Greetings from Fairbanks, Alaska

AKOutfitter

Apr 9, 2018
Fairbanks, Alaska
Hi all!

My wife told me I couldn’t buy a Fat e-bike,.. I would have to buy two! Got his and hers Felt Outfiiters from our local bike store in mid-January 2018. Since then, I've ridden almost 400 Miles on Interior Alaskan winter trails. Most of these have taken advantage of both e-assist and “d-assist”. I hook up two huskies that I've trained for skijoring, and we bikejor. Running studded Dillinger 5 tires on mine and Wrathchild 4.6 on wife’s bike with pressures between 4 and 7 psi. Been using a neoprene battery cover and a custom frame bag with an insulated battery wrap to extend battery range in the cold.

4399D18A-B929-4669-90CE-0BB155A0E777.jpeg

Would love to hear how others riding e-bikes in cold weather ( down to -15°F / -25°C ) are getting on.

76CAADFD-051F-4094-A277-12287CD8F78C.jpeg

Last edited:

eFat

Founding Member
Feb 4, 2018
Switzerland
Welcome!

I have the "civil" version of your bike, the Lebowske. I'm jealous of your snow...

I never had the "chance" to ride below -15°C but I don't usually go out for more than 2 hours so the battery is ok even in the cold.

Shane’s1000rr

Apr 4, 2018
County Durham
Hi all!

My wife told me I couldn’t buy a Fat e-bike,.. I would have to buy two! Got his and hers Felt Outfiiters from our local bike store in mid-January 2018. Since then, I've ridden almost 400 Miles on Interior Alaskan winter trails. Most of these have taken advantage of both e-assist and “d-assist”. I hook up two huskies that I've trained for skijoring, and we bikejor. Running studded Dillinger 5 tires on mine and Wrathchild 4.6 on wife’s bike with pressures between 4 and 7 psi. Been using a neoprene battery cove and a custom frame bag with an insulated battery wrap to extend battery range in the cold.
View attachment 974

Would love to hear how others riding e-bikes in cold weather ( down to -15°F / -25°C ) are getting on. View attachment 973
Hi cracking pics mate great introduction that ??

AKOutfitter

Apr 9, 2018
Fairbanks, Alaska
Welcome!

I have the "civil" version of your bike, the Lebowske. I'm jealous of your snow...

I never had the "chance" to ride below -15°C but I don't usually go out for more than 2 hours so the battery is ok even in the cold.
The Lebowske looks sweet and a bit sportier. The Outfitter's camo paint job kind of grows on you, but I think the Lebowske looks a lot cleaner. Did yours come with Dropper post and the Bluto fork? I've thought about going with a suspension fork in summer, but heard the seals can fail on both shocks and droppers in the cold. For this year, I'm going to just switch out to the stock 4" Jumbo Jims after the snow is gone and play with tire pressures.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles