GPS for ride recording and link to strava

Shaun Joslin

Feb 23, 2020
Co7 0jq
Hi all, I am sure this has been asked before and sorry if it has.

I have been using my phone gps to record strava rides but lately there have been GPS issues (shows spikes on my routes when I view the ride) i have also tried a fitbit ionic of which was unreliable.

What have you found is the most accurate unit for recording rides that links with strava.

All suggestions/ recommendations appreciated

:)

Lexinoo

Sep 21, 2019
Cannock chase
I've got a Garmin edge 130 for on the bike and also a Garmin forerunner 35 watch that I bought for running but have used it when on the bike occasionally.. Both have been faultless. Cost me £90 each at Christmas.
Neither would be any good for maps /navigation though.

Shaun Joslin

Feb 23, 2020
Co7 0jq
I've got a Garmin edge 130 for on the bike and also a Garmin forerunner 35 watch that I bought for running but have used it when on the bike occasionally.. Both have been faultless. Cost me £90 each at Christmas.
Neither would be any good for maps /navigation though.

So are they purely just for route recording?, ideally something that could also be used for navigation would be good, as i sometimes plan trail routes and upload to my phone and follow when riding solo

Lexinoo

Sep 21, 2019
Cannock chase
I think you can load routes on the 130 for a really basic breadcrumb map, but I haven't tried it and I don't think that is really what it's for. It is very small (which is what I wanted)It shows time, distance,speed, average speed etc and has Bluetooth for phone notifications and heart rate/power sensors etc. All the information can then be viewed in detail on Garmin connect,and it uploads automatically to Strava if you request it to. For maps you would really need one of the bigger Garmin's or a Wahoo elmnt ?

Shaun Joslin

Feb 23, 2020
Co7 0jq
I think you can load routes on the 130 for a really basic breadcrumb map, but I haven't tried it and I don't think that is really what it's for. It is very small (which is what I wanted)It shows time, distance,speed, average speed etc and has Bluetooth for phone notifications and heart rate/power sensors etc. All the information can then be viewed in detail on Garmin connect,and it uploads automatically to Strava if you request it to. For maps you would really need one of the bigger Garmin's or a Wahoo elmnt ?
Ok, good info, thanks Lexinoo :)

Astom22

Jan 11, 2020
Celina, TX
I just picked up the Garmin Edge 530 and could not be happier. It even links with my ebike and records cadence, etc. I'm still learning all it can do, just had it a few days, but I do know you can input rides into the gps and it comes preloaded with all the trails from Trailforks. It will even warn you on trails if you are coming into a tight turn too fast with a little beep (I don't ride that fast, but it is a nice feature on new trails).

Shaun Joslin

Feb 23, 2020
Co7 0jq
I just picked up the Garmin Edge 530 and could not be happier. It even links with my ebike and records cadence, etc. I'm still learning all it can do, just had it a few days, but I do know you can input rides into the gps and it comes preloaded with all the trails from Trailforks. It will even warn you on trails if you are coming into a tight turn too fast with a little beep (I don't ride that fast, but it is a nice feature on new trails).
Just been looking at that and the 830 ?

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
What made you go for the 830 rather than 530?

I had an 810 and then an 820. Reverting to buttons instead of a touch screen would seem like a backward step.
The UI is pretty much the same on the 820 and 830, so I know how it works straight out of the box.

Astom22

Jan 11, 2020
Celina, TX
Just been looking at that and the 830 ?
I didn't want the touch screen, would rather have the physical buttons and no smudges on the screen. Wasn't worth the higher price to me. I don't think the 830 does much more, besides the touch screen interface. I will say, it didn't take me long at all to get the buttons down either.

I'm trying to up my "flow" score and it is a lot of fun. It's an interesting addition to riding and fun to push for smoother riding. The way it integrates with the e-bike is nice too.

The jump score is a nice touch too. It rates you on your distance, speed, and landings. Got a 99 today and was pretty happy with that, since I'm not a big jumper, but hit a nice speed jump just right and it felt smooth. Seeing the score later was nice.

Shaun Joslin

Feb 23, 2020
Co7 0jq
I didn't want the touch screen, would rather have the physical buttons and no smudges on the screen. Wasn't worth the higher price to me. I don't think the 830 does much more, besides the touch screen interface. I will say, it didn't take me long at all to get the buttons down either.

I'm trying to up my "flow" score and it is a lot of fun. It's an interesting addition to riding and fun to push for smoother riding. The way it integrates with the e-bike is nice too.

The jump score is a nice touch too. It rates you on your distance, speed, and landings. Got a 99 today and was pretty happy with that, since I'm not a big jumper, but hit a nice speed jump just right and it felt smooth. Seeing the score later was nice.
read a review on 530 today seems to be the best GPS for the money, i think the only advantage i could see for the 830 was being able to enter an address from the device to be able to navigate to (like a car satnav) and POI. Sounds like the button arrangement is fairly easy to use. I wasnt sure to be honest as everything these days is touch screen. I know the touchscreen is supposed to work with gloves but I have found phones frustrating to use even with touchscreen friendly gloves.
Just need to find a good deal now and convince the missus its a good idea ?

Astom22

Jan 11, 2020
Celina, TX
read a review on 530 today seems to be the best GPS for the money, i think the only advantage i could see for the 830 was being able to enter an address from the device to be able to navigate to (like a car satnav) and POI. Sounds like the button arrangement is fairly easy to use. I wasnt sure to be honest as everything these days is touch screen. I know the touchscreen is supposed to work with gloves but I have found phones frustrating to use even with touchscreen friendly gloves.
Just need to find a good deal now and convince the missus its a good idea ?
Either one would be a great option, that's for sure.

fisha

Feb 17, 2020
Scotland
Just as an alternative to the Garmins ... I have an Wahoo Elemnt Bolt. Love it. Its just been one of those things that 'just works', time in, time out for me.

Whilst it generally needs the phone to be setup in the first place, it doesn't need it when out and about. I have mine setup that I just start recording the ride, and when finished it will automatically upload itself to the Wahoo app, Strava and Ride with GPS. Quite often, if I return home and within range of the house wifi, I hit the stop button, and within 15 seconds, my phone beeps from Strava to say the ride is ready to view.

I've only had issues with the accuracy when going through very dense trees, which was to be expected. Even then, it didnt show spiky lines, just straight lines between the points it got an accurate signal.

Battery life great, screen always on and visible. Little LED's showing various information of your choosing.

Has a basic map installed showing roads (but not names), some paths etc. Can pre-load routes onto it through various sites ( I use Ride with GPS personally ) and it will give turn directions where it can. << This has been extremely useful in some situations ... one recently being up on moors and having taken a wrong path ( deliberately as a bit of an explore ), but ended up having to cross open moor in cloud cover back to the known track. ... following the line saved the day, as visbility was less than 30m.

All in all, its been a very worthwhile investment I reckon. I use it across all my bikes.

sneakycheese

Dec 9, 2022
New forest
As this post is two years old has tech come on since ?

I'm presuming that needing a separate GPS and map solution like youve mentioned in this post, is now not irrelevant

Can new Bosch Kiox and Nyon bike computer perform these functions.

Can I plan a off-road route at home and follow it on the bike computer and also tie in my heart data and log it.

paquo

Jul 31, 2018
usa
As this post is two years old has tech come on since ?

I'm presuming that needing a separate GPS and map solution like youve mentioned in this post, is now not irrelevant

Can new Bosch Kiox and Nyon bike computer perform these functions.

Can I plan a off-road route at home and follow it on the bike computer and also tie in my heart data and log it.
the good news is the 530 works brilliantly
the bad news is bosch ebikes dont work wth gps units
so you wont get cadence,speed, power outbut. BUT the 530 mtb kit comes with a cadence sensor and remote and you get gps speed--as well as heart rate if you get an optional sensor

you should be able to plan a route on the bosch, i didn't have much luck with it

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles