Hi from Christchurch, New Zealand

davarello

Oct 29, 2018
New Zealand
Been following these forums for a while now, some really good info and input that's helped in making a decision on my first emtb. Thanks to a combination of atrial fibrilation and heart failure, at only 46 I'm basically at the point of "e bike or no bike" - so a Levo Comp it is, picking up tomorrow. Also test rode the Focus Jam and Trek Powerfly, but the geometry, 29er wheels and being able to upgrade to a 700wh battery made sense to me at 115kg/196cm. Looking forward to a three day 80km trip this weekend (staying in lodges on track to recharge) to break the bike in, will post some photos. Cheers, Dave

davarello

Oct 29, 2018
New Zealand
Hi Dave, welcome.
Which ride are you doing?
Queen Charlotte Track over three days staying at Punga Cove and Portage. Did it a few years ago on a regular bike and had to miss about 10k as my heart was playing up (didn't realise how bad it was at the time).

SquireRides

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 4, 2018
UK
Being in my early 40s I think about two things when I ride:

1. I'm glad ebikes mean I wont have to give this up in 20 years time :)
2. I wont be able to afford to retire if I keep spending money on ebikes :(

davarello

Oct 29, 2018
New Zealand
Being in my early 40s I think about two things when I ride:

1. I'm glad ebikes mean I wont have to give this up in 20 years time :)
2. I wont be able to afford to retire if I keep spending money on ebikes :(
Yeah its a lot of money, but paying twice as much as my last bike (YT Jeffsy) for one I can easily ride for a couple of hours at a time is a good investment for my fitness and a whole lot more fun. Looking forward to see how my heart function and weight improves with the extra regular low impact exercise.

duk916

Jul 12, 2018
New Zealand
Queen Charlotte Track over three days staying at Punga Cove and Portage. Did it a few years ago on a regular bike and had to miss about 10k as my heart was playing up (didn't realise how bad it was at the time).
I did the Waikato River trail in a day on my normal bike, hopping to do it again in a day on the e bike. I want to try the mountains to the sea as well.
Good luck have fun safe riding.

Bonz

Jul 2, 2018
New Zealand
Been following these forums for a while now, some really good info and input that's helped in making a decision on my first emtb. Thanks to a combination of atrial fibrilation and heart failure, at only 46 I'm basically at the point of "e bike or no bike" - so a Levo Comp it is, picking up tomorrow. Also test rode the Focus Jam and Trek Powerfly, but the geometry, 29er wheels and being able to upgrade to a 700wh battery made sense to me at 115kg/196cm. Looking forward to a three day 80km trip this weekend (staying in lodges on track to recharge) to break the bike in, will post some photos. Cheers, Dave
Hi Dave, I’m just off to Keiteriteri mtb Park for a ride with a couple of mates, one of whom had a heart attack three years ago.
Thanks to our ebikes we are all able to have heaps of fun.
I’m fighting off cancer and we are all around seventy so you have plenty of time to enjoy the new bike.
Have a great ride.

Last edited:

davarello

Oct 29, 2018
New Zealand
Hi Dave, I’m just off to Keiteriteri mtb Park for a ride with a couple of mates, one whom had a heart attack three years ago.
Thanks to our ebikes we are all able to have heaps of fun.
I’m fighting off cancer and we are all around seventy so you have plenty of time to enjoy the new bike.
Have a great ride.
It's going to be interesting. We're going in a group of 15 and I'm the only one with a motor, but I reckon by the end of the ride there will be a few bikes going on TradeMe

davarello

Oct 29, 2018
New Zealand
I did the Waikato River trail in a day on my normal bike, hopping to do it again in a day on the e bike. I want to try the mountains to the sea as well.
Good luck have fun safe riding.
Will do. Looking forward to seeing what sort of range I can get out of the battery if I tune the assist levels right - ultimate goal is to knock off the Old Ghost Road over two days (with two batteries, 700 wh on order already) - tried it last year and conked out halfway to the first hut!

Mike F

Aug 22, 2018
Auckland New Zealand
Hi davarello

We did Queen Charlotte track November last year. A bit steep in bits however at that stage we did not have ETMB.This is what you can look forward to.
BF976566-9A58-47E1-BD91-71C9F4199AAB.jpeg
A3576E85-E11F-4D2B-81E7-A747C0D93702.jpeg
D8A8E4C5-1378-43EF-9A4B-6BF324E5D05A.jpeg

valium64

Sep 16, 2018
Massa, Italy
Dave welcome! I travel the world for work and I can tell you that of the more than 40 countries visited, New Zealand is the one that left an indelible mark in my heart. In 2010 I also spent my honeymoon touring the two islands for 40 days between October and November in a rented motor home with two mountain bike hiking and biking, mainly in the south island which for me is the top because of its nature so varied that it is almost incredible and the infinite wild and uncontaminated places. Christchurch in particular is perhaps the city where I would go to live more willingly in the world, so with a bit of good envy raids.

davarello

Oct 29, 2018
New Zealand
Dave welcome! I travel the world for work and I can tell you that of the more than 40 countries visited, New Zealand is the one that left an indelible mark in my heart. In 2010 I also spent my honeymoon touring the two islands for 40 days between October and November in a rented motor home with two mountain bike hiking and biking, mainly in the south island which for me is the top because of its nature so varied that it is almost incredible and the infinite wild and uncontaminated places. Christchurch in particular is perhaps the city where I would go to live more willingly in the world, so with a bit of good envy raids.
Glad you enjoyed your trip to NZ, the islands are quite different and the South certainly has a lot space! We're going to Central Otago at Christmas, a week of riding in Queenstown and Wanaka will be really good without hills to worry about.

Ren

Oct 30, 2018
Christchurch - New Zealand
Hi Dave,

Welcome to EMTB, I’m new here too and also living in Christchurch.

I would like to ask you something as you recently got your Levo. Do you know what is the speed limit for Levo eBike in NZ? I can’t find it online. I know the Shimano, Bosch and Yamaha are on 32km/h.

Thanks

davarello

Oct 29, 2018
New Zealand
Hi Dave,

Welcome to EMTB, I’m new here too and also living in Christchurch.

I would like to ask you something as you recently got your Levo. Do you know what is the speed limit for Levo eBike in NZ? I can’t find it online. I know the Shimano, Bosch and Yamaha are on 32km/h.

Thanks
It's 32km/h. In the past a lot of bikes coming here were limited to 25 to meet the Australian law, but now they are coming straight to NZ

ChrisB NZ

Aug 21, 2018
Auckland, New Zealand
Hi Dave. Welcome to the forum. Hope you have a lot of fun on your new bike. There are so many great stories on here of how EMTB's are allowing people to get into, or back into, mountain biking.

We are spoilt for choice in NZ with some amazing trails. My wife and I are doing some of the West Coast trails in December. Not doing the Old Ghost Road this time though. Hope to do Charming Creek and Denniston Plateau.

davarello

Oct 29, 2018
New Zealand
Hi Dave. Welcome to the forum. Hope you have a lot of fun on your new bike. There are so many great stories on here of how EMTB's are allowing people to get into, or back into, mountain biking.

We are spoilt for choice in NZ with some amazing trails. My wife and I are doing some of the West Coast trails in December. Not doing the Old Ghost Road this time though. Hope to do Charming Creek and Denniston Plateau.
I'd like to do some more riding on the West Coast, the new Pike River track looks promising but E bikes aren't allowed according to DOC's rules

davarello

Oct 29, 2018
New Zealand
Just got word that my noisy motor is being replaced under warranty and the new foam insert will be put in at the same time. By the end of the month I should have the 700wh battery as well, so I'll be all set for some epic (and quiet) days of riding.

Brianjonesphoto

Patreon
Oct 8, 2018
Seattle USA
Hi Dave
I too have spent some time on the South Island and I’m envious that you get to call it home. I’m exactly the same height and weigth as you and would like to hear more about how the Levo is working out for you. Here in the USA we are a bit slow on the uptake for EMTBs and the choices are very limited. I’m hoping to pick up a levo or trance E+ (Or maybe someting else with a long top tube and reach) as soon as I can ride both of them.

How’s your battery range? Have you been happy with the suspensions abilities to deal with your weight? I’m contemplating getting a base Levo and going all coil springs instead of buying a comp. I’ve been out of the sport for about a decade so I have no frame of reference for what air springs can do now.

Thanks in advance.

davarello

Oct 29, 2018
New Zealand
Hi Dave
I too have spent some time on the South Island and I’m envious that you get to call it home. I’m exactly the same height and weigth as you and would like to hear more about how the Levo is working out for you. Here in the USA we are a bit slow on the uptake for EMTBs and the choices are very limited. I’m hoping to pick up a levo or trance E+ (Or maybe someting else with a long top tube and reach) as soon as I can ride both of them.

How’s your battery range? Have you been happy with the suspensions abilities to deal with your weight? I’m contemplating getting a base Levo and going all coil springs instead of buying a comp. I’ve been out of the sport for about a decade so I have no frame of reference for what air springs can do now.

Thanks in advance.
Hi Brian,
Good to hear from another clydesdale rider, not that many of us around!
I'm finding the Levo really nice, the handling and fit are dialled and the air suspension is more than capable of carrying the load. I currently run 100psi in the Revelations and 250psi in the rear shock, neither of which are near their maximums (or recommended pressure, which I usually find to be way too high).

I was a bit concerned about the wheels being 28 spoke and not super wide, but so far so good and I've got Cush Core fitted so i can run low pressures (20F, 24R) with far less risk of rim damage or rolling a tyre.

Range wise a 26km (16 miles) ride with 650m of climbing uses about 60% of the 500wh battery, so my theoretical range in hilly country would be about 40k/24mi. Riding on a flatter rolling track at the weekend my range would have been more than 50k (25k used only about 45% battery). The range is comparable with other bikes I tested, but I'm planning to get a 700wh just so I don't get down into the last 10% too often, none of these bikes are fun when the battery dies! If I keep the 500wh and chuck it in a pack I could cover 70k plus.

Sounds like you have a good plan buying the base model and adding coils, I looked at the same (MRP Ribbon, MRP shock) but the upgrade pricing was out of my budget and the Comp gave better brakes and a dropper (which are both very good).

So you can't go wrong with the Levo, the Giant will be solid I'm sure and the only other bike I've tried with a long frame would be the Trek Powerfly LT.

Good luck!

Brianjonesphoto

Patreon
Oct 8, 2018
Seattle USA
Hi Brian,
Good to hear from another clydesdale rider, not that many of us around!
I'm finding the Levo really nice, the handling and fit are dialled and the air suspension is more than capable of carrying the load. I currently run 100psi in the Revelations and 250psi in the rear shock, neither of which are near their maximums (or recommended pressure, which I usually find to be way too high).

I was a bit concerned about the wheels being 28 spoke and not super wide, but so far so good and I've got Cush Core fitted so i can run low pressures (20F, 24R) with far less risk of rim damage or rolling a tyre.

Range wise a 26km (16 miles) ride with 650m of climbing uses about 60% of the 500wh battery, so my theoretical range in hilly country would be about 40k/24mi. Riding on a flatter rolling track at the weekend my range would have been more than 50k (25k used only about 45% battery). The range is comparable with other bikes I tested, but I'm planning to get a 700wh just so I don't get down into the last 10% too often, none of these bikes are fun when the battery dies! If I keep the 500wh and chuck it in a pack I could cover 70k plus.

Sounds like you have a good plan buying the base model and adding coils, I looked at the same (MRP Ribbon, MRP shock) but the upgrade pricing was out of my budget and the Comp gave better brakes and a dropper (which are both very good).

So you can't go wrong with the Levo, the Giant will be solid I'm sure and the only other bike I've tried with a long frame would be the Trek Powerfly LT.

Good luck!
Thanks
What did you think of the powerfly? I test rode a Bulls/Bosch bike and didn’t like the abrupt power on/off feel.

davarello

Oct 29, 2018
New Zealand
Thanks
What did you think of the powerfly? I test rode a Bulls/Bosch bike and didn’t like the abrupt power on/off feel.
It was only a carpark test and it felt like it looks, very solid. The power was more on/off than the Levo and the Bosch hum was always there, but neither were too bad. Overall its a good value as well, but I couldn't help thinking it was the end of the line for the Bosch CX, and given I'm spending a lot of money I might as well buy the newer generation Levo.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles