• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Gym goers, need some advice - arm pump

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
to all you lot that hit the gym..
I have been doing 4-5 days a week for about 4-5 months now and love it, fitter, stronger etc..

one downside is that most lifting involves gripping and this involves forearms and that is causing me savage arm pump when I go riding, especially on steep tech.

is there any way around this?

Downhillr

Jul 2, 2021
SF Bay, California
I have been doing 4-5 days a week for about 4-5 months now and love it, fitter, stronger etc..

one downside is that most lifting involves gripping and this involves forearms and that is causing me savage arm pump when I go riding, especially on steep tech.

Possibly related to your weight routine… take break days between lifting sessions, might have an arm day alternate with legwork, also foam grip ball like a PT uses in rehab work help with strengthening finger grip. On the bike most arm pump is from over tight, stiff-arm gripping and braking so using a carbon bar, especially like the OneUp Components carbon e-bar along with ODI “Reflex” or similar style grips smooths out the chatter that tends to make you over grip.

Stoffel

Jun 16, 2021
Cotswolds UK
Take up Rock climbing then you’ll experience what real arm pump is!

After around 15 years of climbing I have never had arm pump on a bike, my legs on the other hand go to jelly way sooner than I’d like!

Ribinrobin

Subscriber
Apr 16, 2021
Berkshire, UK

take some down time, Recovery is important. 4/5 days is alot if your riding also

Zed

Feb 26, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
It’s a myth that heavy weight training causes arm pump. It neither causes it nor makes it better.
I disagree, I think it can make it better. I think being stronger and having well-conditioned muscles would help with arm pump. As in, the arm is going to take longer to fatigue given the same work. Just makes sense.

I agree technique/over tensioning is probably the cause more often though, but that aside...

Canyon Shawn

Feb 4, 2023
Lake Sherwood, California
Take up Rock climbing then you’ll experience what real arm pump is!

After around 15 years of climbing I have never had arm pump on a bike, my legs on the other hand go to jelly way sooner than I’d like!
Race pro open class motocross and you’ll find out what arm pump is. And, you’ll search for a solution until you find one. At least in rock climbing, you can stop and shake it off and then continue. In a motocross race, if you stop you’ll end up losing sponsors and finishing dead last. And, at times the arm pump gets so bad you just want to let go of the handlebars.

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
By far the best fix for arm pump is more arm pump!

Go to the bike park shuttle all day until you can no longer hold the handle bars...then shuttle some more. Go back again and again.

You will notice you get less and less arm pump until eventually you look like popeye.

The awesome byproduct of this training method. You will get say better at riding down!

Stuff the gym. Ride ya bike like ya stile it.

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
Race pro open class motocross and you’ll find out what arm pump is. And, you’ll search for a solution until you find one. At least in rock climbing, you can stop and shake it off and then continue. In a motocross race, if you stop you’ll end up losing sponsors and finishing dead last. And, at times the arm pump gets so bad you just want to let go of the handlebars.
I rode enduro, I know what you mean.. I never made it past clubman level and it was fookin hard work, especially hare and hounds.
KTM01.jpg

peace.jpg

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
One thing I learned when I rode MX a lot, is that arm pump is mostly a result of a shitty fork set up and/ or rigid handlebars.

Stoffel

Jun 16, 2021
Cotswolds UK
Yes if you’re climbing indoors or on a top rope outside you can stop and give in when it gets too bad and shake it out.
You can’t really do that when leading outside when you’re too far from your last piece of gear and facing serious injury or even death if you let go of the rock!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles