Giant Reign E+ 2022 pivot bolt rubbing problem - catastrophic brake failure possible

goroncy

May 1, 2020
Munich
There is a problem with the design of cable routing in the rear bottom pivot area. The cables/hoses are rubbing against the pivot bolt. I noticed it today. The bolt itself will probably survive till the end of life of the bike, but the brake hose will not. Be careful people cause it may damage the rear brake hose and that can lead to an accident, injury or worse. In many different models of different companies there is a special swivel at this area that prevents rubbing. Here nothing like that is to be found.
DSC_3422.JPG

goroncy

May 1, 2020
Munich
I think that I finally found a product that solves the problem. Took me a while. 2nd time in 6 months commencal rescues my arsh. EDIT: The price is prohibitive. It costs 10EUR plus 19EUR for delivery to Germany :/.

I don't know it the size of the part that goes into the pivot is correct though.

It seems that Trek has something similar to offer:

Yet another product. This one is too big I think but the idea is similar:

This is how it was dealt with in my previous bike (Simplon Rapcon PMAX):

eMTB-grouptest-2019-19-Simplon-Rapcon-PMAX-044-2-1140x760.jpg

Last edited:

trailaddict

Jul 7, 2021
Alps
The brake hose is protected by a liner from the fab. If you keep an eye on it nothing should happen.

My solution consists of a zip tie and a plastic washer from a tubeless valve. Costs almoast nothing and is installed in no time.
IMG_20230127_122541.jpg

Last edited:

goroncy

May 1, 2020
Munich
The brake hose is protected by a liner from the fab. If you keep an eye on it nothing should happen.

My solution consists of a zip tie and a plastic washer from a tubeless valve. Costs almoast nothing and is installed in no time. View attachment 105294

Hi again. I did something similar following your idea. My problem was that I had to file the zip tie a bit in order for everything to work. But in the end it looks pretty much the same.

The problem is I'm a bit worried that the zip tie will nibble a round hole in the hex pivot bolt. I did my best to make the whole thing this way that when the frame compresses this new contraption moves together with the bolt, buy I don't know if it will work or not. Can you make some more pictures to show how exactly your solution interfaces the frame? Does it go together with the bolt (that rotates) or it stays in place?

trailaddict

Jul 7, 2021
Alps
Why don't you put the bike in a repair stand, remove the shock and see how things are moving?

If you are afraid the zip tie is rubbing inside the bolt, you could put a heat shrink tubing over it to stop doing so

Another option is to use a hex threaded socket with internal thread and a break hose holder:
1675870493750.png
+
1675870579122.png
+
1675870656131.png

If you don't like any of these options, put some slapper tape on top of the pivot bolt.

Furhermore, the hex pivot bolt is available as a spare part if you ever encounter serious wear on it.

Here are some Pics of my current solution:
2022_Reign_Pivot_left.jpg
2022_Reign_Pivot_right.jpg

I've used a 2,5 x 200mm Zip tie an some plastik washers.
It can move inside the bolt but I don't consider this as a problem.
I have decided to not live in fear and just give it a go and check at the end of the season how it worked.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles