Greetings from California

srileo

Apr 11, 2019
San Francisco, CA, USA
Hello all,
looking to get an eMTB in the next few months. Doing my research. Being a stone's throw away from Specialized's home base, i am leaning towards the Turbo Levo base or Comp. Need advise on wether the extra $1000 is worth it for the comp given that i am a relative n00b to regular MTB.
Also wondering why there are so few american riders on this forum....

Shridhar

Hi, I'm a Brit living Santa Barbara, central coast California. I think that the USA is lagging behind Europe in Ebike acceptance at the moment. Sales are starting to increase but it is trail access that is holding back E mountain biking. Unfortunately most of my local trails are now off limits to Ebikes! New signs have recently gone up stating this! See enclosed:
It seems crazy that California has recognized Class 1 ebikes the same as regular bikes BUT left it up to to regional city, county and forest areas to decide their own access rules. So in most areas we are now regarded as powered vehicles like motos and quads!
There is also some ignorance and trail snobbery - some people feel that if you didn't get up the hill under your own steam then you shouldn't be allowed on the trail (but funny how they don't have a problem being shuttled!) and they just want to keep the trails to themselves.
It seems crazy that California, home of iPhone and Tesla is taking this stance against ebikes.
Things will change as ebikes become more popular but it may take some time as unfortunately there are Politicians and lawyers involved!
Rant over!

IMG_4195.JPG

SLOTownLevo

Sep 19, 2020
San Luis Obispo
Hi, I just joined the forum and saw your post. I’m in San Luis Obispo. I’ve notice a little “no pedal assist” sign on a trail near my house as well. It does seem silly in that I’m not any faster than an experienced rider. In fact, I am likely quite a bit slower at this point. It seems more education needs to be had, so as to bring on a wider understanding/acceptance.

Stay safe and be well!

Mark

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles