Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Stash.jpg

Price paid: Not much .
Score (out of 10): 7

Some on bike storage solutions from GRANITE. I didn't buy the head stem tool as it seemed too pokey and with the fitting system it's then expensive and pokey. It's a shame wolftooth or someone don't make a stem version of the Encase Hex bit wrench with some extra features. At least that design gives you most of the bit sizes you'd ever need unlike most of the compromised stem tools.

So firstly .. The TALON Tyre Levers.

These sit together for storage (but don't click together, so they just fall apart if you let go of them, there's no clever magnet or anything here).

With one lever one way and one the other, they slide together to make a quick link removal pliers.

Talon1.jpg

The two holes in one lever let you click in the two halves of a quick link. These click in securely.

Talon2.jpg

When joined together, they don't line up exactly, but they still work as intended.

Talon3.jpg

As tyre levers they seem substantial and like you could swing on them like an angry gorilla all day. As a clever multi tool to do as many things as possible whilst trying to keep size and weight down with your gear, they're a bit sh1t really.

Something like the Topeak Power Lever "X" - it has to have the "X" (the none X has plastic teeth which snap off) - is a far far better tool for less money :

powerleverx.jpg

Next Up, The STASH chain tool.

This can be stored in a handlebar end or a hollow axle crank.

Doesn't do anything more than it says. If they'd had a second beer when designing it, they could have made the chain section large enough to squeeze a link in. Then, you could have wound in the chain breaker to break a quick link if you dropped the link in flat on the toold and had the two next links vertical - in a U shape.

Interesting, unlike many handlebar tools, these can be used with open ended or closed ended grips. You just slide them in, tighten them up with a 3mm allen key - which squishes the rubber collar and forces it to expand, trapping the unit in the bars. If you're on closed end grips, just slide the grip back over and it's safely protected in there.

ch1.jpg

The main thing to watch for here is the "T" bar. On mine I needed pliers to release it the first time. Once lubed and re-inserted several times it was fine to store and remove by hand, but if you'd tried it out on the trail in an emergency, you'd be swearing a lot.

The two holes either side enable you to store a quick link, whilst the o-ring slips over them to hold them in place.

ch2.jpg

And finally .. the Stash Tyre Plug ..

A clean and simple little tool for emergencies.

Tyre1.jpg

Comes with a reamer and fork plus, in my case 5 strips of 1.5mm bacon and 5 strips of 3.5mm bacon. Or facon, or whatever takes your fancy ..

Tyre2.jpg

You can't actually fit them all in the tool though. I managed all the 1.5's and a cut down strip of 2 * 3.5's. In fairness, the instructions say it only comes with 2 of each, so who's complaining ! :)

As you can see, the tool itself is a little short to easily re-assemble with bacon on board. If you screw the middle tube on and then try to screw on the fork end, it hits the bacon. So you have to screw the middle tube onto the fork end, slide that over the bacon and then wobble, twist and screw it onto the reamer end so the strips get forced into the fork end past the wider threaded section. Or I guess you could cut you bacon 5mm shorter.

One nice touch is the o-rings on the ends so air can't get in and you bacon should stay nice and moist ...

Tyre3.jpg

EDIT : Snapped the levers trying to remove a particularly tight quick link. Sent a picture to Granite and they're sending a replacement :) - So good after sales support !!!

Last edited:

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
I’ve got the stash chain tool and it’s neatly stashed in my bars, haven’t had to use it yet though. One thing to be aware of, the T bar can work its way loose (when screwed into the end), so you end up with a nasty rattle inside your bars, but whilst bombing down a trail you might think its something else loose at first, so you’ve been warned!

Also, glad I had this stashed in my left hand bar as my right hand bar got mashed up in my recent spill so I do wonder what would have happened to this tool if it was on the the other side. Probably would have been stuck inside the bars forever!

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I might stick some loctite on the thread :unsure: :ROFLMAO: I guess a tiny bit of tape would do it. I did tighten it tight by hand as hard as it would go. Could drill a hole through it I guess so you could tighten it/loosen it with a small allen key on the trail.

It might have made your bar end stronger ?? ..

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
I might stick some loctite on the thread :unsure: :ROFLMAO: I guess a tiny bit of tape would do it. I did tighten it tight by hand as hard as it would go. Could drill a hole through it I guess so you could tighten it/loosen it with a small allen key on the trail.

It might have made your bar end stronger ?? ..

Yes I used my magic duct tape, just a little snippet on the T bar thread, worked a treat ?

And yes it could well have, but I won’t know unless I do it all over again, which is highly likely ?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Just tried the Granite Stash with the One Up "E-bar".

Sadly they won't slide down because of the raised interior of the bar which accommodates the cable run..

1697717101366.png

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles