Levo Gen 2 Help needed, cannot get Praxxis crank off.

Scoobaru

Sep 6, 2018
Scotland
So my drive side Praxxis crank won't loosen with my 8mm allen key and quite a lot of force. It lossened about 1 rotation then stopped. I added some oil to the outer nut / inner hex area but no difference. Has anyone got better ideas ?
Its a 2019 Levo Expert, std alloy cranks.

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
It was tightened to 50Nm or so - you'll need a long handled 8mm or a socket drive 8mm on a larger socket wrench so you can get some serious leverage on it.

Scoobaru

Sep 6, 2018
Scotland
I stood on the allen key and crank at opposing angles (after triple checking I was loosening) and no movement, I weigh about 100kg.
The other side came off ok using only my hands.

Scoobaru

Sep 6, 2018
Scotland
Worried I might strip the threads of the motor spindle by using even more force, but doubt there is any better option.

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
You say the bolt turned, then stopped. So it's not the threads. Perhaps the splines are the problem and it might be worth getting some penetrating agent in to them. But, don't get any further inboard than the crank, so no skooshing away with an aerosol.

Jersey Skier

May 12, 2019
NJ, USA
You say the bolt turned, then stopped. So it's not the threads. Perhaps the splines are the problem and it might be worth getting some penetrating agent in to them. But, don't get any further inboard than the crank, so no skooshing away with an aerosol.

It probably turned once then bottomed out on the self-extracting cover. Needs more force to push it off. Just don't mess up the 8mm hex or you'll really be stuck.

Loe Rider

Oct 26, 2020
Kernow
Try a T bar on the hex driver so you can push and pull together to get a more even power distribution onto it. Extension bar on both sides for the win. 50nm is s scary torque on a bike.

As above, the initial turn is just the self extractor hitting the stop and is normal.

Your call on the impact driver but I wouldn't risk beating the drive shaft on my Levo motor. If you have an old motor the plastic sprag clutch housing is not very durable and has been known to fail with a pedal strike.

Jaspy

Jun 9, 2021
Bea Sea Canada
Righty tighty … not always ?

B4FC312B-B857-47DA-AE47-80C511C96CD1.jpeg

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
mine always seems to spin round once then tighten up too. Just have to push past it. I put another bar over the top and a leather glove on which helps.

ideally a long torque wrench and a hex socket would be ideal. You'll need that to do it back up anyway!

NoPro

Aug 2, 2019
Austria
50nm is s scary torque on a bike.

It is indeed and I'm not sure it sould be that much the workshop manual states on several pages that it sould be 40nm, my Manual also says 40nm the new Version I downloaded says 50nm. My second motor was replaced because the crank fell of and I got this as a souvenir (lucky my lbs mounted the cranks to what ever spec they thought was right, watched them using a torque wrench). I stick with 40nm...

IMG_20210711_184831.jpg

Workshop Manual:

2021-07-11 18_56_27-MTB - Adobe Acrobat Reader DC (32-bit).png

My Manual:

2021-07-11 18_55_39-IMG_20210711_185410.jpg ‎- Fotos.png

PDF I downloaded:

2021-07-11 18_52_02-levo.pdf - Adobe Acrobat Reader DC (32-bit).png

maybe @Specialized Rider Care could clarify to avoid damage

Scoobaru

Sep 6, 2018
Scotland
Finished. So I went to a bike shop and they had a very long sturdy torque wrench that worked. Threads were ok, thank F. Installed my new Hope EEB cranks ok.

Moral of the story 1, get some grease inbetween the bolt and capture nut on the cranks ASAP (Hope visibly had some from new).
2. Praxxis are crap, this is the second arm I have bent, first when the bike tipped over with both tyres on the ground (front washed out on mud), second on a small 3-4ft drop from grass to grass, not exactly Rampage !

Thanks for everyones help.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles