Hello from Christchurch, New Zealand

kiwibiker

Dec 5, 2020
NZ
Hello all... I am a trail bike rider in the forests and hills around the south island, and next week I'll be buying an ebike, due mostly that I cannot do the distance on an analog bike due to a spinal injury.
I don'tt know which one yet, as there seems to be too much choice, and a lot of info to research and digest. Hence why I am now on the forum to read up as much as I can!

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
Hello all... I am a trail bike rider in the forests and hills around the south island, and next week I'll be buying an ebike, due mostly that I cannot do the distance on an analog bike due to a spinal injury.
I don'tt know which one yet, as there seems to be too much choice, and a lot of info to research and digest. Hence why I am now on the forum to read up as much as I can!
In your deliberations, also check out the local bike shops in your area... in particular, the ones that have a good reputation for service and support for which ever bike suits your fancy.

Things may have changed now, but when I was at the stage you're at, I narrowed it down to Giant and Trek. Specialized had a lot of motor problems at the time and was well above my price range anyway.

Welcome to the forum!

kiwibiker

Dec 5, 2020
NZ
Thank you mate. Will do! Supply is a problem, and I've found that the shops want a deposit up front, or its sold to someone else... latest shipments seem to be arrving early Jan, snd because demand is exceeding supply the sales guys aren't working too hard

Muzza

Jul 3, 2020
New Zealand
Yea it's a bit crazy at the moment. If you don't lock one down soon you may have to wait until March or April as most of the common sizes are well sold in advance. Shame we don't have the same variety as Europe but it is what it is I suppose.
I narrowed my search to Trek & Specialized & ended up with a Levo & love it. Although they were having motor troubles, no one ever had a bad word about the bike & it's riding characteristics?
Good luck..

kiwibiker

Dec 5, 2020
NZ
Yea it's a bit crazy at the moment. If you don't lock one down soon you may have to wait until March or April as most of the common sizes are well sold in advance. Shame we don't have the same variety as Europe but it is what it is I suppose.
I narrowed my search to Trek & Specialized & ended up with a Levo & love it. Although they were having motor troubles, no one ever had a bad word about the bike & it's riding characteristics?
Good luck..
Yes... I like the trek too, but I like the idea of a piggyback battery, and I believe the orbea wild and the haibike are the only ones who do it with bosch.
I've read a lot of the same thing on the specialized motor thing too, but who really knows unless you own one.

Muzza

Jul 3, 2020
New Zealand
Yes... I like the trek too, but I like the idea of a piggyback battery, and I believe the orbea wild and the haibike are the only ones who do it with bosch.
I've read a lot of the same thing on the specialized motor thing too, but who really knows unless you own one.
Off hand I think Focus do a piggyback as well? May have been their older models though :unsure:

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Hey @kiwibiker - welcome and for sure you are not the only one with seemingly 1000 questions.

Your choice of Bosch does kind of minimise the options, but personally I love the motor.
Me, I started on a 2019 Scott eGenius with the Shimano motor and a bit later bought a Levo to give me a bigger battery as at 112kegs I am no lightweight. Did not like a lot about the Levo so sold both and now have a 2020 eGenius with the Bosch motor. To be fair, if Shimano had a bigger battery option at the time I would have stayed with that as I really liked that motor too.

When it comes to piggyback batteries I am not a fan as I prefer bottles to a camelback so want a cage there. @Muzza is correct that Focus had a piggyback system but I think now they have a Bosch motor with the 625Wh battery they have given up on that. The brands you mention have a few good options, but personally I would go for whoever has dealer support locally.

kiwibiker

Dec 5, 2020
NZ
Hey @kiwibiker - welcome and for sure you are not the only one with seemingly 1000 questions.

Your choice of Bosch does kind of minimise the options, but personally I love the motor.
Me, I started on a 2019 Scott eGenius with the Shimano motor and a bit later bought a Levo to give me a bigger battery as at 112kegs I am no lightweight. Did not like a lot about the Levo so sold both and now have a 2020 eGenius with the Bosch motor. To be fair, if Shimano had a bigger battery option at the time I would have stayed with that as I really liked that motor too.

When it comes to piggyback batteries I am not a fan as I prefer bottles to a camelback so want a cage there. @Muzza is correct that Focus had a piggyback system but I think now they have a Bosch motor with the 625Wh battery they have given up on that. The brands you mention have a few good options, but personally I would go for whoever has dealer support locally.
Mate I too am about that weight. I see the large scott egenius has a bosch piggyback system.
How do you find the bike?

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
For me - I love it. Then again, I splashed for the 900 Tuned ..... because, well because.
Have not gone for the piggyback as it is a semi-permanent thing and not just something you can attach in 5 minutes. I get in the 40-50km range around Rotorua and have gone a lot longer at times by being very economical. Usually use about 50/50 Eco and Tour modes but if doing a longer loop will ride Eco more - or even turn assist off at times. Did over 80km that way but screwed up on the last climb and used eMTB mode which burned the remaining 30% too quickly. Was wearing blue tinted glases and did not see it was the purple for eMTB and not the blue for Tour. Yellow lenses stop that happening but I prefer blue for diving in and out of shade and full sunlight so need to be aware.

Philly G

Subscriber
Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
Hey @kiwibiker , personally I find the Bosch 625 battery more than enough to wear me out on a good 3-4 hr ride. A pity to restrict yourself to bikes that have the piggy back option, though it is a good idea. But you can always carry a spare battery in a proper battery backpack if your injury will allow it. If it was me , I would go for the Trek Rail or the Whyte. Rail if I wanted an easily removable battery and 29er, Whyte if I never needed to remove the battery and preferred 27.5. I have the Rail and love it.

kiwibiker

Dec 5, 2020
NZ
Hey @kiwibiker , personally I find the Bosch 625 battery more than enough to wear me out on a good 3-4 hr ride. A pity to restrict yourself to bikes that have the piggy back option, though it is a good idea. But you can always carry a spare battery in a proper battery backpack if your injury will allow it. If it was me , I would go for the Trek Rail or the Whyte. Rail if I wanted an easily removable battery and 29er, Whyte if I never needed to remove the battery and preferred 27.5. I have the Rail and love it.
Never even considered that or knew about it. Ill go to a shop tomorrow and investigate!

Philly G

Subscriber
Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
Never even considered that or knew about it. Ill go to a shop tomorrow and investigate!
Torpedo 7 have the Whyte! A mate of mine just bought one and loves it. My first ride on an eeb was on one, got me hooked they handle very well. Check out the Whyte forum on here, they seem to have a very strong following. Battery is a PITA to remove though ;)

kiwibiker

Dec 5, 2020
NZ
To close the loop on this one, I bought the rail 7 in black/red.
I took it for a spin last night. There is definately no buyers remorse after that!
After spending some time adjusting the suspension on the trail, the bike dialed in very nicely.
I am very happy with it. Without a doubt I now have the "ebike smile"!

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
To close the loop on this one, I bought the rail 7 in black/red.
I took it for a spin last night. There is definately no buyers remorse after that!
After spending some time adjusting the suspension on the trail, the bike dialed in very nicely.
I am very happy with it. Without a doubt I now have the "ebike smile"!
Pics?

kiwibiker

Dec 5, 2020
NZ
Only one i have.
20201215_184625.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles