Help me choose,Hope tech 3 e4 or Shimano xt 4pot

Neverbeentomoab

Jun 17, 2019
Middlesbrough
Need new brakes for my levo as the stock levels are rubbish. Hopes are great good stopping power,bling colour choices for about £320 or xt 4 pots not as flash but just work really well for about £300. What’s your preference

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Just swapping too Zee's with the RT86 disks and the shimano 180 to 203 adaptors (about €5 each - bike discount.de).

Only changed the rear caliper so far and it's chalk and cheese compared to the SRAM rim break emulation system.

I think the XT's are XT levers and saint calipers - but might be wrong ?

I think the decision depends a lot on your priorities ..

Want Pretty - Hope - no questions.

Want something that works and parts are easy to get - Shimano.

I was stuck on the hope fence for quiet a while ..

adapters :

Shimano SM-MA-F203P/PM Adapter Front (180mm) to 203mm | Disc Adaptors Shop

Rotors :

Shimano XT SM-RT86 6-hole Disc Rotor 203mm | Brake Rotor Discs Shop

Zee front and rear with H03C metals :

Shimano ZEE BR-M640-B Disc Brake Set with H03C Metal | Disc Brake - Sets Shop

Last edited:

Cubie

Feb 19, 2020
Fife, Scotland
Had hope V4/E4 on my Nukeproof Mega. Hated them from the minute I fitted them. Inconsistent lever, complete pain in the arse to bleed and they just didn’t have the power to match the price. The 2 pot XT’s they replaced were every bit as good if not better. Im a huge fan of hope stuff but I’ll never buy brakes again.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Just swapping too Zee's with the RT86 disks and the shimano 180 to 203 adaptors (about €5 each - bike discount.de).

Only changed the rear caliper so far and it's chalk and cheese compared to the SRAM rim break emulation system.

I think the XT's are XT levers and saint calipers - but might be wrong ?

I think the decision depends a lot on your priorities ..

Want Pretty - Hope - no questions.

Want something that works and parts are easy to get - Shimano.

I was stuck on the hope fence for quiet a while ..

adapters :

Shimano SM-MA-F203P/PM Adapter Front (180mm) to 203mm | Disc Adaptors Shop

Rotors :

Shimano XT SM-RT86 6-hole Disc Rotor 203mm | Brake Rotor Discs Shop

Zee front and rear with H03C metals :

Shimano ZEE BR-M640-B Disc Brake Set with H03C Metal | Disc Brake - Sets Shop

Want something that works really well from the box but if you actually ride hard enough will definitely fail on you at some point and will probably develop the infamous pre-brake procedure. ie. first lever pull will come back to your grip giving no braking power but the second pull will pump fliud and operate normally. and will have absolutely zero spares available meaning you'll just plug (and bleed) and go with either a new lever/hose/caliper?
Definitely go with Shimano.

Want something mediocre with far too many adjusters and looks like it was designed by an autistic magpie but can be completely re-built in numerous colours with every single part available as a spare (for just a few years)

WTF is it with men calling brake levers pretty?

FYI

Pretty

skynews-victorias-secret-fashion-show_4483243.jpg

These are just multi coloured overly machined bike parts.

Hope-Tech-3-V4-Brakes-Blue-Orange-Purple-Red-Silver.jpg

#WorldWiminzday2020

Last edited:

Elover

Feb 5, 2020
Chelmsford
I love the look of hope's, have had them a few times over 25 years.... Just sold my v4s and went back to saints. Just something in the modulation I didnt like on the hopes.. Its all a personal thing, but saints have been the most reliable and best feel for me.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Nah... They're just leaving tonight's pre-celebration party

#CelebratingSundayssince1970

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
Apart from them working well for me, Hope are made just up the road from me, not in a Chinese factory. That’s why I choose them. Support UK engineering.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Yeah... i have work in the morning. Plus I also have you to entertain.
They understand

Dan63

Feb 4, 2019
Brisbane
My bike came with BR-M8000 XT 2 pot front and rear. I have recently fitted a BR-M8120 XT 4 pot caliper to the front and very happy. Easy to bleed, great shimano lever feel, intial bite is strong and overall has big stopping power.

Another to look at... the new SLX 4 pot BR-M7120 seems to be more or less identical to the XT and XTR calipers but is a very good budget option coming in a lot cheaper.

Tim69

Feb 25, 2019
Israel
Ended up going for hopes. Got a really good deal and free colour choice on bore caps,bolts etc
You won't regret it!
Their the best feeling brake ever! Had the X2s on my all mountain bike for years.. and the M4s on my downhill bike, and now on my Ebike! For just as long.. never a bleed!
And they work amazing! Every person who tries out my bike always comments on the amazing feel of the brakes..
???
Tim

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles