• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Unanswered Help making a decision - Levo or Spectral:ON

raymondkerr

Apr 15, 2019
East Kilbride, Glasgow Scotland
Budget £3500 or there abouts. I have rounded my choice to either a base model 2019 Levo 29ner with Rockshox suspension or the Canyon Spectral:ON 6.0 with 150mm Travel Fox and 29/27 mullet wheel setup. Both having a 500wh battery. I like the idea of the Shimano system being reliable and good performance but I am liking the look of the Levo's All other models are out of my price range, on the Levo all I can see that I'd have to add is a dropper post.

What are your thoughts? anything else I should consider ?

This will be my second EMTB, I've currently got a 130mm travel Giant Stance - but would like something a bit better. I ride alot onroads but also fireroads and trails.

thanks
Raymond

Canyon SpectralON.PNG

Specialized Levo.PNG

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
There is something to be said for both option. Me, I would try to snag a ride on each of them and make my mind up around that. Personally, I am not keen on the mullet style - one wheel size or the other is my preference based on past experiences with a 96r - or is that 69er?

Is it the e7000 or the e8000 motor in the Canyon?

raymondkerr

Apr 15, 2019
There is something to be said for both option. Me, I would try to snag a ride on each of them and make my mind up around that. Personally, I am not keen on the mullet style - one wheel size or the other is my preference based on past experiences with a 96r - or is that 69er?

Is it the e7000 or the e8000 motor in the Canyon?

Thanks for the feedback, the canyon has the e8000 motor. My current bike is 27.5, I’ve never tried 29 or the mullet setup. Pitty canyon are direct they’ll be little to no chance of ever getting a demo. I do have Evans nearby but they don’t hold Levos in stock to Demo unfortunately. Something tells me to go with the canyon, just not 100% on that yet. ?

Raymond

miPbiP

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Surrey Hills.
I rode a Spectral:ON 7.0 several times, I bought a Turbo Levo Carbon Comp for £1k more.

Reasons I preferred the Levo:
* less sleddy handling, more "normal bike" (to be fair, Fabien Barel throws the Canyon around like it's made of balsa, so perhaps the issue is me. however few of us are DH World Champs).
* less pedal strikes on the Levo (almost none) - quite a lot on the Canyon.
* I'm fine with the mullet but think the 2.8 rear is more than I needed. Man it's big.
* I prefer the minimalist UI compared to the constantly updating screen of the Canyon. Tho maybe it can be turned off/removed. If you ever ride in the dark that would be essential. I run the Levo in stealth mode.
* Levo motor is significantly quieter.
* dealer back-up
* looks
* I just damn fancied one.
* for lack of a better description, the Levo is just nicer.

In terms of build kit VFM, Canyon wins by a country mile. It's not even close.

If there was no Levo, I would have been very happy with the Canyon. There is a Levo and I'm happy with it also, despite being more spendy.

If your budget is strict, that adds points to the Canyon. My comparison isn't really like-for-like on price.

Last edited:

raymondkerr

Apr 15, 2019
I rode a Spectral:ON 7.0 several times, I bought a Turbo Levo Carbon Comp for £1k more.

Reasons I preferred the Levo:
* less sleddy handling, more "normal bike" (to be fair, Fabien Barel throws the Canyon around like it's made of balsa, so perhaps the issue is me. however few of us are DH World Champs).
* less pedal strikes on the Levo (almost none) - quite a lot on the Canyon.
* I'm fine with the mullet but think the 2.8 rear is more than I needed. Man it's big.
* I prefer the minimalist UI compared to the constantly updating screen of the Canyon. Tho maybe it can be turned off/removed. If you ever ride in the dark that would be essential. I run the Levo in stealth mode.
* Levo motor is significantly quieter.
* dealer back-up
* looks
* I just damn fancied one.
* for lack of a better description, the Levo is just nicer.

In terms of build kit VFM, Canyon wins by a country mile. It's not even close.

If there was no Levo, I would have been very happy with the Canyon. There is a Levo and I'm happy with it also, despite being more spendy.

If your budget is strict, that adds points to the Canyon. My comparison isn't really like-for-like on price.

thanks for your honest opinion. I really do like the looks of the Levo but I am worried that my budget will only stretch to the base model which is currently reduced from £4k to about £3,500. I have been swaying towards canyon due to the spec for money comparison. i.e fox suspension coupled with Shimano electrics and Sram drivechain. I feel that the 2019 FSR Levo components are of lower spec for the money you pay, just can't get over how sexy the matt black/blue frame is on the Levo.

I'm about to sell my current Giant ebike so I'll have the funds soon, I think despite what I've discussed above, I think Canyon is nearing closer to being 'the one' can't wait for them to release the 2020, I'm too impatient lol although I'll probably regret it. lol

Raymond

TimVW

Jul 11, 2019
Warwickshire
What size do you need?

The women’s Spectral:ON 7.0 is reduced again to c £3.7k and has a better spec than the men’s, but only goes to size M. Geo and sizing is identical to the men’s, but would need to change the WMN specific saddle.

Luckily I’m a shortstock!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles