Headset Vibration

Marcharry

Mar 14, 2022
England
Good Evening

I've started to get a juddering/vibration through my handlebars when on rough ground. I think my headset might need looking at. can anyone advise where I can buy the headset replacement Bearing sets? Trek Powerfully LT 9

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
Before spending money at the lbs, loosen the stem bolts, then tighten the top nut & re tighten the stem bolts. If it's still not right, then you probably need to replace the bearing but first rule out the bolts rattling loose.

Marcharry

Mar 14, 2022
England
Before spending money at the lbs, loosen the stem bolts, then tighten the top nut & re tighten the stem bolts. If it's still not right, then you probably need to replace the bearing but first rule out the bolts rattling loose.
That’s for that, I’ll strip it down this weekend. If not too expensive I might as well replace bearings while it’s in bits🤷‍♂️

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
Headset bearings aren't dear. The logic is the top nut pulls the fork into the headtube & the stem clamps it all up & stops it moving. Over time, the bolts can loosen & the whole system works loose. You can test it by standing over the bike, pull the front brake on & rock the bike back & forth by the bars. If it's loosened, you should be able to feel & hear the play through the bars, maybe even see it where the fork steerer exits the head tube.

Marcharry

Mar 14, 2022
England
Headset bearings aren't dear. The logic is the top nut pulls the fork into the headtube & the stem clamps it all up & stops it moving. Over time, the bolts can loosen & the whole system works loose. You can test it by standing over the bike, pull the front brake on & rock the bike back & forth by the bars. If it's loosened, you should be able to feel & hear the play through the bars, maybe even see it where the fork steerer exits the head tube.
I’ve tried rocking the bike back & forth with break on but felt no movement.

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
Then it may not be the headset. Often when they fail, the clue is the steering starts to feel notchy. If it's smooth & you have no play then the next part in the system is your fork.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
If it is a vibration rather than a rattle it is unlikely to be the headset. More likely is a rubbing disc brake.......the pads fail to retract completely after braking. The cause can be either calliper pistons that need cleaning and lubricating or the brake needs bleeding.

Marcharry

Mar 14, 2022
England
If it is a vibration rather than a rattle it is unlikely to be the headset. More likely is a rubbing disc brake.......the pads fail to retract completely after braking. The cause can be either calliper pistons that need cleaning and lubricating or the brake needs bleeding.
It’s not the breaks, no vibration when breaking. It’s when I go over slightly rough ground it’s not a noisy rattling sound more of a vibration through the bars if you get what I mean.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Brake rub will only cause a vibration through the bars when you are NOT braking...........obviously when you apply the brakes the pads are pushed hard onto the rotor.
Failing that it just sounds like you are experiencing the chatter of rough ground through the bars and whilst that can be fairly normal it can be minimalized by adjusting the fork setting..........getting the fork serviced........getting a better fork.........trying better quality bars.

Marcharry

Mar 14, 2022
England
Brake rub will only cause a vibration through the bars when you are NOT braking...........obviously when you apply the brakes the pads are pushed hard onto the rotor.
Failing that it just sounds like you are experiencing the chatter of rough ground through the bars and whilst that can be fairly normal it can be minimalized by adjusting the fork setting..........getting the fork serviced........getting a better fork.........trying better quality bars.
I’ll have a look at the fork adjustment. Possible need a service…..I’ve rode the bike for 18 months and it’s just started with the judder. Fox 38 fork Bontrager bars.

Marcharry

Mar 14, 2022
England
I've checked the headset & Bearings, all good! Breaks all tight working fine. no play in wheel. Think the Fork is due a service

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
Start with the cheap stuff first.
Tyre pressure, fork pressure/ settings etc.
How old is the bike?
Fork lower service will make a big difference and simple to do, YouTube is your friend.
Unless the bearings have play or are notchy they'll be ok, if not read the numbers or measure them Inc. the chamfer.
I get my bearings from....
Or
Also check wheel bearings, if the fronts gone the rear will be shot aswell.

Marcharry

Mar 14, 2022
England
Start with the cheap stuff first.
Tyre pressure, fork pressure/ settings etc.
How old is the bike?
Fork lower service will make a big difference and simple to do, YouTube is your friend.
Unless the bearings have play or are notchy they'll be ok, if not read the numbers or measure them Inc. the chamfer.
I get my bearings from....
Or
Also check wheel bearings, if the fronts gone the rear will be shot aswell.
Hi, I’ve already had a mess around with the Fork settings. I’ve had all the headset bearings out and they’re working fine everything is tightened up to the correct settings. no play in the wheel or bearings I think it must be the forks. bike is three-year-old. I’ve never serviced forks. I can do most other work. it does look quite simple just wondering if it’s worth me buying all I need Or send it away to my local bike shop

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Hi, I’ve already had a mess around with the Fork settings. I’ve had all the headset bearings out and they’re working fine everything is tightened up to the correct settings. no play in the wheel or bearings I think it must be the forks. bike is three-year-old. I’ve never serviced forks. I can do most other work. it does look quite simple just wondering if it’s worth me buying all I need Or send it away to my local bike shop
Lower leg service is easy but if yours have not been serviced for 3 years you would be better having a full service....and I reckon it is better getting that done professionally, especially if it is a fairly high end fork.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles