Help me please. Cannondale and Bosch suck bigtime

Chairman

Feb 25, 2022
Nz
Thanks guys. The shop in question have even offered me a speedbox free of charge as they actually supplied me with the wheel and new when I purchased that it was always my intent to mullet. It does make sense that they are unwilling to change settings if they have been requested not to as that would be picked up immediately by any Bosch diagnostics so the issue remains the same but I now have a greater understanding of how the system works. Oh and btw I think that most manufactures would be and have been happy to have me as a customer. This hobby has cost me fortune over the years and I intend pouring plenty more into it
Happy trails everyone

carlton

Sep 6, 2021
Wokingham
That seems very strange. The dealer doesn't want to make a perfectly acceptable and legal change to your wheel size but is willing to give you a free illegal speedbox that can probably be picked up by Bosch diagnostics and will definitely invalidate your warranty. I suspect something else is going on with that dealer

Chairman

Feb 25, 2022
Nz
I dont know where you get the idea that a speed box is illegal. What is illegal is modifying an ebike to go faster than the legal speed. Quite a different proposition .How and more importantly why do you even jump to these conclusions. I wont be taking up the offer because I believe the speedbox will eventually be found out by the bosch diagnostics due to the fact that the recorded speed in the system is actually 3 kph faster than the actual speed so even if set to the legal value as recorded by gps the computor will still believe its been modified to trick it. The whole thing is a crock of shit and I am over it. I thank everyone who genuinely tried to help and to the conspiricy theorists I say go and get a life

Cya

Growmac

Subscriber
Dec 4, 2020
Wilts, UK
I dont know where you get the idea that a speed box is illegal. What is illegal is modifying an ebike to go faster than the legal speed. Quite a different proposition .How and more importantly why do you even jump to these conclusions. I wont be taking up the offer because I believe the speedbox will eventually be found out by the bosch diagnostics due to the fact that the recorded speed in the system is actually 3 kph faster than the actual speed so even if set to the legal value as recorded by gps the computor will still believe its been modified to trick it. The whole thing is a crock of shit and I am over it. I thank everyone who genuinely tried to help and to the conspiricy theorists I say go and get a life

Cya
Nice of you to take your frustrations out on us. Makes for a lovely impression. Now could you go put your toys back in the pram, they're littering up the place.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I thank everyone who genuinely tried to help and to the conspiricy theorists I say go and get a life

Cya
1646916318412.png

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
To the OP, maybe i missed it but do you have a problem?
I am pretty sure your bike works, you pedal and it moves forward?
Are you fussing about tiny details?
My Ebike was sold on 29x2.4.
Now i ride it 29x2.8 front, 29x3.0 rear.
I did not ask permission, i am not doing anything illegal.

Chairman

Feb 25, 2022
Nz
Hi. Oh i get that. Cannondale has come back to me and have now explained how it is and why it is that they wont alow the software change. I can sort of understand their need to be seen to be proactive in stopping people from ilkegally modifying beyond a countries legal limit. Although in my country there actually isn't one, but we digress. Now if they had given me this answer in the first place I may not have gotten quite so wound up but the stories about being designed specifically for a 29 and a 27.5 would somehow cause everything to fail catastrophicly( a little poetic license here but i am sure you get my drift) well none of those stories held up to any sort of scrutiny and quite frankly it annoys me that i am or at least was the only rider in our group whose bike would lose assistance at a greatly diminished speed. Problem has been solved,at least temporarily. It does seem bizarre that i cant ride without a Kiosk computer turned yet it is now now able to record or display accurate data
Oh a by the way none of this should detract from the performance of the bike. Its actually a very well built piece of kit and the only downside is the inability to accurately portray your wheelsize should you move away from a stock setup. I find the bike rides infinitely better in a mullet configuration but I am equally sure there will be others who prefer standard. That is how it should be, personal choice

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Well i am not sure that is correct. Software is factory set and model dependant. The medium comes with the 29 software and the small with 27.5. I am sure my bike shop would do it if they could access the software. If someone could show or explain exactly how to do it I would much appreciate it but at this stage my local shop are as frustrated as I am and they deal in a lot of bikes and even have haibike mullet bosch hire bikes but they cant access whats needed to reconfigure my moterra to accept a smaller wheel and its starting to piss me off. But i may have given that away in the header
Ahh NO. Some brands may have custom firmware, but the diagnostic software supplied by Bosch will read and allow wheel size adjustment by any acredited Bosch dealer.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
BTW - depending on what tires you are running on the 27.5 the rolling circumfrence may be almost negligable and not wortth worrying about.

Chairman

Feb 25, 2022
Nz
Been down this route. The allowable circumference when taken to its smallest allowable wheelsize still has an almost 3 kph difference to actual as measured in comparison with other bikes and my Garmin gps

Chairman

Feb 25, 2022
Nz
And we have been talking directly to the bosch rep and it is not the case

Zaskar20

Aug 17, 2021
UK
Sorry you've had these problems.

Title could be edited to include "customer/technical services" maybe??

protowheeler

Sep 10, 2019
England
If you're mulleting the bike it might be a tough sell because technically you could slap a 29" wheel back on there and have the bike going above the speed limit (since the circumference programmed would have been a smaller value). And if the bike isn't design to be mulleted then you're outside the scope of the design. So I can see why they wouldn't want to change your wheel circumference to be smaller.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I can't believe this is still being discussed! Just find a better shop or fit a Volspeed. You could even set the Volspeed to only compensate for the smaller wheel .

Chairman

Feb 25, 2022
Nz
Why would you think it doesn't warrant discussion? Are you of the belief that you should never be allowed to modify your bike in any way for fear of warranty being rescinded. If that is the case then you have no real need to comment
Have a good day sir. I am off riding now will check in later

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
This discussion is going nowhere. People with experience of mulletting bikes with the Bosch CX motor are telling you what you need to do and you seem unable to see past the misinformation that your LBS has fed you.

RiderOnTheStorm

I have mulleted my Moterra 1 and now I cant get Cannondale or Bosch to allow the wheel circumference to be changed to match the actual.
@Chairman I'm thinking about going for a mullet setup on my Moterra 2. Have you eventually found a solution to have the wheel circumference modified in your Bosch motor to correctly reflect your 27.5 wheel size?

Chairman

Feb 25, 2022
Nz
No unfortunately I couldn't. I elected to go with a speedbox and solar I have done a bit over 6000 ks problem free. I have also heavily modified and run 200 mm boxxers and 185 mm rear by changing the rear pick up link. However just a straight mullet without changing anything else was the biggest single improvement

RiderOnTheStorm

Bummer! Was really hoping for a simple solution (that doesn't require tuning).

My LBS told me a similar story as yours. The bike manufacturer need to first authorize the change. The bike shop would then schedule a time for the manufacturer to connect to the bike remotely and download the changes to the motor.

But if the manufacturer declines, it's a grid lock. Sounds like Cannondale is not supporting such changes unfortunately :(

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Bummer! Was really hoping for a simple solution (that doesn't require tuning).

My LBS told me a similar story as yours. The bike manufacturer need to first authorize the change. The bike shop would then schedule a time for the manufacturer to connect to the bike remotely and download the changes to the motor.

But if the manufacturer declines, it's a grid lock. Sounds like Cannondale is not supporting such changes unfortunately :(
If you currently run 2.3 tyres on the 29er wheel and you change to a 27.5 with a 3.0 tyre the circumference is the same (Overall wheel + tyre diameter is 740mm in both cases)!
I would guess the difference between a 29/2.4 combo and 27.5/3.0 is also virtually the same.

Chairman

Feb 25, 2022
Nz
If you currently run 2.3 tyres on the 29er wheel and you change to a 27.5 with a 3.0 tyre the circumference is the same (Overall wheel + tyre diameter is 740mm in both cases)!
I would guess the difference between a 29/2.4 combo and 27.5/3.0 is also virtually the same.
I went from a 2.6 to a 2.8 and the circumference is still hugely different. The 3.0 tyres seem to be way too flexy

Chairman

Feb 25, 2022
Nz
@Mikerb Thanks! Thinking my mullet setup will be 27.5x2.6 coming from 29x2.6 with EC evo super gravity tyres and keeping the same rim width. So the new wheel circumference will be different and should eventually be set at the motor level.
I am not sure how you would propose to set the circumference. Even my 2.8 dhf was quite a few kph off even when maxed out at the smallest allowable wheel setting. I would be extremely interested to know if your shop managed to get a setting change from Bosch or Cannondale. My guys could not

Chairman

Feb 25, 2022
Nz
Yeah I don't really understand why Cannondale were so against allowing they shop to access the file that would have allowed the wheel to register the correct speed. Particularly given that NZ don't even have a law that won't allow the use of derestricting. Anyway speedbox has done the trick, and bike has been super reliable so I shouldn't complain too much I guess

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles