Hope tech 3 or magura mt 7

BammBamm

Nov 21, 2018
Straya
I've had nothing but headaches with my Magura MT5's. They are temperamental and a pain in the ass to bleed. Once you get it down to art it's a bit easier. The levers are some carbon-plastic composite... Having to bleed them often I stripped one of the holes. (Yes, I always torqued to correct nm). The response from Magura support was disappointing to say the least. Finally the entire lever body shattered, so in the bin they went. Will never buy magura again. Now running Shigura - shimano levers with the mt5 calipers and it's so much better.

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
Get hopes man. Got the e4's on my 'normal' mtb and v4's on my levo. Both very good and pretty easy to bleed. Plus they look pretty darn good

I love my Hope E3 setup too. Also worth considering supporting quality UK made MTB products that have been developed by enthusiasts. It’s companies like this that support the MTB community too.

b45her

Dec 1, 2019
wales
If you want underpowered ornaments go hope. If you want rediculous power and reliability go magura, get them bled by someone that knows what they are doing and you will never have to touch them other than to swap out pads. Only use organic pads with them too as they generate so much stopping power they can fry sintered pads.

ImSundee

Jan 20, 2020
Oxford

b45her

Dec 1, 2019
wales
I'm not sure what you mean by that, as if your frying Sintered, you will be doing organics too. Whole point of sintered is adding metalic compound for better stability at heat. I think you might have got them around the wrong way

Which Disc Brake Pads Should You Get? - Merlin Cycles Blog

on most brakes i would agree, use sintered.

not the MT 4 pots though, got my rear brake glowing red at champery a couple of summers ago using sintered pads, changed to organics as recommended by a local and hey presto no problems, no noticable difference in power and no heat related issues or weirdness.
seem to last ages too. magura themselves recommend sticking to organics too.

STATO

Feb 18, 2020
North
on most brakes i would agree, use sintered.

not the MT 4 pots though, got my rear brake glowing red at champery a couple of summers ago using sintered pads, changed to organics as recommended by a local and hey presto no problems, no noticable difference in power and no heat related issues or weirdness.
seem to last ages too. magura themselves recommend sticking to organics too.

Sintered for wet, organic for dry. Sintered work better in the wet but do also cope with heat better, they also generate more normally, and even more in the dry as they are not as good as organic so get worked harder by the rider (relative to organic).

You can push organic too far in the dry so they get hot, which is when sintered are better, but really you want to not push organic to that point, either by matching rotor size to demand, managing your breaking better (easier said than done!), or buying more powerful breaks.

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
4F59073A-D744-468C-9AB2-8762C6D8A7C1.jpeg

This just arrived. Hopefully get a chance to tackle the fitting at the weekend!

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
From standard guide brakes more for looks than stopping power as it stops good now ive put hope discs on the front seems to stop better ??‍♂️
Do you mean rotors?
You'd probably have gained the same improvement by simply cleaning the SRAM centreline's. Hope's standard rotors have zero performance gain over those.
hope discs on the front
Unless you really did put 2 brakes on the front of your bike ;)
what "looks nice" is so subjective isn't it?
I actually think Magura's levers look (and feel) like lego. Hope look (and feel) like nicely CNC'd mechano.
interestingly servicing/looking after each also comes into the same category of childs toy or nerdy mechanical hobbiest toy.

Both companies IMO do things pointlessly "their way"
eg. Magura and their stupid non standard thread pitch on bleed port bolts and lever clamp bolts.
Hope's shitey million and one tolerance fit pin and circlip approach not to mention their need for specific adapters and bar accessory adapters
Coming from the car industry it's always seemed to me that Hope have a policy of "if we can't make sure you'll need a hammer and a brew to service a component we won't bother making it" ;)

Beefy81

Feb 22, 2020
Manchester
Another vote for hope here I've had sram guides, shimano xt, formula among others. Now I have a set of e4's and v4's on my dh that go from bike too bike I'm sure there are more powerful, better looking brakes but my experience is they just work and are easy too adjust, and maintain

JaySal

Sep 23, 2019
Todwick
A copy of MBR magazine landed yesterday and it contains a comparison between all those brakes and the SRAM guides which are on the Levo. Might be worth you having a read of it.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
That's an awful lot of 9 & 10/10 marks to hand out.. you could be forgiven for thinking the magazine hadn't actually done any real life testing or maintenance on any of them and had just copied the product blurbs over while their photographer took pics of them not even fitted to bikes ;)

That leaves our winner – the SRAM Guide RE. We think it’s SRAM most versatile because it works on an e-bike or a normal bike.
lol

You couldn't make that shit up.

I actually like REs but they're definitely not the "best" in any category. Whether it be price, weight, durability, reliability, ease of maintenance, consistency, power or modulation.

Beefy81

Feb 22, 2020
Manchester
I like the guides but was put off when ridding in Andorra and the heat caused the lever too lock up well known problem apparently and I've boiled them abroad on long decents more down to me being on the brakes too much cos I'm crap than the fault of the brakes though I'm sure

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles