Help choosing first e-mtb

Jack___

Mar 31, 2022
Spain
Hi,

I'm looking at getting a first e-mountain bike. I'm currently tossing up between a Cube Reaction Performance 625 2021 for 2300 euro, and the Cube Reaction Pro 625 2022 for 3000 euro. (not a fan of the 2022 performance colours, and if I was going to justify spending more, looking for a bigger step up).

I'd be using it for a mix of city riding and moderate trails, nothing extreme (I used to do a bit of mountain biking when I was young, but wouldn't be pushing it quite as hard now I'm a bit older).

Do you think the improved specs would would be a noticeable improvement and a better buy long term? I suppose there is also resale value to consider.

The newer pro version has the Bosch cx gen 4 motor with 85nm vs the performance gen 3 with 65nm on the 2021. Would the gen 4 be a very noticeable difference? I'm about 100kg. From what I can gather it's about 15% increase in torque.

And of course the 2022 pro has a better fork air with lockout vs a spring on the 2021. And also a 11 speed vs 9. I suppose these could be upgraded down the road though?

As with all new hobbies it's hard to get a grasp of what really is going to make a noticeable difference, and what is just a marginal improvement, especially for a relative beginner. It would be great to save the 700 euro if they are both good choices..

Would the key difference I'd be stuck with be the motor?

Funkeydunk

Subscriber
May 28, 2019
Uk
The cx is a better motor, the only thing that lets the reaction down are the forks. The rest will be fine, depending on the terrain you’ll be riding I’d consider either tubeless or new tyres.

these guys have a good stock available

Bummers

Mar 12, 2022
UK
The newer pro version has the Bosch cx gen 4 motor with 85nm vs the performance gen 3 with 65nm on the 2021. Would the gen 4 be a very noticeable difference? I'm about 100kg. From what I can gather it's about 15% increase in torque.

That's closer to 30% more torque.

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
I'd opt for the '22 model with the gen4. And be prepared to upgrade somewhere down the line, as the brakes and forks on both models arent really that good.

LeftItLancs

Apr 12, 2021
North UK
I am over 100kg and chose the gen 4 which is a beast of an engine. There isn't anywhere hill-wise on the road I can't get up and also offroad on most public tracks and trails. My logic was that a robust bike and a more powerful engine will cope better with the weight and to date, it has done exactly what I need it to do.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
a few things to consider.
The cheaper bike has quite a bit higher lowest gear of 38x36. - Not really an issue unless you're particularly unfit/heavy/weak or you plan on climbing trails steeper than normal mtbs do.
The 9 speed Alivio rear mech doesn't have a clutch. so if you intend on riding anything super rough you might have issues with chain retention. although looking at the pic both bikes seem to have a chainguard so hopefully there's also a guide to the rear of that to help keep the chain in place.
Neither bike has a great fork. But that may not matter to you. £500 would buy you a far better fork than either.
Tyres aren't great either. but from what you say you'll be riding they're perfectly adequate.
I guess there's a reason you've narrowed it down to just two bikes from the same manufacturer.

Jack___

Mar 31, 2022
Spain
Thanks everyone for the replies. Looks like the consensus is to go for the 2022 model.

a few things to consider.
The cheaper bike has quite a bit higher lowest gear of 38x36. - Not really an issue unless you're particularly unfit/heavy/weak or you plan on climbing trails steeper than normal mtbs do.
The 9 speed Alivio rear mech doesn't have a clutch. so if you intend on riding anything super rough you might have issues with chain retention. although looking at the pic both bikes seem to have a chainguard so hopefully there's also a guide to the rear of that to help keep the chain in place.
Neither bike has a great fork. But that may not matter to you. £500 would buy you a far better fork than either.
Tyres aren't great either. but from what you say you'll be riding they're perfectly adequate.
I guess there's a reason you've narrowed it down to just two bikes from the same manufacturer.

Yeah from what I could gather they seemed to be suited for a mix of city and trails and good value for a bike under 3000 euro. If there are any others I should consider I'm all ears

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles