Hello from Southern California

Rixavatar

Feb 27, 2023
California
New EMTB member here with a 2022 Specialized Levo Expert along my Stumpjumper. I was very skeptical about eMTB but I have to say, I think I'm hooked! I've already added AXS shifting (I understand the 2023 Expert will get this as standard, but the current sale still makes it well worth it for 2022) and I'm pondering my next set of tires for the SoCal desert hills (lots of loose over hard, sand, rocks, the works... the trails can't make up their mind!). I've already learned a lot from these forums and it seems like a great community!

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
New EMTB member here with a 2022 Specialized Levo Expert along my Stumpjumper. I was very skeptical about eMTB but I have to say, I think I'm hooked! I've already added AXS shifting (I understand the 2023 Expert will get this as standard, but the current sale still makes it well worth it for 2022) and I'm pondering my next set of tires for the SoCal desert hills (lots of loose over hard, sand, rocks, the works... the trails can't make up their mind!). I've already learned a lot from these forums and it seems like a great community!
Welcome! Try not to ask anything controversial (Are FF better than SL for me? or Do I look fat on my bike?), state any opinions that might be taken as facts (25 PSI is the absolute lowest tire pressure that any reasonable person should ever run their tires at!) and you will get along just fine here ;).
BTW, Assagai front tires and DHR II rears are the only tires worth putting on a bike. The Specialized tires that come stock are absolute garbage (I should know, I have bought 4 Specialized emtbs so I am some what of an authority on the subject - :whistle:)

Rixavatar

Feb 27, 2023
California
Welcome! Try not to ask anything controversial (Are FF better than SL for me? or Do I look fat on my bike?), state any opinions that might be taken as facts (25 PSI is the absolute lowest tire pressure that any reasonable person should ever run their tires at!) and you will get along just fine here ;).
BTW, Assagai front tires and DHR II rears are the only tires worth putting on a bike. The Specialized tires that come stock are absolute garbage (I should know, I have bought 4 Specialized emtbs so I am some what of an authority on the subject - :whistle:)
These are some of the options I was considering, actually. What I'm not sure about is what sidewall to go with. The LBS talked me into CushCore and I'm still not sure how I feel about as I'm a super aggressive rider. I like the peace of mind about the rims, but I also really noticed the extra rotational weight, even on an eBike (though I run on Eco and even off at times when riding with friends w/o eMTBs. In "off" the CushCore felt like someone added lead to the tires). Maybe a DD or DH sidewall might negate the idea of using CushCore? But I'm still in the re-learning phase, which is where this forum is really helpful!

Last edited:

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
These are some of the options I was considering, actually. What I'm not sure about is what sidewall to go with. The LBS talked me into CushCore and I'm still not sure how I feel about as I'm a super aggressive rider. I like the peace of mind about the rims, but I also really noticed the extra rotational weight, even on an eBike (though I run on Eco and even off at times when riding with friends w/o eMTBs. In "off" the CushCore felt like someone added lead to the tires). Maybe a DD or DH sidewall might negate the idea of using CushCore? But I'm still in the re-learning phase, which is where this forum is really helpful!
Well... way to pick a topic to start an argument! If you are an aggressive rider, can ride with anything less than EXO+/Cushcore, have tried DD/DH tires and noticed the rotational weight, I can tell you that you have found the perfect group to start that discussion (although, its been beat to death a number of times on this forum)!
My wife and I have heavily modified Levo SLs and I have a Kenevo SL. When we ride trails we use EXO+ with Cushcore in the front and DD with Cushcore in the rear, on carbon rims, at less than 20 PSI. When we ride Park, we switch to DD/Cushcore front and DH/Cushcore rear. I dont notice the extra weight on my bike as I do on me :(. The trails I ride are listed in my tag line (Squamish and Whistler). There will be a variety of counter opinions on the tire choice but most of the people here are from the UK and are not what I would call aggressive riders as the average age is over 60 and they seem to prefer time, variety and distance over steep and living on the edge :unsure:. @BAMBAMODA will always have a provocative opinion!

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
There seems to be a Cali invasion lately.

1.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles