Greetings from Oregon

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
I like it, a global forum that has a chance of focusing on what really matters about e bikes. E bikes.

Have been messing about with small engines and motors on bicycles since 2000. My first 24v SLA front hub motor was a taste in 01' of what I knew the future would bring.

I'm a kit guy til things settle down as I find it easier, and not mention cheaper, to adopt new technology as it comes along. I have bikes I like both mtb and all road type for different reasons and that is why they have vastly different setups. 1000w hub for road with a throttle, no PAS and 780w peak Torque Assist PAS mid drive for the trails.

All for now but I look forward to learning more about e bikes here and without further ado here are the bikes I have currently. In ascending order of age and assembly.

fullsizeoutput_8ba.jpeg

IMG_5117.JPG

IMG_0168.JPG

Varaxis

Founding Member
Feb 5, 2018
California, USA
Would love to ride Oregon trails on an ebike, if access improved. Too bad some of the nicest trails aren't ebike legal, such as McKenzie River Trail.

Was that some sort of "Spooky Cross" course going through the pumpkin patch?

Also, what's your opinion on how much power is enough and which config offers the most bicycle-like experience?

Mabman

Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
Funny I have'nt had any access issues riding here ever. I tend to wander off the beaten track on my mtb though.
1F61AFE2-9A1B-40D2-9CCB-209CF3737B1C.jpg

That was from SSCXWC17 which was held about 5 miles from my house. Sven Nice was there and it was too cool seeing him in action.

My road type bikes are good for pavé and gravé and light trail duty as well.

IMG_4899.JPG

Mabman

Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
Also, what's your opinion on how much power is enough and which config offers the most bicycle-like experience?

It depends on what your interpretation of a bicycle like experience is I suppose. I assume you mean the best human output to motor output interface factoring in expected riding conditions? That is why I have a road type bike set up one way and the e mtb pretty differently.

For road use I reel that anything under 1000w, legal here in the OR btw, is not worth having the extra weight and complexity on the bike and anything more might as well get a motorcycle. While my road bikes can do over 30 I rarely go there due mainly to battery/ride length management. The important reason I use a front hub is that it totally isolates the bikes drivetrain from the motor output. At higher cadences I find this to be important and also the ability to vary your cadence sometimes without changing speed over ground. My CA3 has a cruise control function that I use all the time instead of PAS which just excaberates the " magic legs" syndrome I find annoying. I like to feel my contact with the road. For this you need proper gear ratios which I achieve with the use of Schlumpf's. I also am trying out an Alfine Di2 system on V2 which is pretty slick.
IMG_5101.JPG

Although I don't have any problems, used judiciously, climbing with my hub bikes for mtb and the lower cadences associated with it I am happy with a torque sensing PAS and even the kit one I have, TSDZ2, 15A, 52v, works great for grunting up long steep low traction terrain. I do have a throttle but I only use it for starting out and once in awhile helping as a walk assist up too steep terrain. The 780w peak motor on my mtb is all the power I will ever need for trail use. It even gets along pretty well to the trailhead, I did a 21 mile group road ride on it a few weeks ago and had no issues holding <20mph pace. With 15psi in both tyres. I rarely use more than eco.

In conclusion I personally I have found my most realistic bicycle like experience to depend on my parameters that I carry over from analog cycling. Bike fit is important and I have that part down and being able to control pedal input without the motors interference is what works for me.

Varaxis

Founding Member
Feb 5, 2018
California, USA
Excellent! Your experience is a great resource. I find that I search for a "bicycle-like" experience, since I still keep non-ebikes around and much of my skills were learned on a regular bicycle. I worry that a front heavy bike might prevent my ability to bunny hop or whatever.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles