• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I know eMax doesn’t work with thelatest firmware but I think it’s just a matter of time - like iPhone jailbreakng.
On the Levo the assist power can be changed in the app so even Turbo mode can be set to 60% and it feels weak. That’s how last year I couldn’t keep up with my friend on a long climb when we tested two Levos. When we rode Stumpjumpers he was dying I always had to wait for him but my Levo had much less power. The end the guys confirmed that they played with the app and the max assist was set lower than 100%. It is still possible that the Bosch feels/is stronger just like my wife’s Yamaha PW feels stronger than my Shimano. The continuous power of the motors is 250W but the peak power is different and also, the measuring methods of the manufacturers. The representatives will say that their product is the best and when you complain about power they will say no, theirs has “more natural feel” and that’s why you think it’s less power. :) Same as the “excellent modulation” of SRAM brakes is a marketing term for lack of braking power. :)
The characteristics can also be far from each other. While the Yamaha PX has huge power at low (50-70) cadence but runs out @80rpm the E8000 is kind of the opposite. It starts higher and it fells like it will never run out. It took me a while to get used to it after riding the Yamaha a lot.
Probably the performance can be increased by hacking - like chip tuning with cars - but I don’t think it has a good effect on the engine, battery longevity and the drivetrain wear etc.

That’s interesting , I wonder if my demmo Levo had been turned down , it felt quite weak . Not a great idea for a demmo bike because it’s a really nice bike to ride
. Interesting what you say about the shimano , Its sweet spot is at the right cadence and happy to keep singing as fast as I can spin , it feels natural like the brose did but not as quiet , not impressed with battery life so far , Iam just hoping that’s a cold weather thing .

PeteIOM

Founding Member
Mar 11, 2018
Isle of Man
I agree with a lot of what is said in favour.. and appreciate that there is mass misunderstanding of what an ebike does.

Much like when someone says to me "Wow.. I love that photograph, you must have a really good camera!"... Yes I do, but that means shit in the scheme of things.
I feel the need to constantly tell people that yes it's an ebike with a motor.. but the image you are no holding in your head of a lawnmower type engine is wrong. Yes, it helps.. but I still have to put it in :)
One of the things I like about the restriction is that I can look back over my Strava data and say "yeah, that section was all me!" :LOL:

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Hungary/Bosnia and Herzegovina
That’s interesting , I wonder if my demmo Levo had been turned down , it felt quite weak . Not a great idea for a demmo bike because it’s a really nice bike to ride
. Interesting what you say about the shimano , Its sweet spot is at the right cadence and happy to keep singing as fast as I can spin , it feels natural like the brose did but not as quiet , not impressed with battery life so far , Iam just hoping that’s a cold weather thing .
Those guys were setting the Levo by mistake as they were playing with the app and they had no clue what they were doing... :)

I know E8000 battery life is not the greatest I tested it last week in optimal temperature (15-18 celsius) on mixed surface with Maxxis HRII 2,60 tires. The first battery was empty @48km/1400m (all ECO mode) I was 87kg geared up + a 10kg backpack.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
not impressed with battery life so far , Iam just hoping that’s a cold weather thing .
Me too, especially when I read about some of the rides our cousins from the colonies are doing.
I think you’re more generously proportioned like me and unfortunately all that timber is going to have an adverse effect on range as well.

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
Me too, especially when I read about some of the rides our cousins from the colonies are doing.
I think you’re more generously proportioned like me and unfortunately all that timber is going to have an adverse effect on range as well.
I certainly does make difference when I compare battery use to me 106kgs and my wife 68kgs same bikes same ride her battery use is loads less than mine and I have a bigger battery

PeteIOM

Founding Member
Mar 11, 2018
Isle of Man
Weight plays a massive part for sure.
Scott give weight guides that include the bike on their site.. for instance my bike is listed at 128kg (bike, rider and gear).. if this figure is general ball park for most bikes then at 100kg rider and gear you wouldn't be far off the max weight they suggest.
I know these are only there to meet regs etc.. but the figures we all base our idea of what we should be getting mileage wise are promo figures with probably 60kg+ waffer thin riders.. cause publishing battery life at my weight ain't gonna sell sh*t :)

I KNOW I have to pedal harder for the majority of ride to get decent mileage :)

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
battery state after 12 mile pedaly ride using trail mode i am using the Z works app, if I had been just using mission control settings I would have used more than twice that
battery.JPG

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Think I will try trail mode turned down a bit , it’s probably a bit high in its standard mode , It would be good if the computer gave more accurate range remaining readings though , when it says 12 miles and you only manage 2 miles before it goes on red it’s a bit annoying

The Black Pearl

Apr 4, 2018
Durham
Any one using BLEvo zworks on their Kenevo/ Levo , just downloaded app and looking for advice , first impressions are good with my Kenevo

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
I have used blevo and Zworks with my Levo the zworks is best on the IOS platform and blevo best on the android platform, they both do the same thing the Zworks author is the original "inventor" of the system I personally use the zworks sport ,power and madness settings depending on what im doing and I think its a massive improvement on motor response, and response is the keyword here the motor does not produce more power than the manufacturer intended, its just the way its provided.
I have had discussion with the author and in particular I asked why when the motor current is set to zero you get a much more responsive motor. His answer, "the specialized software has a bug" you can make of that what you will!!
the apps also allows to remove the speed restriction, thats a personal thing but just to reiterate you do not have to use that function to realise the other benefits and its illegal to use an unrestricted bike on public land

The Black Pearl

Apr 4, 2018
Durham
I have used blevo and Zworks with my Levo the zworks is best on the IOS platform and blevo best on the android platform, they both do the same thing the Zworks author is the original "inventor" of the system I personally use the zworks sport ,power and madness settings depending on what im doing and I think its a massive improvement on motor response, and response is the keyword here the motor does not produce more power than the manufacturer intended, its just the way its provided.
I have had discussion with the author and in particular I asked why when the motor current is set to zero you get a much more responsive motor. His answer, "the specialized software has a bug" you can make of that what you will!!
the apps also allows to remove the speed restriction, thats a personal thing but just to reiterate you do not have to use that function to realise the other benefits and its illegal to use an unrestricted bike on public land
Thanks for info Dave , it’s pretty much what I’m after better response to climbing rutted ascents etc , instant response real good , speed not that fussed , once you pointed Downhill The Kenevo flys

Hedge Monkey

Feb 25, 2018
Uk
How does Motor current set to zero help?
Could you explain a little more.
Would have thought 100%
Better as giving its all
Can’t quite get my head around it.

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
How does Motor current set to zero help?
Could you explain a little more.
Would have thought 100%
Better as giving its all
Can’t quite get my head around it.
I dont know the answer i got from the author of the app was “ there is a bug in the Specialized software i take advantage of that “ not very emlightening but having tried the app i can assure you it works. If you set the motor current to zero in the mission control app aparently its still at 20%!!!!???
Get the app and try it

Hedge Monkey

Feb 25, 2018
Uk
I dont know the answer i got from the author of the app was “ there is a bug in the Specialized software i take advantage of that “ not very emlightening but having tried the app i can assure you it works. If you set the motor current to zero in the mission control app aparently its still at 20%!!!!???
Get the app and try it
Tried today over a variety of terrain on the quantocks in Devon
Zero % how bezar.
Used z-works madness
Much more fluid as if the effort you put in was matched with the effort the Motor put out within the parameters of the mode.
Eg eco trail and turbo.
Really felt as one with bike more so than it just giving 10% 50%100% ect
The more effort i put in the more the bike gave back.
Used eco much more than usual and seams more economic on the battery.
Very impressed but I think the comments of getting out there and trying it is well worth it.
Glad i did don’t intend on turning it back...
Hope I don’t get thrashed for being the guinnie pig and giving my opinion but at least i tried it out!

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
Excellent mate im glad somebody else is experiencing the true worth of our brose motors, i use sport mode most of the time for local riding eco and trail mostly battery lasts miles longer. I did from my home to the verders trail in the Fod round the trail and back home total distance about 18 miles and only used 40% battery and i weigh 106 kgs with magic mary tyres.
The madness setting brilliant!!
Let me know more as you explore the app more

Hedge Monkey

Feb 25, 2018
Uk
Excellent mate im glad somebody else is experiencing the true worth of our brose motors, i use sport mode most of the time for local riding eco and trail mostly battery lasts miles longer. I did from my home to the verders trail in the Fod round the trail and back home total distance about 18 miles and only used 40% battery and i weigh 106 kgs with magic mary tyres.
The madness setting brilliant!!
Let me know more as you explore the app more
The Forest of Dean looking forward to getting there soon
Will keep experimenting with the app.
Out on a road ride this week to keep building stamina.

eNick

Apr 2, 2018
X7%ffIVgGz
Has anyone tried how these works in demanding terrain with rocks and roots ? Will it come off ?

E-Bike tuning with the badassBox for pedelecs with Shimano motor

I've tried the Yamaha version on fairly rough terrain, ...lots of deep thick mud and a stepped decent - nothing crazy but as my bike's a hardtail the rear probably takes more of a beating. No issues so far. It clips around the sensor and although it's only secured with a rubber O-ring, it's on the inside of the frame and so I'm not too worried about it.

What sold me about the badass box was the guys in the shop where I bought my bike from said their computer wasn't able to tell that a bike had been used with a badass box. Also it literally takes seconds to put on/take off (y)

Cyclejunkie

Founding Member
Mar 27, 2018
Deal Kent
Tried today over a variety of terrain on the quantocks in Devon
Zero % how bezar.
Used z-works madness
Much more fluid as if the effort you put in was matched with the effort the Motor put out within the parameters of the mode.
Eg eco trail and turbo.
Really felt as one with bike more so than it just giving 10% 50%100% ect
The more effort i put in the more the bike gave back.
Used eco much more than usual and seams more economic on the battery.
Very impressed but I think the comments of getting out there and trying it is well worth it.
Glad i did don’t intend on turning it back...
Hope I don’t get thrashed for being the guinnie pig and giving my opinion but at least i tried it out!
Hi did the app cost £13.99 on iOS is it zworks & how does it work please I’m rubbish at this sort of stuff sounds interesting.
Mick.

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
Hi did the app cost £13.99 on iOS is it zworks & how does it work please I’m rubbish at this sort of stuff sounds interesting.
Mick.
Yes thats the app but to be honest and i dont mean to be rude here but if i was you i would do some research first to understand what the app does, there is plenty of info on the net and the author of the app has a facebook page and he answers questions very quickly.
Once you have grasp as to what it does and how to use it i will be happy to help if i can

Cyclejunkie

Founding Member
Mar 27, 2018
Deal Kent
Yes thats the app but to be honest and i dont mean to be rude here but if i was you i would do some research first to understand what the app does, there is plenty of info on the net and the author of the app has a facebook page and he answers questions very quickly.
Once you have grasp as to what it does and how to use it i will be happy to help if i can
Ok Dave thanks ??

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
explanation of the BLEvo zues and zworks app its translated from Italian so bit hard to follow

Attachments

• Instruction manual for BLEvo.pdf
    878.4 KB · Views: 7,156

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles