Has your EMTB made you fitter, or kept you as fit, as your regular MTB?

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Definitely fitter. I hadn’t ridden an mtb for around six years before purchasing the first eeb, been riding motorbikes instead, and riding motorbikes involves loads of pit stops at cafes, fish & chips & ice cream shops. Put load of weight on in those six years. The eeb has made me enjoy mtb’ing once again, almost to the point I recently considered buying a new non-e full suss, but ordered the lightweight Rise instead just to help with those climbs

KSL

Jul 10, 2021
SoCal
Seems you've forgotten about the option to make an effort to get yourself properly fit enabling faster climbing speeds, longer endurance and the ability to complete the same rides in less time at a lower intensity. When folk say they now ride further since getting an Ebike it's quite telling as It's not like Ebikes have a massive range even in eco.

Isn't it weird how so many folk feel they need to justify having an Ebike tho?

1. "enabling faster climbing speeds" (my climbing speeds are now double that of an analog) - and I ride an SL.
  2. "longer endurance" (I'm riding on avg 2x more distance than on an analog and getting a better mix of aerobic fitness - both max intensity with endurance).
  3. "ability to complete the same rides in less time at a lower intensity" (I'm now completing 2X the distance in the same timeframe, with a far better mix of training intensity mix, and about 20-50% faster speeds depending on terrain. Prior, it was one intentisty level, 100% of the time, therefore, not the best way to train and completely drained after every ride...This is no longer the case).
  4. I continue to shatter lap times, but I've now gotten to the point where I have new baseline times, so this has now moderated.
Hope this helps fill in the gaps that I probably missed explaining in detail.

The only aspect of eBike justification for me is the cost element. It's a hard pill to swallow given the pricetag on these high end bikes, but whenever I ride one, it's been putting a smile on my face every time. That's how I can justify paying so much I suppose.

Cheers!

Last edited:

mtb64

Oct 22, 2018
UK
  1. "enabling faster climbing speeds" (my climbing speeds are now double that of an analog) - and I ride an SL.
  2. "longer endurance" (I'm riding on avg 2x more distance than on an analog and getting a better mix of aerobic fitness - both max intensity with endurance).
  3. "ability to complete the same rides in less time at a lower intensity" (I'm now completing 2X the distance in the same timeframe, with a far better mix of training intensity mix, and about 20-50% faster speeds depending on terrain. Prior, it was one intentisty level, 100% of the time, therefore, not the best way to train and completely drained every ride.)
Hope this helps fill in the gaps that I probably missed explaining in detail.

The only aspect of eBike justification for me is the cost element. It's a hard pill to swallow given the pricetag on these high end bikes, but whenever I ride one, it's been putting a smile on my face every time. That's how I can justify paying so much I suppose.

Cheers!
Thanks for reply. Have you tried riding your normal bike recently and if so how has your fitness been compared to how to remember it or measured it?

KSL

Jul 10, 2021
SoCal
Ebikes have the benefit of making ‘getting fit’ excessively easy. we have the turbo or easy button option when things get hard. It’s kind of the opposite of a gym membership that people quit before their body even adapts to physical stress.

Turbo mode to me is like crack, so I try my best to stay off it, except when really needed. From what I understand turbo mode on a SL is child's play. I find powerful and can't imagine what it must feel like on a full powered bike.

KSL

Jul 10, 2021
SoCal
Thanks for reply. Have you tried riding your normal bike recently and if so how has your fitness been compared to how to remember it or measured it?

Great question. I have my new Yeti collecting dust at the moment and it's killing me not to ride. I keep meaning to take it out on a real ride again since recently gettting my ebike, but I've been having so much fun on my cheater ride that I haven't done it yet.

However, I have taken my Yeti out on the street just to feel how light it is and how immediate the acceleration is - man it feels good, real good, until you get to some elevation and things slow down quickly. This is where eBikes stand out, IMO. But yes, I've been eager to test your question to see if there's any discernible differences to note, just hasn't happened yet.

MOTO13

Sep 16, 2020
Elkhorn, Wi
I ride more now that I have my Trek rail. I ride different trails that I simply couldn't do, or didn't want to do before. I ride longer and farther. PLUS...and this is huge...I enjoy riding A LOT more. I can ride faster, which makes it a blast. It honestly amped up the riding fun by 500%. I came from a moto background, raced MX for years. Now that I'm over 50, I can ride this bike similar to an MX bike. I may not be fitter, but I sure as hell have a friggin great time every time I ride.

thbo

Jun 30, 2020
Norway
Definitely fitter. Because I ride much much more because of how fun it is. Lost 15kg this year only emtb-ing. Haven’t been as fit since my 20s (I’m 45).

New rides to more difficult terrain also includes carrying your 25kg bike over unjumpable obstacles ..

Assist mode is down to 20% typical for range and resistance, with 50% when the singletrack demands it. Very seldom 100%, and then just for short kicks.

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
If you mean “fit for purpose” as per the body ability to attend the desires of the mind, then yes the ebike made me much fitter than I was before.

mtb64

Oct 22, 2018
UK
Definitely fitter. Because I ride much much more because of how fun it is. Lost 15kg this year only emtb-ing. Haven’t been as fit since my 20s (I’m 45).

New rides to more difficult terrain also includes carrying your 25kg bike over unjumpable obstacles ..

Assist mode is down to 20% typical for range and resistance, with 50% when the singletrack demands it. Very seldom 100%, and then just for short kicks.
Do you know how much fitter you are compared to when you last rode a regular bike?

mtb64

Oct 22, 2018
UK
If you mean “fit for purpose” as per the body ability to attend the desires of the mind, then yes the ebike made me much fitter than I was before.
I mean mostly cardio-vascular fitness, leg strength, endurance and recovery time

mtb64

Oct 22, 2018
UK
Great question. I have my new Yeti collecting dust at the moment and it's killing me not to ride. I keep meaning to take it out on a real ride again since recently gettting my ebike, but I've been having so much fun on my cheater ride that I haven't done it yet.

However, I have taken my Yeti out on the street just to feel how light it is and how immediate the acceleration is - man it feels good, real good, until you get to some elevation and things slow down quickly. This is where eBikes stand out, IMO. But yes, I've been eager to test your question to see if there's any discernible differences to note, just hasn't happened yet.
Thanks. I’ll be interested to know how your observations when you do

• Helpful
Reactions: KSL

B1rdie

Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
I mean mostly cardio-vascular fitness, leg strength, endurance and recovery time
Then yes, in these four aspects the ebike has made more fit, but consider, I keep riding bikes on week days and ebike on the weekends, and my rides are more like XC than DH.
While riding the ebike I feel like working less with the legs and abusing a lot with the upper body muscles and all joints, so I try to focus my ebike rides more on climbing thecnical stuff than on reaching to the DH trailheads.

Last edited:

KSL

Jul 10, 2021
SoCal
I have views on someone claiming to be in their 50's simultaneously describing ebikes as 'cheater rides'.
Yeah idk. I see it as the full power of a fit man pedaling on the SL in turbo mode. It’s what like 220 watts or something? I think it’s perfectly powerful. I really have to be in a hurry, lazy or chasing some hot babe to need my turbo on the SL. Or maybe drunk, yeah I mostly use it when I’m drunk.

I really only use turbo mode on 20+ grades, otherwise it's trail or eco mode.

j3ayy

Oct 10, 2020
North Yorkshire
I ride much more nowadays since i purchased my EBike & wrestling the 25kg down bumpy trails seems to have given me more strength in my arms & shoulders ?? Yes & enjoying cycling again, NOT dreading the hills ?

RustyIron

Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
The other camp are the lazy fucks that want all the power they can get and don't mind the bulk.

Bwahahahaha!
Riding an ebike clearly diminishes one's ability to apply filters to ones thoughts before sharing them! Personally, despite agreeing, I'm not brave enough to say such a thing on an eMTB forum. ?

I've found that when riding the eMTB, I need to make a conscious effort to NOT ride Amish Style. For me, that means dropping it on the smallest cog my legs can tolerate, then pedaling up until the point where my lungs feel like they're going to explode. On the eMTB, that style drains the battery and beats up the bike more quickly. With that in mind, it's just not sensible to get as good a workout on the eMTB. That's why I'll keep riding both types of bike--besides both providing different types of fun.

MartyO

Mar 24, 2021
Oceanside, CA
Nope. I try to ride my regular bike once a week to help maintain my fitness. I find on my regular bike, that I can no longer make it up my big uphills without taking a break since I no longer ride my regular bike three days a week.

That said, I ride farther each ride on my e-bike, I believe my riding skills are improved, and I incorporate crazy steep and technical hill climbs into my e-bike rides. I am amazed at what I can ride and how much fun I have doing it. I have also had my fastest segment times on my toughest downhills on my Powerplay.

MOTO13

Sep 16, 2020
Elkhorn, Wi
After owning an EMTB for almost a year...I just scratch my head as to why they even make regular mountain bikes any more...lol.

I personally would never want a non-ebike ever again. It would be like dating a sex starved super model who wanted to do me anytime and having her drop dead...and then being forced to go out with Ernest Borgnine. Ummmm, ain't happenin homey.

gareth burton

Jul 27, 2020
S. Wales UK
Fitter for me. Lower back and knee problems would leave me needing to lie prone for an hour or so after a 15 mile ride on the analogue to stop my back spasms. I can go as far as the range allows on the e160 (longest so far 45 miles) and am getting out 2-3 times a week for 20 -30 mile rides. 10 Kilos lighter too so far.

DtEW

Dec 8, 2020
Bay Area, California
Having an eMTB has definitely not made me fitter for riding an MTB than just riding an MTB. But being fitter for riding an MTB has never made me fitter for any other outdoors/outdoors-derived* pursuit that I do... or even plain-old running! (Maybe a little for road riding, but not nearly as much as one would hope given what seems like a large overlap in the Venn diagram. It did make me pretty awesome on the leg press machine... yay?) So I decided a long time ago (way before the advent of the eMTB) that it was neither much of a bragging right, nor something that was particularly useful for anything than establishing your place in the pecking order among other MTBers. Yeah, I'll maintain it for general competence on a MTB... but I will no longer pursue it as I did when I was younger.

* eg. indoor rock climbing

Last edited:

flash

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
My own selfish view is that I don't give a rats arse about *getting fit*. Never have. Never will. I despise gyms and training. My ex wife loves the pain. When we have coffee it's about how she's pushed herself to near breaking point on her last half marathon. I get it but it's not my thing. I like to participate but I have little desire to compete. I did that when I was younger. No more, thanks.

So as someone who likes *being fit* but not getting fit, I have to get there by stealth. That means doing things I love and getting fitness as a by product. So I'd never kill myself on an acoustic because it'll get me fit. I've ridden tens of thousands of hills and hated every one of them.

Fortunately I love being active. Swimming, surfing, skiing, diving and riding a bike. So I'm naturally fitter than a lot of people I know, even those that try to *get fit*. Not being a big drinker helps. I like to push myself but I hate suffering. I get off the bike exhilarated, not exhausted.

In short, yes, my eBike contributes to my fitness. I wouldn't ride if I had to suffer every time. And I still like to push myself. I just don't red zone on the big hills any more. Zone 4 rather than zone 5. Each to their own.

Lockdown isn't helping though........

Gordon

wagonrd

Dec 22, 2020
Roseville, CA
Does anyone have actual comparative data of regular MTB rides before and after EMTB purchase / prolonged use?
I have both, a Specialized Levo Turbo Comp and a Trek Remedy 8. The Trek is for technical trails like The Flume Trail at Lake Tahoe where a 50 lb ebike would be difficult to handle on the narrow trail carved into steep mountains. The Trek also forces me to work harder on long uphills, thereby keeping my legs and lungs in tune. I love my Specialized ebike on Forest Service roads and the many long upmountain paved roads like the Whitney challenge in Bishop, Ca.

TonTonUB

May 27, 2020
France
Hello,

there is something none tells you.
But when you ride an e-bike, you can enjoy it even if you already have all your sport of the week / physical training done (fitness, gym, swimming, etc). It transform the e-bike into a recovery tool.

I have numerous gym sessions per week. Riding an ebike allow me to ride 2 to 3 times / week as a bonus, and helps me to recover from gym.

And despite all sports i was practicing before, riding an Ebike has made me sharper / fitter. It's a win-win scenario.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
I have both, a Specialized Levo Turbo Comp and a Trek Remedy 8. The Trek is for technical trails like The Flume Trail at Lake Tahoe where a 50 lb ebike would be difficult to handle on the narrow trail carved into steep mountains. The Trek also forces me to work harder on long uphills, thereby keeping my legs and lungs in tune. I love my Specialized ebike on Forest Service roads and the many long upmountain paved roads like the Whitney challenge in Bishop, Ca.
What a waste ..are you really saying you cant ride your ebike on technical singletrack ?

fenwick458

Oct 6, 2020
Cumbria
What a waste ..are you really saying you cant ride your ebike on technical singletrack ?

When I read it I thought that the flume trail was some gnarly steep descent like a world cup track and gave them the benefit of the doubt, but after googling it it seems not...

"Q:How difficult is the Flume Trail?

Image result for the flume trail lake tahoe

The Flume Trail Mountain Bike Ride is a moderately difficult one way 14 mile ride at 7000′ to 8100′ feet in elevation with over a 1000′ of climbing in the first four miles and 4.5 miles of single track. The Flume Trail itself traverses above several steep sections, so those afraid of heights be forewarned."

RustyIron

Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California

When I read it I thought that the flume trail was some gnarly steep descent like a world cup track and gave them the benefit of the doubt, but after googling it it seems not...

Why are the Mean Girls picking on the old guy?

fenwick458

Oct 6, 2020
Cumbria
I'm not one that should be calling people out for their inabilities on a bike based on the fact that I'm no pro myself, but really if you can ride a trail like that on an MTB, I can't see a good reason why you shouldn't be able to ride it on an E-MTB

7869hodgy

Jul 15, 2020
Reading
I ride further for longer but I do think my fitness has suffered a bit. But I have way more fun....if I carry a couple of extra kilos but I enjoy it more.....I am good.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles