Guess the price

Hobo Mikey

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
May 22, 2020
Where ever
Took my Whyte E150 RS in for a service today. Have had the bike two years and eight months. Just over 1200 miles on the clock. In the past it has had a new chain and cassette, tyre etc eighteen months ago. This serve will include.
Silver service
Two new tyres (Maxxis)
Lower fork service
Motor check
Brake pad check
Fit chain guide ( supplied by me)
Dropper post sticking
And anything else that needs doing.
will let you know the price when I get it back tomorrow or Monday depending on when they finish it and my work shifts. 👍

Rostle32

Sep 26, 2018
Uk
IF THE TYRES ARE BEING SUPPLIED BY THE SHOP?? Y/N
TUBELESS ?? Y/N
NON STANDARD BRAKES?? Y/N
NON STANDARD DROPPER?? Y/N
IM GUESSING NEARER THE £400 MARK !!

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
1677104893520.png

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Two new tyres (Maxxis)
£70-85. Each, depending on compound, carcass, how well off you look when you drop the bike off. Plus new tape and sealant.
Lower fork service
£100-120
Motor check
Err, what exactly can they do? Nowt, so free.
Brake pad check
Free, but I'll be amazed if you don't "need" new pads
Fit chain guide ( supplied by me)
Depends on complexity, ie does chain ring need to be removed, but max £15
Dropper post sticking
Is it the post or cable? Dropper service, about £50, new cable £10-15
Silver service
What does that include?

I'm looking forward to hearing the final price, I reckon I could make some good money doing similar.

Wilbur

Dec 12, 2022
New Zealand
£70-85. Each, depending on compound, carcass, how well off you look when you drop the bike off. Plus new tape and sealant.

£100-120

Err, what exactly can they do? Nowt, so free.

Free, but I'll be amazed if you don't "need" new pads

Depends on complexity, ie does chain ring need to be removed, but max £15

Is it the post or cable? Dropper service, about £50, new cable £10-15

What does that include?

I'm looking forward to hearing the final price, I reckon I could make some good money doing similar.
Bike service estimation - priceless

Hobo Mikey

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
May 22, 2020
Where ever
Ok Drum roll please. This is the whats been done.
1 x Maxxis Dissector rear tyre
1 x Maxxis Minion front tyre
Both tubeless filled with Stans
lower fork service, new seals and grease up
dropper post cleaned up and greased up.
Brakes checked all ok
Chain guide fitted, supplied by me. ( from Whyte)
Motor checked and no faults.
silver service.
The final bill was £278.78
which I am happy with. (y)
so who ever was nearest with your guess, well done and I will buy you a pint if I see you out on the trails. :D

Last edited:

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Ok Drum roll please. This is the whats been done.
1 x Maxxis Dissector rear tyre
1 x Maxxis Minion front tyre
Both tubeless filled with Stans
lower fork service, new seals and grease up
dropper post cleaned up and greased up.
Brakes checked all ok
Bain guide fitted, supplied by me. ( from Whyte)
Motor checked and no faults.
The final bill was £278.78
which I am happy with. (y)
so who ever was nearest with your guess, well done and I will buy you a pint if I see you out on the trails. :D
So ~£200 labour.

Hobo Mikey

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
May 22, 2020
Where ever
Damn what shop was this.
Alf jones cycles in Gresford on the outskirts of Wrexham. Great bunch of guys and well stocked shop. Tyres are £70 each. Having a E bike ain’t cheap as you will dicover but it gives me miles of smiles and I can’t do the work myself so have to take it to peaple that know what thier doing. And I look after my bike so it looks after me. (y)

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020
South East Northumberland
Alf jones cycles in Gresford on the outskirts of Wrexham. Great bunch of guys and well stocked shop. Tyres are £70 each. Having a E bike ain’t cheap as you will dicover but it gives me miles of smiles and I can’t do the work myself so have to take it to peaple that know what thier doing. And I look after my bike so it looks after me. (y)
Fair enough and all at a reasonable cost………. all ready for the coming year no worries. At the end of the day Emtbs are expensive to maintain but they don’t half take some stick on the trails, all relative really

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
At my service station (my garage!) £0 .................I already have spare tyres, brake pads etc in the locker. Never been to a LBS!

Hobo Mikey

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
May 22, 2020
Where ever
At my service station (my garage!) £0 .................I already have spare tyres, brake pads etc in the locker. Never been to a LBS!
It still cost you to buy the tyres, brake pads etc. your lucky you can do it yourself and have the facility’s and tools etc. (y)

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020
South East Northumberland
I do all the mech maint on my Whyte E150 RS as it’s something I enjoy. The bike is going to get a real sorting in a few months (for its 3rd birthday). I’m slowly building up the spares and tools I need for shock and fork service, chainring, suspension bearings, seatpost service and freehub check.
Need to show it some love to keep it on the trails for as long as I can…can’t see me buying a replacement Whyte for a long time.

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
I'm generally too tight to pay for work done on a bike. Anyway, maintenance is part of the fun for me.

Rando_12345

Nov 16, 2022
France
Considering the tyres, that's a fairly good price from a shop.

However, I would point out that lower fork servicing can vary wildly from shop to shop, I have a local mechanic that does it for about 40e. Having done this myself, unless they are replacing seals which isn't usually required for the regular lowers servicing, it is quite a short and easy job.

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
A lower leg service is typically £100-£120. It is a short job but you need wiper seals, washers, lube & oil & the tools, space & time to do it. The materials are easily £40-£50 so it's not a black & white thing and that's before you get to inclination - not everyone wants to fiddle around with bikes when they could be out riding them. And of course people place different values on their time, for all I know £278 is a bargain for Mikey if he's got better things to do.

Don't look at me though, I can't see a bike without getting a twitchy spanner hand.

yorkshire89

E*POWAH Master
Sep 30, 2020
North Yorkshire
It's not actually a bad price for a shop including tyres.

Most of these can be easily done yourself with a track pump, tyre levers and basic tools though. Especially fitting new tyres, this is easy and a skill you really need to have incase you have issues out on the trail.

A lower leg service is typically £100-£120.
This is usually the price of a full service. Typically a lowers will just involve replacing foam rings, fork oil and washers if needed. I wouldn't replace seals for a lower service but would clean and lube them, then have them replaced when sending off for a full service.

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
I'd define a lower leg service as oil, crush washers, wiper seals & lube air spring. Full service is an elastic term. A motion control Pike is a different prospect from a charger damper Lyrik. To me, it's a lower + damper + seals/o-rings all round. My local guy is £120 & doesn't differentiate between the two types of service. Seems to be doing ok.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles