Hello from the North East

B1257

Aug 18, 2021
England
Hello all,

Just popping in to introduce myself. Names Steven and I'm up in North East. Hamsterley is my local forest so well served with riding opportunities.

Been cycling on the road for last 15 years but decided it was time to explore muddier/bumpier stuff.

Managed to get a Rail 9 on cycle to work scheme and it's a cracking bike.

Took it to Hamsterley at the weekend and tried the red trails. Doable but not at any kind of speed and many chicken lines were used.

Managed to get my intentions confused with my capabilities and had a small off which resulted in a swollen knee (just ordered some D30 knee pads).

Apart from time and miles any tips to increase said capabilities?

Been into motorbikes all my life and know that on track days they do novice group, intermediate and fast. Any such groups exist in the mtb world?

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Hi and welcome to the world of emtb’s

Hamsterley is a fantastic forest and the trails there are excellent, but it’s not the best place for beginners. The red trails are quite ‘bike parky’ with multiple jumps & drops and the off piste are very steep & fast. However, if it’s your local you may as well use it.

I’d suggest sessioning certain trails over & over again to gain confidence. ‘Accelerator’ for instance would be great for learning speed & berms, and can be easily ridden over & over. It’s only a short trail (around 45 seconds) but has no other features to trip you up. K-line can be ridden by rolling over all the features rather than trying to jump everything, and again can be easily sessioned until you feel confident to take it at speed. Transmission is the trail in between that links K-line & Accelerator, but is quite a roller coaster and you’ll find yourself just hanging on rather than learning new skills. The skills loop not far from the main car park area is actually quite good at Hamsterley and is useful for a warm up and to ‘get in the zone’

Get yourself booked on a group skills course. They’ll offer different courses for different levels of abilities, and you’ll find yourself teamed up with people of similar ability, which could lead to having future riding buddies. What you’ll learn in a few hours on a skills course will be invaluable and take your riding to the next level, whilst being able to practice what you’ve been taught on the trails in your own time

Wise move buying knee pads. They’ll save your knees from a lot of future scars

Enjoy!

A1000

Aug 16, 2021
UK
Welcome, I'm in the process of adjusting what little skill I have to get more out of my EMTB also and as suggested riding a few trails on repeat to get used to them so that you can focus on technique is a good way. I'm really using my weight a bit more to balance the bike which makes for a more in control and using some different muscles so no longer limited by pedling muscles! Equally, the uphill parts of my rides are now an opportunity to practice line and technique over roots etc.. with the power. Hope it all comes together for you(y)

Stevev

Sep 17, 2021
Durham
Hello all,

Just popping in to introduce myself. Names Steven and I'm up in North East. Hamsterley is my local forest so well served with riding opportunities.

Been cycling on the road for last 15 years but decided it was time to explore muddier/bumpier stuff.

Managed to get a Rail 9 on cycle to work scheme and it's a cracking bike.

Took it to Hamsterley at the weekend and tried the red trails. Doable but not at any kind of speed and many chicken lines were used.

Managed to get my intentions confused with my capabilities and had a small off which resulted in a swollen knee (just ordered some D30 knee pads).

Apart from time and miles any tips to increase said capabilities?

Been into motorbikes all my life and know that on track days they do novice group, intermediate and fast. Any such groups exist in the mtb world?

Hi, I'm from the North east and a motorbike rider as well. I'm interested in knowing who you used for the cycle to work scheme and the cost if that wouldn't be too personal. I've just registered the company I work for with the intention of doing exactly as you have. I have just hired a KTM ebike in Portugal and decided ebike is the route for me. Cheers Steve.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles