Hardtail e-MTB reviews - where are they?

BelgianTriple

Aug 20, 2019
Belgium
Why are there so little e-MTB reviews?
90% of the reviews is about full suspensions e-mtb. And mostly top-spec.
I'm hesitating to go from hardtail e-MTB - Giant Fathom E+3 POwer 29er hardtail - to a Commencal Meta Power 29 Race but not completely convinced of the advantages of a fully in the region I live (no Alps ;-), no major bike parks; just some trails, fields and single tracks).
In the search for pro's and cons I've noticed there are really few e-MTB hardtail reviews out there. Why?

And second question, shoud I go to a fully ?

Jamy

Sep 24, 2019
rotherham
I just bought a Cube SL2020 Hardtail. My budget wasn't an issue, I just found it hard to justify spending the extra cash on equipment that I did'nt really need. You can buy an high end hardtail for the same price as a entry level FSB
The bike is used every day for commuting to and from work and the odd weekend on trails, canal paths and fire roads. I certainly won't be jumping and don't even know how to pull a wheelie.
Not to mention the extra maintenance required for full sus.
CUBE Reaction Hybrid SL 625 29 grey´n´orange 2020
Your correct about the lack of reviews it was impossible to find any reviews on 2019 hardtails, never mind 2020 bikes

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Only roads and fire tracks for me and I like an uncomplicated life. Simple Cube hardtail is all I need.

F1296056-9ABB-45A8-95F3-941D690D06AB.jpeg

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Why are there so little e-MTB reviews?
90% of the reviews is about full suspensions e-mtb. And mostly top-spec.
Probably because unlike normal hardtails they're all pretty... meh...

And second question, shoud I go to a fully ?
Definitely!

not completely convinced of the advantages of a fully in the region I live (no Alps ;-), no major bike parks; just some trails, fields and single tracks).
In the search for pro's and cons I've noticed there are really few e-MTB hardtail reviews out there. Why?

I've now ridden quite a few Emtbs, HT and FS. IMO Most E HTs are pretty much as heavy as FS Emtbs. and because of this they handle like a sack of tatties. suspension allows you to load the bike dynamically and allow it to handle far more like a normal bike. I'm kinda picky and don't actually like many Emtbs at all. but I've never ridden a single hardtail Emtb I've genuinely liked.
I had a HT Emtb to compliment my FS Emtb (same one as R120 but a size M) and hated riding it other than commuting. and even then the FS Emtb with slick tyres is nicer to ride/more fun to commute with.

Disclaimer. I absolutely LOVE riding normal hardtails. Mainly light little (half the weight of an Emtb HT) jump/4X bikes though. so want a HT to be poppy and responsive. at 50lb. that's simply never going to happen.

Last edited:

Baker

Jun 11, 2019
Hayling Island
Regarding weights, my Spesh HT weighs 18kg, most full sussers are 23kg. I only paid £1600 for the bike, then £600 upgrading everything but the frame so bargain. I use my bike everyday, trails, enduro, pump tracks, riding around town you name it. It gets air fine and the 150mm travel more than absorbs heavy hits.

Could I ride faster on a full susser down a rooty red trail, probably but that's gonna cost me another £3000 on top to find out and if I'm already getting max fun out of the hardtail, why change. I'm actually considering changing bikes for another hardtail as I'd prefer to run a 27.5 wheel and have a shorter cockpit.

IMG_20190906_192357.jpg

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Cool!

TBF I personally wouldn't want any 23kg bike at all.
my ESommet is 21kg
it cost £3k
The only "upgrades" it got were a set of faster rolling, lighter tyres (tubeless) and my saddle/grips of choice.

18kg is a really decent weight for an eeb but it's still 15lb heavier than the equivalent non motorised hardtail. and that extra weight is the main reason they feel so dead to me when riding them.

How do you genuinely find it on a pumptrack in comparison to a DJ/4X bike or BMX?

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
Maybe because I started riding m t b's before FS was figured out properly, or even front suspension for that matter, I still prefer one to FS. And yes I have owned FS bikes, albeit never an e one. If there was a manufactured hardtail that met my criteria I would buy one in a heartbeat. In the meantime I'll continue on with my métisse.

I ride big black Doug Fir roots all the time, it is just a matter of tire pressure, crank timing and getting your ass out of the saddle. Not the fastest downhill by far but I have had too many broken collar bones and torn rotator cuffs to care about speed anymore.

IMG_2338.JPG

Baker

Jun 11, 2019
Hayling Island
how do you genuinely find it on a pumptrack in comparison to a DJ/4X bike or BMX?
Never ridden any other bike on a pump track tbh but on a flowy hard surfaced, man made trails it excels. I had a Kona process before the eeb and I can go much faster and harder on the Levo HT. I'll never say never with a full suss eeb but the two bikes I tried (Canyon & Scott) didn't give me anymore confidence and at 65kg I could really feel the extra weight they had.

andyb2

Jan 10, 2020
somerset
I wasn't sure if I should post this here, or start a new thread.

I live on the Quantocks Hills and used to ride an old rigid 26" kona fire mountain when I lived at the top ofthe hill.

Since I moved to a village at the bottom of the hill (and got older and fatter), I can't face the long uphill ride to get up to the top, and haven't ridden at all for a few years now.

My brother-in-law recently got Rockrider E-ST 900 and has been bugging me to get an emtb, so I've been waiting to see what came up in the sales. however, the new Decathlon Stilus has caught my eye (although it's more that I had originally intended to spend)

Perceived wisdom has been that hardtails were easier to go uphill that full suspension, is this still the case when powered?

I'll be doing pretty much 100% of my riding on the Quantocks, so a lot of climbs and descents, but I'm too old to be doing anything too extreme.

Is it worth the extra for full suspension?

Baker

Jun 11, 2019
Hayling Island
On the basis a hardtail is going to cost you £2000 min. I don't think you could go wrong with the new offering (Stilus) from decathlon. Even at £2000-£2500 most the hardtails are going to come with subpar parts and that bike seems to be a bit of a emtb snob killer.

Just depends on what you prefer riding.

galaga187

E*POWAH Master
Apr 15, 2018
Wroughton
I wasn't sure if I should post this here, or start a new thread.

I live on the Quantocks Hills and used to ride an old rigid 26" kona fire mountain when I lived at the top ofthe hill.

Since I moved to a village at the bottom of the hill (and got older and fatter), I can't face the long uphill ride to get up to the top, and haven't ridden at all for a few years now.

My brother-in-law recently got Rockrider E-ST 900 and has been bugging me to get an emtb, so I've been waiting to see what came up in the sales. however, the new Decathlon Stilus has caught my eye (although it's more that I had originally intended to spend)

Perceived wisdom has been that hardtails were easier to go uphill that full suspension, is this still the case when powered?

I'll be doing pretty much 100% of my riding on the Quantocks, so a lot of climbs and descents, but I'm too old to be doing anything too extreme.

Is it worth the extra for full suspension?
The old pedal bob is less of an issue with the motor taking up the strain. I’ve never felt the need to lock out my full sus suspension.
If only getting one bike I’d say go full suss first or at least get one on demo from Rutland cycles for the weekend.
I got my HT for commuting and to ride easier trails that are local. If I was having a day out in Quantocks I’d come on my full sus.

Baker

Jun 11, 2019
Hayling Island
Commencal do a Hard Tail model of their Meta Power. There's a MAXMAX POWER 2019 (EUR 2,599) and a META HT POWER ESSENTIAL 650B+ 2017 (EUR 2,499)
on their website. Look in the 18/19 section.

Oh, and I just noticed they have a couple of new 2020 HTs in the Meta Power 27 section too.
The older max max was good as it had a 150 Reba shock, now they've put a subpar recon on it. Great bike except for the bolt on battery. Hopefully they'll change that for 2021. Not sure what the difference is between it and the Meta HT?

Last edited:

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
I almost bought the Rocky Mountain HT, look at it.
There is no dealer near me so i am happy on my Giant/Yamaha Stance E+.
130 front/120 rear great price for a reliable Ebike.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles