Levo Gen 2 Help with Mullett conversion

Jeff McD

Aug 5, 2018
Kona, Hawaii
Hey everyone, I have been considering a mullet conversion of my 2020 levo for several months and after reading all the positive comments on the 2022 levo mullet configuration I'm going to go ahead and do it. Already have the flip chip in the high position but still get pedal strikes in our extremely technical terrain with so many rocks, because the flat pedals are so big and wide. Other than shorter crank arms what can I do to avoid increasing pedal strikes as the mullet rear wheel will have a smaller diameter than stock 29 using the same tire? Should also add that I put a 160 mm fork on, if that makes any difference. Thanks in advance for all advice.
OK so I edited this post to try to be clearer. I'm looking for a shock yoke that I vaguely remember reading about that might raise the bottom bracket a bit. Is there such a thing?

Last edited:

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
160 shock helps .
2.6 tyres are a help too . Magic Mary works well . Possibly a slightly wider inside diameter 27.5 wheel so the big tyres can have their proper profile and not be puckered by the rim internal diameter .
Then be hyper aware of where you are putting your feet . Makes the bike more fun descending , but sacrifices some climbing ability .

StuR

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
Forest of Dean
Hey everyone, I have been considering a mullet conversion of my 2020 levo for several months and after reading all the positive comments on the 2022 levo mullet configuration I'm going to go ahead and do it. Already have the flip chip in the high position but still get pedal strikes in our extremely technical terrain with so many rocks, because the flat pedals are so big and wide. Other than shorter crank arms what can I do to avoid increasing pedal strikes as the mullet rear wheel will have a smaller diameter than stock 29 using the same tire? Should also add that I put a 160 mm fork on, if that makes any difference. Thanks in advance for all advice.
OK so I edited this post to try to be clearer. I'm looking for a shock yoke that I vaguely remember reading about that might raise the bottom bracket a bit. Is there such a thing?
160 mm fork , flip chip high setting and shorter cranks are the obvious as already mentioned
Thinner pedals make a difference too , often overlooked but makes sense when you think about it , you mentioned yours are big , does that mean thick as well as wide ?
I use RaceFace Chesters . I went on the hunt for thin pedals when I decided to go Mullet on my Levo and fitting them really helped
Only about £55 . They are pretty thin , nothing fancy , but I don't cry when they do get scuffed . They are a resin / composite material so don't look too shabby with a few scars on them

StuR

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
Forest of Dean
There is the " Cascade link " it doesn't raise the Bottom bracket height because it's the same eye to eye length
Apparently it offers ,amongst other things , more mid stroke support and is less inclined to blow through the travel in the rough stuff , so bike sits higher and pedals stay further away from the Gnar.
It also increases rear travel to 158mm
TBH a custom shock tune would help with support also and might make a considerable difference in avoiding pedal strikes
I'd be reluctant to raise the BB much more as the angles will steepen and kind of defeat what a Mullet conversation does to the Levo
Flip chip high and 160mm fork works well and helps compensate for BB height reduction caused by the 27.5 rear wheel , whilst also slackening original geometry.
My actual measured , not guesstimated ,
numbers in this configuration are 64.9° head angle and 340mm BB height

If you're not too bothered about steepening the angles then an offset headset is an option , fitted the appropriate way around it would steepen the head and seat angles and slightly raise the BB
I went down the thin pedal and custom shock tune route and rarely get a pedal strike .

Another thing to consider is technique , I'm far from an Expert so I went for some coaching and pedaling technique was one of the skills I wanted some help with , the coach recommended carrying speed through the rough stuff and avoiding pedaling. If you do feel inclined to pedal don't use full turns . He suggested partial strokes , imagine a clock face - pedal forward to 4 o clock then back to 8 o clock and repeat , keeping pedals level
It takes a bit of practice but it helps

I've attached the Cascade link if it interests you

Hope you get sorted , the Mullet Levo rocks !!

digger

Feb 4, 2019
Wales

Hey Jeff,

I ride an SL mullet and my friends all ride full fat mullets. I have the cascade link but that hasn't changed BB height. I also ride the flip chip in the low setting (i'm not too fussed about climbing) and run 160 Factory on the front.

My bike now has a 63.3º Head angle and I rarely get pedal strikes. Why? Pedals! I changed to Burgtec Penthouse 5's a while back and the pedal strikes stopped immediately. Last week I popped a set of One Up Pedals on thinking that because they are so thin they wouldn't strike...I hit them every few hundred yards, so the Burgtecs are going back on. I just offered them up to each other side by side and the one ups are dramatically wider.

Not sure if any of that makes sense but feel free to ask more questions if it didn't.

Jeff McD

Aug 5, 2018
Kona, Hawaii
Hey guys, thanks for all the info. This is exactly what I was looking for. This forum is such a good resource for information. I am going to measure my flat pedals and compare how wide they are compared to the Burgtec's, will install the cascade link, and will consider the shock bushing if needed. Thanks again to everyone.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles