Handlebar recommendation, for LEVO Comp, just need a bit more back sweep

713Fmhs

Oct 30, 2023
Stock Levo bars are 30 mm rise, 6 degree upsweep, 8 degree back sweep, 35mm bore and 780mm wide. I can pretty much live with all the stock specs, (maybe a touch more rise but the stock 30 mm is not a deal breaker) but I'd really like to try something with maybe a 12 degree back sweep.

Any suggestions on bars that will get me more than 8 degree BS with a 35mm bore?

Thanks.

Hattori-Hanzo

Apr 10, 2023
UK
Sqlabs are your only option if you want 12deg back sweep, but they only come in 31.8, so you'd need a new stem or a spacer to use your current stem.

I did find a 10deg sweep back bar but I can't remember what make it was off the top of my head, I'll have a proper look later.

713Fmhs

Oct 30, 2023
Sqlabs are your only option if you want 12deg back sweep, but they only come in 31.8, so you'd need a new stem or a spacer to use your current stem.

I did find a 10deg sweep back bar but I can't remember what make it was off the top of my head, I'll have a proper look later.
Yeah my research said the same thing so I bought a SQ 30x12 in 31.8 clamp size and the SQ shims to install it. Not a big fan of having to use the shims but I think it will be OK. Thanks.

Gavalar

Feb 4, 2019
UK
Stock Levo bars are 30 mm rise, 6 degree upsweep, 8 degree back sweep, 35mm bore and 780mm wide. I can pretty much live with all the stock specs, (maybe a touch more rise but the stock 30 mm is not a deal breaker) but I'd really like to try something with maybe a 12 degree back sweep.

Any suggestions on bars that will get me more than 8 degree BS with a 35mm bore?

Thanks.
PNW Loam Bar

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
I got some ErgoTec low rise bars off Amazon for £37 - 12 deg backsweep. They seem to have options for 35mm too:
Thanks, I have some 60mm riser Spank 35mm bars coming today, modest 9 deg backsweep. I noticed a lot of these backswept bars sweep forward first and if you rotate them back then the back sweep drops too low. And I think to avoid twitchy behavior you want the line running from grip to grip to be forward of the fork rotation point by 1/2 to 1". I think that's why some of the large sweep bars also sweep forward a bunch to control the twitchy behavior you might get otherwise. I also found the KYOTE makes a large swept bar and 35mm diameter too but has a large forward sweep like others. I have 40mm rise and at first ordered an inexpensive 80mm rise but I think that's a bit too much and then found the Spank 60mm and 35mm diameter bar on sale so I'll be trying that out tomorrow as it should be here today.

Last edited:

Mrj35

Sep 29, 2023
canada
Thanks, I have some 60mm riser Spank 35mm bars coming today, modest 9 deg backsweep. I noticed a lot of these backswept bars sweep forward first and if you rotate them back then the back sweep drops too low. And I think to avoid twitchy behavior you want the line running from grip to grip to be forward of the fork rotation point by 1/2 to 1". I think that's why some of the large sweep bars also sweep forward a bunch to control the twitchy behavior you might get otherwise. I also found the KYOTE makes a large swept bar and 35mm diameter too but has a large forward sweep like others. I have 40mm rise and at first ordered an inexpensive 80mm rise but I think that's a bit too much and then found the Spank 60mm and 35mm diameter bar on sale so I'll be trying that out tomorrow as it should be here today.
I run the spank spike 35 with 40mm rise. Its a great bar, good dampening and stuff. You want a sort of neutral position with the bars.

I have it at 820mm right now but I might cut it to 800mm width. I've just been testing the 820mm width the last few months. It feels great but I just wonder how good it is for shoulder longevity although I've never noticed anything. I have wide shoulders tho and im 6'3. On some tight tree sections I do need to weave a bit more carefully but besides that its super stable.

One thing I noticed is I think I actually just run my hands in closer on the bar so probably right where 800mm would be if my hands were right at the ends of the bar.

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
I run the spank spike 35 with 40mm rise. Its a great bar, good dampening and stuff. You want a sort of neutral position with the bars.

I have it at 820mm right now but I might cut it to 800mm width. I've just been testing the 820mm width the last few months. It feels great but I just wonder how good it is for shoulder longevity although I've never noticed anything. I have wide shoulders tho and im 6'3. On some tight tree sections I do need to weave a bit more carefully but besides that its super stable.

One thing I noticed is I think I actually just run my hands in closer on the bar so probably right where 800mm would be if my hands were right at the ends of the bar.
So I'm the opposite, narrow shoulders and only 5'7". And with my collar bone injury 5 years ago even more narrow on one side, lol. I think a lot of us go overboard on bar width. I had mine at about 760mm and someone that was following me said I looked spread out too much. And research on this led me to believe something as narrow as 720mm would actually be better for me. And I ride lots of tight trails where you can easily grab a branch and get pitched off the bike. 720mm feels more controllable and less fatigue and lets me get slightly more upright too. But to each their own and some riding styles might benefit from wider bars.

Mrj35

Sep 29, 2023
canada
So I'm the opposite, narrow shoulders and only 5'7". And with my collar bone injury 5 years ago even more narrow on one side, lol. I think a lot of us go overboard on bar width. I had mine at about 760mm and someone that was following me said I looked spread out too much. And research on this led me to believe something as narrow as 720mm would actually be better for me. And I ride lots of tight trails where you can easily grab a branch and get pitched off the bike. 720mm feels more controllable and less fatigue and lets me get slightly more upright too. But to each their own and some riding styles might benefit from wider bars.
Yeah if 720mm feels better run that. When I got back into riding in 2014 I was running an old bike with 600mm bars. lol I was still faster than everyone I was riding with 😅 I tell lots of people that are smaller in stature to run narrower bars because you could mess up your shoulders and it puts you in an unstable body position if its too wide.

Id say don't let the market makers influence your decision, just run what feels great and optimal for you.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles