Levo Gen 3 Has anyone tried this rear mudguard for the Gen3 Turbo Levo?

RM.SGO

Apr 25, 2020
Danville, CA
I ran one of Will’s units on my 2019 Levo. Is is a simple design but once installed and adjusted it was a really well thought out piece. Likely to pick one up for my new Gen 3.

jlwoody

Dec 18, 2022
Edinburgh
I’ve tried every type of fender, and nothing worked as well as the mudhuggers — they are both sturdy & long enough to stop gravel in my eyes, and mud on my back!

I’ve been using the mudhuggers on both my 2014 Stumpy, and my gravel bike, as they now make a gravel variant for upto 50mm tyres!! ✅

I also bought 2 extra front huggers, and trimmed them to make full protection around the chain & rear stays — especially to protect the FSR bearings!! I just bought a new Levo Comp 2022, and I noticed that they’ve re-designed new rear Huggers WITH an attachment to do just that — protect the chain & bearings. Very cool. Along with the easy on/off straps which are another nice touch.

Get ‘em! You’ll be happy you did!

Last edited:

Dpickin1

Oct 2, 2019
Israel
It looks like it could get crushed by the linkage, but I wanted to ask if anyone has tried it. Looks to have good reviews on eBay.

Central Coast Bikes Gen 3 Turbo Levo

View attachment 102976
I have one of these albeit it is much shorter. I have been very happy with the fender but most definitely do not ride in the muddy wet conditions that those in the UK are brave enough to slog through.

20220802_164434.jpg

sp00n

Jul 11, 2021
Germany
I just couldn't get myself to use such a long mud guard in the back yet.
The "problem" is that these are the *only* ones that will effectively protect your back from mud, all the other ones will only (somewhat) work for the shock and the linkages. The mud flings off at around the highest point of the wheel, so anything not covering this area will simply do nothing for the rider sitting on the bike.

I'm using the FRX Mudhugger, which also only protects the linkages, and it stops basically where the dropper post starts.
I didn't really need to cut it down, I only removed a small section where the chain is running, similar to what can be seen on @jlwoody image (are you using two different mud huggers in the back?).
One thing I noticed is that the material can crack in cold temperatures (minus °C), something to keep in mind. But that's also true for my front Crud XL Fender.

jlwoody

Dec 18, 2022
Edinburgh
Yes @sp00n this is the older model, so I have cut down a front hugger to protect the chain & bearings. The new model has a new integrated piece. I've been riding in cold temps, and haven't had any cracks ... yet! :)

milkandrelish

Nov 29, 2022
Arcata, CA
Hey all, I ended up getting the RRP ProGuard Bolt-On Mudguard (Standard) for the front and the SKS Mudrocker Rear Fender for the rear. I haven't taken them out on a ride yet, but it looks like coverage and quality is good and fit is solid.

PXL_20221227_204534702_2.jpg

ironmanalishi

Dec 28, 2021
South Wales uk
Stu, it's not "home made" and is our 3rd rear mudguard released in the past 4 years. Our first was for the 2nd Generation 2019-2021 Levos. The second was for the SL's with the mudflap thingy from the factory and our latest is the 2022-2023 for the Levo.
We've sold over 2,000 of them with many good and photos from 30 different countries.
Hi….Got a link,for a 2022 model,gen 3 levo comp please,?

Will Hesch

Dec 3, 2019
Hi….Got a link,for a 2022 model,gen 3 levo comp please,?

tjl5709

Feb 20, 2023
Michigan
Did you do any "cutting" to make it fit? Durable enough?
I just mounted one on my expert. I did 2 mods. 1 was you need to shave down around the bottom right corner where the top chain return feeds back to the crank. When you shift to the top gear, it will rub. Being anal-retentive, I also punched 2 mount holes at the top where the fender touches the cross brace. Its was easy and just gives alittle more support. I was surprised at how well it fit and mounted. It does not move. I can take pic's if you want.

jlwoody

Dec 18, 2022
Edinburgh
I got the upgraded version for the Levo Turbo 2022, as the older version wasn’t long enough (since the Levo geometry has changed.)

Great set up. Liking the straps too, over the zip ties.

Mike O

Jan 27, 2024
Arkansas
I’ve tried every type of fender, and nothing worked as well as the mudhuggers — they are both sturdy & long enough to stop gravel in my eyes, and mud on my back!

I’ve been using the mudhuggers on both my 2014 Stumpy, and my gravel bike, as they now make a gravel variant for upto 50mm tyres!! ✅

I also bought 2 extra front huggers, and trimmed them to make full protection around the chain & rear stays — especially to protect the FSR bearings!! I just bought a new Levo Comp 2022, and I noticed that they’ve re-designed new rear Huggers WITH an attachment to do just that — protect the chain & bearings. Very cool. Along with the easy on/off straps which are another nice touch.

Get ‘em! You’ll be happy you did!

I've got a Levo Comp Alloy 3rd gen. Mudhugger says to buy different versions based on seat stay angel - which I've been unable to find a spec for. Does the large fit nicely on your gen 3? Thanks!

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
for all year round use the best option is the Mudhugger front mudguard (FRX) , fitted to the back....slightly modified as required.

For maximum protection in the winter there is the new rear Mudhugger. If seat stay angle is 34-27 degrees use the medium size........if 28-22 degrees use the large.

how to use the FRX

BikeBert

Dec 10, 2022
Croatia

I have tried this mudguard and unfortunately cannot recommend it - see my short review here.​

Shop 1 (4).jpg
Shop 6 (2).jpg
Shop 4 (2).jpg
Montage 1.jpg

Last edited:

veryoldfart

Oct 1, 2020
Suffolk
Maybe because I am old, I just hate getting a wet a**e, so I use the following combination.

The Scicon-mtb guard that stops everything getting over/near the motor etc is permanently fitted to my S Works Gen 3 Levo ( & my wifes, as well). It works , as several have said, so don't try and re-invent it.

But in the UK in autumn, winter & early spring, when its both wet and muddy, I also add (OVER the Scicom , but a very tight fit-it fits) the SKS mudguard shown here- (its easily demountable/removable) as an extra to keep my bum, saddle, backpack clean. Of course, nothing will stop some stuff spraying-up, but its much better than without it and IMO just as good as a mudhugger , which I used before. Occasionally, when cleaning the bike, point a non powerjet hose under the SKS guard to clean in between that and the Scicom.

BikeBert

Dec 10, 2022
Croatia
I'd like to share my feedback and concerns regarding the mudguard produced by the German company, Lieb Speed aka V4-Facory. Upon receiving the mudguard, I noticed that it seems to be slightly short in the bottom bracket area, as depicted in the attached photo. I had expected it to offer more coverage and overlap with Levo's built-in rubber protector.

2024-02-13-16-14-48-803.jpg

Lieb Speed mudguard runs pretty short on L4 size Levo​

Regrettably, the photos on their website lack detail in the bottom bracket area, making it difficult for potential buyer to assess the length of the mudguard beforehand. Furthermore, I observed that the edges of the mudguard are sharp and unfinished, featuring a corrugated texture (see photos below). As a consumer, I anticipated a higher level of finish and overall quality.

While I understand that producing high-quality products involves various considerations, and I appreciate the effort put into developing accessories for specialized (pun intended) equipment like the Gen. 3 Levo, I believe there may be room for improvement in the design and manufacturing process of this particular mudguard.

I reached out to the company about my concerns but received no response whatsoever. This lack of after-sale care reflects poorly on their customer service.

I must express my dissatisfaction and disappointment with the product I received. As a perfectionist, I hold my purchases to the highest standards and had hoped for an exceptional experience with this product.

Consequently, I switched to the mudguard from SicoMTB Products, which offers a longer mudguard, providing better coverage and protection. The SicoMTB mudguard is also thicker, more rigid, and sturdier after installation. It appears to be better engineered and thought out. I will provide a more detailed review after putting some miles on the bike.

Here are some comparison photos between Lieb Speed and SicoMTB mudguards:

2024-02-28-09-17-44-171.jpg

SicoMTB vs. Lieb Speed​

2024-02-28-09-18-37-323.jpg

sharp and unfinished edge of Lieb Speed mudguard​

2024-02-28-09-19-32-097.jpg

nicely finished edge of SicoMTB mudguard​

2024-02-28-09-20-22-819.jpg

Thickness of Lieb Speed mudguard - 1.50 mm​

2024-02-28-09-20-36-368.jpg

Thickness of SicoMTB mudguard - 2.42 mm​

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles