode those bikes so i am not commenting on those. Mine is Haibike with Yamaha 500 Wh and at 2,800 kms = 0 problem. The motor being new might have bugs just look at Specialized and Shimano those are not reliable. I never run my battery empty and i often ride over 4 hrs. I know i would stay away from Giant because they use long chainstay and it makes bikes less playfull but if you like that you might give them a test(they use Yamaha).
I’ve done 6800km on my Specialized Levo with zero problems on motor or battery. That’s reliable in my book.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
I call that very reliable. What is your battery size? A full charge will last for how much time on average?
It’s a 504wh
Battery usage depends on so many variables. To give an average to compare to others can be totally false and misleading.
For me at 120kg. On paved surfaces with minimal elevation 110km and about 6 hours using eco set at 30% of peak power. On hilly off-road terrain using turbo set at 100% of peak power and about 2hrs and 25km. Both with 10% left in the battery at the end of a ride. Most of my off-road adventures in hilly single track would be around 40km and about 3hrs using all 3 modes. And have 10% battery left at the end. So many variables tho it’s hard to give averages.

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
I never rode those bikes so i am not commenting on those. Mine is Haibike with Yamaha 500 Wh and at 2,800 kms = 0 problem. The motor being new might have bugs just look at Specialized and Shimano those are not reliable.
One data point does not really prove anything. However I do agree the Brose does appear to be slightly less reliable (as a % of riders with motor or electrical issues) than Shimano, Bosch and Yamaha. Every Levo owner I know (5 in total) has had 1 or more motor replacements under warranty. Still not statistically significant really, but that combined with the many diverse reports of issues with Spec bikes on this forum (and the lack of ebike knowledge at my Spec LBS) mean I would not consider one.

The huge volumes of Bosch motors in the wild (they dominate the admittedly less strenuous urban commuter market) mean I have more confidence in them as a brand when it comes to a new product. However you are right; there could still be snafus for them to sort with the new CX motor. The reports of excessive noise are more worrying to me at this stage, but time will tell...

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
What I find interesting about the Brose motor in the Levo, is you hear very little about problems with Brose motors in other brands, which to be fair are not that common, but the Levo issues seem to be related very much to the Specilized, which is a custom version of the motor in terms of software, battery etc, whereas the bog standard version used bu the likes of Fantic and Rotwild, which also use all the standard Brose controllers etc, seems to have a lot less problems.

Hallberg

Jul 18, 2019
Jonkoping lan, Sweden
thanks for the reply I'll take it in consideration

Hallberg

Jul 18, 2019
Jonkoping lan, Sweden
One data point does not really prove anything. However I do agree the Brose does appear to be slightly less reliable (as a % of riders with motor or electrical issues) than Shimano, Bosch and Yamaha. Every Levo owner I know (5 in total) has had 1 or more motor replacements under warranty. Still not statistically significant really, but that combined with the many diverse reports of issues with Spec bikes on this forum (and the lack of ebike knowledge at my Spec LBS) mean I would not consider one.

The huge volumes of Bosch motors in the wild (they dominate the admittedly less strenuous urban commuter market) mean I have more confidence in them as a brand when it comes to a new product. However you are right; there could still be snafus for them to sort with the new CX motor. The reports of excessive noise are more worrying to me at this stage, but time will tell...
Feels like anything whit big volumes, comes with good reliability, or is that just my point of view?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
is you hear very little about problems with Brose motors in other brands,

I might be wrong and this might have been some other electronics issue, but when I was looking around here (France) at options I noticed the "sunn" bikes, sold through Intersport (I think intersport own sunn). The spec looked good and the 90nm brose sounded tempting. Early reviews on the bikes on the forums were good but then over time that descended into endless chaos and frustration of broken and unusable bikes. Meanwhile Intersport kept dropping the prices, so they were even more tempting, but having read about all the problems it was a definite no no ! At least with Specialized, they'll fix it and hopefully they'll be working hand in hand with brose to make sure each replacement version solves the problems, so hopefully once people are out of warranty, it's no longer a problem.

It's interesting that Decathlon went with Brose for the E-ST900 knowing what intersport went through with the Sunn bikes. Not sure how they're going to go with that either as at €2000, a quick search of the net shows you can get a Levo HT for the same money.

33red

Jun 12, 2019
Quebec, Canada
I might be wrong and this might have been some other electronics issue, but when I was looking around here (France) at options I noticed the "sunn" bikes, sold through Intersport (I think intersport own sunn). The spec looked good and the 90nm brose sounded tempting. Early reviews on the bikes on the forums were good but then over time that descended into endless chaos and frustration of broken and unusable bikes. Meanwhile Intersport kept dropping the prices, so they were even more tempting, but having read about all the problems it was a definite no no ! At least with Specialized, they'll fix it and hopefully they'll be working hand in hand with brose to make sure each replacement version solves the problems, so hopefully once people are out of warranty, it's no longer a problem.

It's interesting that Decathlon went with Brose for the E-ST900 knowing what intersport went through with the Sunn bikes. Not sure how they're going to go with that either as at €2000, a quick search of the net shows you can get a Levo HT for the same money.
If with their Ebikes Specialized is selling a product 70% ready roduct why should i pay 115% ??? It just makes no sense.
You want to please Emountain bikers the plan is easy:
- reliable
- good range
- decent price
- decent weight
- decent noise level
the noise just suggest we are behind and we can pass safely, well in my area.
In 2,860 km i never got a complaint, ok some tell me they will push the E option as long as possible, they might think i am lazy but without a car i pedal to the trails and back.
The *silent* belt is not a ready product it delivers less range.
So you end up with more expansive bike, bigger battery, heavier.
So you go carbon = more $

Hallberg

Jul 18, 2019
Jonkoping lan, Sweden
hmm so dont know what i got from this xD.
their seems to be no statistics on anything.
Soo ill just take that as all have as much problems.

levo seems too have the best customer service,
but is more expensive and has a smaller battery,
cuz i cant afford expert that has 700w battery.

Feels like i will go for any bike that has a boschmotor, for me it will be focus

comment if u really think i shouldn't go for it.
Otherwise you will find me in a ditch near you.

SORRY for the wall och text

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
levo seems too have the best customer service,
but is more expensive and has a smaller battery,
cuz i cant afford expert that has 700w battery.
2019 Levos will take the 700Wh battery of the top of the line model - about 750g extra weight - which considering the Levo Comp is lighter than most other similar ebikes is not too bad.

iainc

Jul 21, 2019
Glasgow
Dealer reckons the Whyte 150RS won’t be available in UK till December, so I think it’ll be a Focus Jam2 6.8 Plus for me, as they are in shops in 3 or 4 weeks from now.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles