Has anyone mixed resin and metal brake pads on their ebike?

Almashdi

Mar 12, 2019
Ontario
Hello,
I need to replaced my resin brake pads that came with my ebike. Has anyone mixed resin and metal pads? The idea is that since the inner brake pad typically wears quicker than the outer, you run a metal brake pad on the inside and resin on the outside. This allows riders to reap benefits of both the materials while minimizing drawbacks.
I am planning to do this so if anyone has done it before, please share your experience.
I will be using Shimano D01S (resin) and D02S metal on my BR-MT520 brakes.
Al

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I wouldn't bother. (Yes. I've tried different compounds on each side)
Two identical pads rarely wear at different rates. and when they do it's usually down to a sticky piston.
Two different compound pads DO wear at different rates.

The idea behind different compounds inner and outer comes from how the different braking compounds deal with heat. it's a racer thing. and those guys don't wear pads down to the backing plate.

If you ride a lot of sustained descents or in poor (wet) conditions just use sintered on both sides

oldmanmx

Jan 19, 2020
Camden NSW
I wouldn't even mix different brands of brake pads. I've seen where people have mixed pads on dirt bikes an the problem is that all pad compounds have different operating and slide temperatures which would cause one side of the disc to get hotter than the other. What will happen especially on discs as thin as those on MTBs is that they wiil cup out and you finnish up with a disc that will probably only be useful as fruit bowl.:(

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Semi metalic pads were awful in my (limited) experience.
Bought 4 pairs by mistake once (Uberbike) and found they had shit stopping power compared to sintered so meant I had to brake way more and because of this they'd glaze on long steep (alpine) descents.
Pretty much the opposite of "best of both worlds"
Went through all 4 sets with the same issues. and swapped back to sintered with no issues at all. Never used semi metalics ever again so don't know if this is the case with all semi metalic compounds or just Uberbike's

04fuxake

Feb 12, 2018
Porirua, NZ
I found semis were better than resins on my normal bike but, to be fair, my usage was mostly commuting.

Interestingly, SickBiker did a comparison of resin, kevlar, ceramic, metallic, and semi-metallic here:

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles