Headset 2019 Levo

Trumpet

Mar 2, 2019
Stamford lincs
I have a creak! When I load up the forks and brake. It's either the headset, or, hopefully not, a creaking CSU. I don't think it's the latter as I've flipped the bike upside down, removed the wheel and twisted the lowers. The creak wasn't present. I've cleaned the headset bearings, regreased, put back together and it's still present. Driving me crackers. Sounds like a pane of glass cracking under weight. Next port of call is a complete new headset. Can anyone point me in the right direction to one please?

Thanks.

Villbass

Sep 23, 2019
Drammen, Norway
Hi,

I have had some serious creaking on my 2020 Expert myself. Turned out to be a bit of two things. On hard landings from big jumps etc, landing a bit front heavy I could actually feel the play from the headtube area through the handlebars while hearing the creak.

Tried with a brand new (stock) headset, tried with both just-the-right-tension on the top cap / OneUp, and over-torqued as well, and could not get rid of the play and the creak. Read here on the forums something about the split crown race not holding tension as well as a solid crown race. Seems logical since this can be somewhat demonstrated just by pressing down real hard on the bearing towards the crown. Googled and read about it, and seemed to be backed up by some other claims and personal experiences as well, but mostly it seems that a split crown race should work well on most headsets and setups. BUT as I have a Chris King headset on my Megatower paired to a Fox Factory 36 with a solid Chris King crown race I thought I would give it a try and see.

Mounted that lower CK bearing and that Factory 36 on my Levo and the play and creak is gone! At least 95% good. Can still feel a very slight play under heavy load.

Checked the 36 that was previously on my Levo and it creaked when twisting the fork legs when the bike was upside down, but no play from the bushings in the lowers etc. So some of the creak was from the fork, then the play and some more creak from the headset.

I emailed CK about a headset that will fit the Levo, and currently they do not make a complete headset that fits the dimensions of the upper bearing area of the Levo, but please send them a request, so maybe they will make one, haha! Anyway CK could also tell me that the main reason the stock FSA headset does not hold tension very well is mainly because of their upper bearing tension system - under heavy load it does not hold tension very well.

So my conclusion is that when you combine that upper assembly together with a split crown race (and poor lower bearing) it gives it even more room to play and creak in the frame. I had the same problem on my Comp Alu 2019, but the creak was not that bad, probably because of alu vs carbon frame. On the carbon it sounds like the frame is about to snap when the headset moves.

I have heard and read many of the same experiences with Levo headsets, so hopefully Specialized will address this with a better headset, OR follow proper standards so you can fit any headset like a CK, CC etc.

Anyway I will continue using the CK lower bearing and crown race, just too bad you have to buy a complete CK and only use half the set, but if it´s what it takes, then fine - no more play, no more creak! And King bearings are always superb. Also the bottom interface looks a lot better sealed in terms of water and dirt around the bearing / crown area. This is also a big problem with a split crown race.

So either change the lower bearing and crown race to another brand, or order a FSA solid crown race and test that first.

At least one of the solutions should help you out! :)

Last edited:

Trumpet

Mar 2, 2019
Stamford lincs
Hi,

I have had some serious creaking on my 2020 Expert myself. Turned out to be a bit of two things. On hard landings from big jumps etc, landing a bit front heavy I could actually feel the play from the headtube area through the handlebars while hearing the creak.

Tried with a brand new (stock) headset, tried with both just-the-right-tension on the top cap / OneUp, and over-torqued as well, and could not get rid of the play and the creak. Read here on the forums something about the split crown race not holding tension as well as a solid crown race. Seems logical since this can be somewhat demonstrated just by pressing down real hard on the bearing towards the crown. Googled and read about it, and seemed to be backed up by some other claims and personal experiences as well, but mostly it seems that a split crown race should work well on most headsets and setups. BUT as I have a Chris King headset on my Megatower paired to a Fox Factory 36 with a solid Chris King crown race I thought I would give it a try and see.

Mounted that lower CK bearing and that Factory 36 on my Levo and the play and creak is gone! At least 95% good. Can still feel a very slight play under heavy load.

Checked the 36 that was previously on my Levo and it creaked when twisting the fork legs when the bike was upside down, but no play from the bushings in the lowers etc. So some of the creak was from the fork, then the play and some more creak from the headset.

I emailed CK about a headset that will fit the Levo, and currently they do not make a complete headset that fits the dimensions of the upper bearing area of the Levo, but please send them a request, so maybe they will make one, haha! Anyway CK could also tell me that the main reason the stock FSA headset does not hold tension very well is mainly because of their upper bearing tension system - under heavy load it does not hold tension very well.

So my conclusion is that when you combine that upper assembly together with a split crown race (and poor lower bearing) it gives it even more room to play and creak in the frame. I had the same problem on my Comp Alu 2019, but the creak was not that bad, probably because of alu vs carbon frame. On the carbon it sounds like the frame is about to snap when the headset moves.

I have heard and read many of the same experiences with Levo headsets, so hopefully Specialized will address this with a better headset, OR follow proper standards so you can fit any headset like a CK, CC etc.

Anyway I will continue using the CK lower bearing and crown race, just too bad you have to buy a complete CK and only use half the set, but if it´s what it takes, then fine - no more play, no more creak! And King bearings are always superb. Also the bottom interface looks a lot better sealed in terms of water and dirt around the bearing / crown area. This is also a big problem with a split crown race.

So either change the lower bearing and crown race to another brand, or order a FSA solid crown race and test that first.

At least one of the solutions should help you out! :)

Thanks for the reply! I've ordered a new bearing set, top and bottom, from a brand everyone says is top notch. Should be for £18 for the pair. However I've got a feeling I've got a creaky crown steerer unit. I also turned the bike upside down without the wheel, pushed, pulled and twisted the lowers and it sounds like a pane of glass cracking under weight. I'll try the new bearings first, but if it continues, the forks will be off to SRAM.

Hitby

Jun 22, 2019
North Yorkshire
I know it sounds daft but I had a similar sound from my '19 comp. I was convinced it was coming from the headset - it was a bit of grit in the seatpost clamp. Push and pull the seat around and see if you can make it happen at the back of the bike. Bikescene just loosened the seat clamp and rotated the seat post a bit. Fastened it back up and it was cured.

Trumpet

Mar 2, 2019
Stamford lincs
I know it sounds daft but I had a similar sound from my '19 comp. I was convinced it was coming from the headset - it was a bit of grit in the seatpost clamp. Push and pull the seat around and see if you can make it happen at the back of the bike. Bikescene just loosened the seat clamp and rotated the seat post a bit. Fastened it back up and it was cured.

Hi. Deffo from the front end. Can feel it through the bars. I have new bearings and new forks arriving from a mate, just to start the process of elimination!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles