Headsets

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
After this winter I'm planning on changing all my bearings. As the sales on everything are so good I'm keeping an eye out for bearing or a headset.
For bearing I would know

But what do I need if i want to change my headset?

Can I keep the existing cups in my frame and us the other parts of a new headset?

The website of my frame doesnt give much info:
Frame : Aluschaft 1 1/8 - 1 1/2" tapered
HEADSET: Feimin, A-Head Tapered, Aluminium, Cartridge

As I look on feimin I come across this wich looks the same:
20240115_175910.jpg

The bearings are these :
20230324_180056.jpg
20230324_180139.jpg
Who can give me some wisdom about this

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
You need the inside diameter as well as the outside diameter. Also, the thickness.
In addition, some bearings have an angled face on the top or bottom.

There are a variety of seals, but although sealing is important, find the bearing size and then pick the one with the best seal arrangement.

I have found that Trail Vision is a very helpful company. Their website has lots of pictures, bearing dimensions and explanation to help you decide which bearings you need. They even sell bearing sets for some bikes. Their "Blue Seal" bearings have been specifically designed for bikes. They have better seals, more grease, water-resistant grease, and better grade bearings (ABEC3). You can even buy them made from stainless steel or with special finishes if you want to do so. The web page for each bearing comes with a dimensioned drawing so that you can check it is exactly what you want.

When I first used them, I checked on the internet to see if their prices were competitive and they were! Their delivery is fast too.

Trailvision - Bicycle Specific Bearings

When the page opens, click on the black rectangle containing the words "SHOP BY", then "Bearings" and then choose your option. Have a good look around.

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
You need the inside diameter as well as the outside diameter. Also, the thickness.

There are a variety of seals, but although sealing is important, find the bearing size and then pick the one with the best seal arrangement.

I have found that Trail Vision is a very helpful company. Their website has lots of pictures, bearing dimensions and explanation to help you decide which bearings you need. They even sell bearing sets for some bikes. Their "Blue Seal" bearings have been specifically designed for bikes. They have better seals, more grease, water-resistant grease, and better grade bearings (ABEC3). You can even buy them made from stainless steel or with special finishes if you want to do so. The web page for each bearing comes with a dimensioned drawing so that you can check it is exactly what you want.

When I first used them, I checked on the internet to see if their prices were competitive and they were! Their delivery is fast too.

When the page opens, click on the black rectangle containing the words "SHOP BY", then "Bearings" and then choose your option. Have a good look around.
Thanks for the info!
What about the headset?
It came stock and looks very cheap, water allways gets in and they rust pretty fast.
How do I know wich type of headset I need?
Can I keep the cups or do I need to replace them to?
Most bearings are more expensive the this cheap headset.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Thanks for the info!
What about the headset?
It came stock and looks very cheap, water allways gets in and they rust pretty fast.
I'm not sure what you mean by "the headset". I must have owned a dozen bikes and all I ever did was to replace the bearings. I always put plenty of water-resistant grease above and below the bearings and between all sliding surfaces that could pass water. I may have led a sheltered life and have been lucky with my bikes, but I have never had rusty bearings in the headset.

If you are concerned about rust, you could opt for the stainless-steel version of your bearings.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
your bearings should be marked on their outer edge with the bearing reference number. Just use a bearing supplier and look for the reference numbers. Most suppliers offer a choice of budget and higher quality bearings. An example of higher quality options is the Enduro brand.

Is this a Haibike All mountain? If so a Haibike dealer should be a ble to source what you need.

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
your bearings should be marked on their outer edge with the bearing reference number. Just use a bearing supplier and look for the reference numbers. Most suppliers offer a choice of budget and higher quality bearings. An example of higher quality options is the Enduro brand.

Is this a Haibike All mountain? If so a Haibike dealer should be a ble to source what you need.
No this is a haibike fullnine 10. Sourcing parts is a nightmare as they tmdont have a part list.

The bearings come with nothing written on them

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
No this is a haibike fullnine 10. Sourcing parts is a nightmare as they tmdont have a part list.

The bearings come with nothing written on them
So all you can do is measure both the inner and outer diameter and the width. Also note any angled faces ( it is usual for at least one face of each bearing to have an angled face e.g. 45 degrees etc.) Use that information to search on a bearing supplier website. If all else fails, just use a pin to remove the seals and clean out the bearing race, then refill with a lithium grease.

E-MAD MALC

Subscriber
Nov 16, 2021
EAST SUSSEX

That is a handy link Steve
I was about to order a complete set for my bike only to find out there £40.00 cheaper for Enduro Max

Downhillr

Jul 2, 2021
SF Bay, California
Thanks for the info!
What about the headset?
Best headset I’ve seen are Cane Creek “Hell Bender” series, which is an upgrade to their excellent 40 series that many high-end bikes like Santa Cruz use stock. My riding group use these with great results and durability.

Spiff

Feb 27, 2019
Earth
My headset bearings have the dimensions written in the side, and also the bearing reference: MH-P08 and MH-P28, which are quite standard and can be bought easily, yours probably too.

Headset Bearing 1.jpg Headset Bearing 2.jpg

Last edited:

SP5657

Oct 25, 2022
Kent
Haibike is Raleigh in the UK, I called them for a part number for my bike before and they were very helpful

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles