Grip shifter ……..thoughts?

Howz

Oct 12, 2019
Chester
came across a new sram grip shifter on eBay going cheaply (didn’t realise they were a thing years ago) so thought why not :unsure: have only been down the road so far to make sure it’s shifting ok, I understand that they make braking and shifting at the same time a bit more challenging as well, but thought I’ll give it a go and can always change back if I don’t like, what’s your thoughts? Do you use a grip shifter?

D9FFEFA8-6B67-41A3-B985-B360E517669F.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: Dax

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I had grip shifters on a 3x once, many years ago. At the time, I thought they were OK and never gave them a second thought. Then I got a bike with proper shifters and suddenly knew what I had been missing. There is no way that I would opt for grip shifters ever. But I suppose that if I had missing fingers, or weak fingers through arthritis, then twist grips may be a solution that worked better than levers. I say "may" because I don't know for sure. I would not want to be in a position where I had to find out!

jsharpe

May 15, 2019
USA
I've loved and preferred grip shifters over the years on a number of bikes and had zero problems with inadvertent shifts. Only reason I haven't swapped for them on my current bike is I'm contemplating moving to AXS.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I believe some of the XC guys are using modified custom gripshifters with AXS - SRAM also make a grip shift suspension lockout and dropper post control.

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
My LBS owner has a damaged right hand. Can't operate brakes or a normal shifter. His bikes have a grip shifter on the right and dual brakes on the left.

It keeps him riding so grip shifters for the win!

Gordon

Reactions: Dax

Mabman

Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
I hated Grip Shift when I first tried them in the 80's. Can't remember exactly how I ended up with a push bike with one on there in the early 2000's but bonded with them and have used them ever since. No inadvertant shifting ever and as long as all is tuned and lubed very precise shifts up, down and for multiple cog adjustments. I ride technical terrain all the time with 0 issues. Can't really say that they will work for everyone but they sure do for me! I like being able to keep my thumb wrapped around the bar at all times I guess? Being a Yank my rear brake is on the right so shifting isn't a problem while braking because I brake with my front first.

In fact I have a new BH AtomX bike coming end of the week with Deore and I will more than likely put the 12spd Grip shifter and Eagle derailleur I have that I took off my E22 bike in favor of an 11spd setup that is a cheap and strong Sensah derailleur/cassette with a SRAM 11 spd grip shifter. They just happen to match up 1:1 and are working great together.

Also SRAM still makes grip shift stuff as mentioned and also in different kit levels. I just use the $40 ones.

Polish Throttle .jpg

Last edited:

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
I never liked having to place my wrist in an awkward position in a technical section if I needed to dump a bunch of gears quickly. I prefer a consistent arm/wrist position when riding.

weihlac

Subscriber
Oct 12, 2020
USA
came across a new sram grip shifter on eBay going cheaply (didn’t realise they were a thing years ago) so thought why not :unsure: have only been down the road so far to make sure it’s shifting ok, I understand that they make braking and shifting at the same time a bit more challenging as well, but thought I’ll give it a go and can always change back if I don’t like, what’s your thoughts? Do you use a grip shifter?
Because of arthritis in my thumbs, I have used a grip shifter on all my mtn bikes including my Levo. It works quite well and is easier to shift more than 1 gear at a time. I am quite used to it and have no problem with shifting and braking, and no problem with inadvertent shifts.

Manc44

Jun 22, 2021
Manchester
I'm glad these things exist for one reason only - it means there's an Ergon GP1 Gripshift version and that's perfect to use with my left handed half-twist throttle. As for using Gripshift shifters, horrible the times I have used them, stiff shifting, blister inducing.

Howz

Oct 12, 2019
Chester
Had a good ride with the grip shifter yesterday…………..not for me, have changed back………..will be going in the for sale section … £20 posted (you may need a new inner cable)

Manc44

Jun 22, 2021
Manchester
Had a good ride with the grip shifter yesterday…………..not for me, have changed back………..will be going in the for sale section … £20 posted (you may need a new inner cable)

Was it stiff to twist it to lower gears? I've never tried one that isn't.

If they were easier to shift with then I can see how they might be better than rapidfire.

The cable fitting in the cheap ones I tried were a pain as well, it had a tiny screw you had to undo. What am I a jeweler? 🤭

Howz

Oct 12, 2019
Chester
Not stiff to shift at all, cable looks easy enough to change as well.

2WHLFUN

Apr 27, 2022
Trinidad, CO
I grew up riding motorcycles and grip shift feels natural to me. I’m also left handed so take that into account. Ha ha

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles