Hamsterley Forest ..Friday 4th March '22.

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
I was going to bring a couple of sets of skis too! Disappointed now! 😁

Over here we use full wet suits this time of year usually. With that forecast it will just be waterproofs as a backup and t-shirt and shorts.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Fair to say that should you not fancy it due to the weather conditions then please let us know by Friday...just so we are not hanging around waiting on the day .
Similarly if you are coming please confirm on Friday ..
According to the Met Office App its taken another turn for the worse 🙃..

Whitby Chris

Subscriber
Jul 13, 2021
Whitby
Nope ...I'm not too familiar with the off piste stuff..although there is lots of it ..and I'm told its possible to ride all day without touching the " official" trails..
The beauty of Hamsterley is that its never to far to return to the start of a favourite section ..which we will probably do on some bits ..
What I'm really chuffed about is having an ebike to ride up that bastard hill to the start of section13 ..you also get to see the downhill nutters flying down as you are climbing up..on Danny Harts section ..if anyone is feeling brave enough I will wait for them at the top !
I did that hill twice on Saturday, once to get up to section 13 down Brain freeze etc and another I turned right at the shed to do a route of the red to go the long way around to get to the top for Ponty's and down. The red which I hit from the shed had a few nice little technical bits in. All I can say is....... thank god I now have a Ebike

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Fair to say that should you not fancy it due to the weather conditions then please let us know by Friday...just so we are not hanging around waiting on the day .
Similarly if you are coming please confirm on Friday ..
According to the Met Office App its taken another turn for the worse 🙃..

We’re still coming whatever the weather decides to throw at us

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
Screenshot_20211125-051409_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
Please refer to the map above ..but my thoughts regarding the route on Saturday ..
I would prefer to sacrifice a lot of the red route in favour of tackling the "best bits" more than once ..so all of that fire road stuff from half way down Decend to get to Poultys ..forget it !
The intention is to head out on the Black route ..which isn't as scary as it might sound..I do know one bit of off piste leading off it which we can discuss when we get there.
Root 666..is rooty ( very) and open ( no tree cover) so could be more of a challenge if it's as windy as the forecast ( 50mph )
2x goes at Odd Sox ( big bermy section)
From there I know a short cut which involves a tecchy climb ( which I rarely clear) to get to Poultys ..the intention is to ride this section at least a couple of times as far as the end of Accelerator..and when we have tired of it then include Nitrous on the last run ..from here on to Section 13 up the twat of a climb from The Grove ..twice on this section but the good news is that on the second run we use a forest road to get back to the hut half way up the climb from The Grove ..and only have to climb the top bit to get back to the start of S13 ..this time completing the run ..Brain Freeze etc back towards the main car park .
If time permits and there is still enough in the tank ..both yours & the bikes we can warm down on a trip along the Forest Drive..to pick up The Grove link which is a nice non tech trip back through the trees ..
I know the weather will play a factor in this .."all the best laid plans n that" ..but nothing is set in stone ..
See you there !

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Please refer to the map above ..but my thoughts regarding the route on Saturday ..
I would prefer to sacrifice a lot of the red route in favour of tackling the "best bits" more than once ..so all of that fire road stuff from half way down Decend to get to Poultys ..forget it !
The intention is to head out on the Black route ..which isn't as scary as it might sound..I do know one bit of off piste leading off it which we can discuss when we get there.
Root 666..is rooty ( very) and open ( no tree cover) so could be more of a challenge if it's as windy as the forecast ( 50mph )
2x goes at Odd Sox ( big bermy section)
From there I know a short cut which involves a tecchy climb ( which I rarely clear) to get to Poultys ..the intention is to ride this section at least a couple of times as far as the end of Accelerator..and when we have tired of it then include Nitrous on the last run ..from here on to Section 13 up the twat of a climb from The Grove ..twice on this section but the good news is that on the second run we use a forest road to get back to the hut half way up the climb from The Grove ..and only have to climb the top bit to get back to the start of S13 ..this time completing the run ..Brain Freeze etc back towards the main car park .
If time permits and there is still enough in the tank ..both yours & the bikes we can warm down on a trip along the Forest Drive..to pick up The Grove link which is a nice non tech trip back through the trees ..
I know the weather will play a factor in this .."all the best laid plans n that" ..but nothing is set in stone ..
See you there !

Sounds great Hodge and agree, sod the whole red and focus on the best bits. Odd sox is fun too. Don’t know your shortcut to Poltys so looking forward to tackling that 👊🏻

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
Hell...I wish I had a crystal ball !
The forecast for Hamsterley has changed again ..its now heavy snow overnight ( tonight ) with 50mph wind and light snow tomorrow..but with the strong wind continuing ..nightmare in terms of advising what to do !

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
Hell...I wish I had a crystal ball !
The forecast for Hamsterley has changed again ..its now heavy snow overnight ( tonight ) with 50mph wind and light snow tomorrow..but with the strong wind continuing ..nightmare in terms of advising what to do !
I've just watched the Met Office's forecast and it isn't looking good at all for the NE/E of England plus I've got to try and actually get there.

We might just have to postpone because of Storm Arwen!

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
I wish I had a contact down that neck of the woods to call this evening as that's when it's supposed to hit ..
I'm not exactly on the doorstep either to have a quick look ( 53 miles away ) .
I will get ( along with Wayne) a taste of the wind first as it travels down from Scotland ..but this area isn't forecast for the same amount of snow ..
I think we will wait until later to see what gets blown our way ...
It would really piss me off greatly to postpone but sometimes common sense has to prevail ..🥺
Edit : I know that I've always said that I don't ride on Sunday's..but I would make an exception for this Sunday ( which is supposed to be cold but beautifully sunny ) ..if it turns out that Saturday is a no-go and it suits others ..

Last edited:

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020
South East Northumberland
I’ll keep in touch Hodgie, not forecast for snow here but severe winds throughout the night. I imagine the A68 and A69 would be ok travel wise it’s the B and C roads that might be of concern. It’s a B*****d having to postpone this Saturday. The trails will still be there after this spat of weather has passed and although I love to ride the trails in the white stuff, 50mpg gusts of wind and a wind chill of -7deg, if any one of us should suffer a mechanical or worse things could go downhill very rapidly. I love the craic and banter when riding with this group so to postpone is the last thing I want to do…..but

can’t do this Sunday, nine coming for lunch……coz it’s my birthday 🥳

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020
Fingers crossed 🤞 I haven’t given up all hope for the morn…….
Didn’t think you liked roast leg of lamb and all the trimmings followed by blackberry and apple crumble and custard……….😂😂
Cheers pal 🤙

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
We’ll be up early and getting ready for a days ride wherever so if Hamsterley is hit by the Arctic storm and covered in the thick white stuff then I suppose common sense says maybe it’s not wise to go! We’ll keep checking the weather reports and looking on here for updates

There’s loads of traffic cams on websites that are good for live weather updates, I’ll see if I can find one near Hamsterley

Whitby Chris

Subscriber
Jul 13, 2021
Whitby
I have just been called into work regarding the weather for the weekend and need to be on stand by which is a bummer so I cant make it, on another note I have also just been informed that forestry England have just closed all their sites from tomorrow because of the high winds, so it's worth double checking I think Hamsterley might be shut

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020
The wind is blowing hard now with sleet mixed in……….been looking at the weather for Tow Law and it’s getting worse……-9 deg with wind chill added……sorry boys nd gal I’ve made my mind up and I’m gonna bin the morns ride……off in the shower then on the Guinness
See you all soon take care 🤙🤙

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
The wind is blowing hard now with sleet mixed in……….been looking at the weather for Tow Law and it’s getting worse……-9 deg with wind chill added……sorry boys nd gal I’ve made my mind up and I’m gonna bin the morns ride……off in the shower then on the Guinness
See you all soon take care 🤙🤙

BBC 6Music news just stated the north of England is expecting 100mph gusts tonight and tomorrow morning

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
I have also just been informed that forestry England have just closed all their sites from tomorrow because of the high winds, so it's worth double checking I think Hamsterley might be shut
On that basis, I am pulling out as I will have a 3 hour journey just to get there.

Re-schedule seems sensible now with a RED wind warning.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
On that basis, I am pulling out as I will have a 3 hour journey just to get there.

Re-schedule seems sensible now with a RED wind warning.

3 hr journey! Wow didn’t realise you had to travel that far Tony. Don’t blame you. I’ve just been looking at forecasts all across the North and they’re all saying sleet / snow with avg 50 mph wind. We might go to Leeds Urban for a blast, it’s only snowing there and not sleet, and a light breeze of only 40 mph :)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles